AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 09-17-2016, 03:00 PM

I think what you need are a few bass traps, which you may have already determined/planned on yourself. For now maybe you could swap out some of the panels on your ceiling and move then to the back wall. Also have you tried less toe-in with your speakers (which likely will require moving the panels on yor side wall. You could also experiment by hanging a heavy blanket behind your listening chair and see if that makes any difference. I know how difficult room size can be and I think my room is even smaller than your and more square which is less than ideal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-569483292.jpg (71.9 KB, 58 views)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.

Last edited by DonBattles; 09-17-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWLover View Post
Getting diffusers for the rear wall is definitely on the list, I just can't afford it right now unfortunately. Could I divide up those panels on that wall into a checker board fashion as a poor man's diffuser? Would that be better than the three strips?
A heavy tall bookcase on that wall, filled with non-absorptive stuff could do the trick. I would also get a couple of small coffee tables that you could scatter around the room, which would aid diffusion as well.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM

I managed to get the bass response a bit better. I took the chair out of the room, played some bass heavy music, and walked back and forth in the middle of the room to see where it sounded the best. And as it turns out, it was pretty much dead on the 38% rule! So now my chair is 38% the rooms length from the rear wall. I think this is as good as my bass is going to get for now, until I get bass traps. I toyed with speaker positions as well. They're now a bit farther from the walls and the speakers sound more airy to the left of the left speaker and right of the right, it's pretty nice. One thing I am wondering about is if I should change my rear wall treatment to a checker board fashion? And if you think I should, should I start at the top of the wall, or have them around the same height as the rest of the treatment?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Any advice for my rear wall treatment?
Old 10-31-2016, 01:33 PM

You can use a bookcase loaded with different depths of books and objects that help diffuse/scatter the sound back into the room. Make it as random as possible. Good storage for records, CD's etc.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
You can use a bookcase loaded with different depths of books and objects that help diffuse/scatter the sound back into the room. Make it as random as possible. Good storage for records, CD's etc.
+1 .
Old 10-31-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWLover View Post
What I did with the side walls was the mirror trick basically. But I also added another set on the side walls for the second first reflections basically, I'm not sure how else to word that haha.

Congrats on the room!

Every room and speaker is different. But I had the same reaction re: placing the speakers deep in the corners. I find the width of my sound stage also links to my toe-in. You might try bringing the speakers closer together, closer to you and then play with the toes.

Endless fun! Have you played with RoomEQ? It has been hugely beneficial for me.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 AM
Racing Hoopties

From my experience, and since you have learned a little about how your room responds to speaker position and listening position changes, I would suggest you learn the Sumiko Master process by following it. You can find it here on AA. There are others here who truly are 'masters' in this setup process but I think you should optimize your SP and LP that way first and then work on your room treatments. It seems now you are working with too many variables so fix the SP and LP and go from there.

It works!!!

Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack