AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 AM

I have a VPI Super Scoutmaster and always had issues with distortion on the inner tracks of some LPs.

Disabling the mechanical anti-skate made it go away entirely without introducing any new issues, so now I run with just the wire twist.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer59 View Post
Thanks for the response. I haven't used the anti skate on my Scout. My understanding is that VPI recommends not using it.

I'm inclined to think something needs adjustment since I have two completely different pressings of that specific album (the 4MWB and orig US RCA) and both exhibit the same distortion in the same place. I'll try and play with the VTF this weekend. If I can figure out how to do it.
VPI / Harry W. often suggests to disconnect the anti-skate. There is a fair amount of controversy on the subject and enough people think a-s is a feature they want that VPI feels compelled to include it on their arms. That the stylus gets pulled toward the center of the record is independent of any particular brand. I currently don't have a VPI arm, but if it has a small weight on a bar or similar, think of it like the weight on your tonearm. The weight may be threaded or accept a hex key to loosen it so it can be moved. You might try using the anti-skate to see if it helps with the distortion as well try what BillK mentions - disconnecting it entirely.

Keep in mind that when asking about distortion in one channel, anti-skate is pretty much a stock answer but other causes are possible.

If the distortion is in both channels equally, that may not be an anti-skate issue. Could (still) be a tracking (force) issue or alignment or a host of other possibilities.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the responses. I messed around with anti skate and notified different settings moved the distortion around. One setting completely move the distortion to the right channel. However, I couldn't find the optimal distortion free setting So I increased the tracking force slightly by moving the counterweight forward. This actually clears up almost all of the distortion. Now I just get a very very slight amount when she hits the note. So I think in close to getting this resolved. I just don't want to mess too much with it since I don't have a scale to measure.

I'm thinking an answer to my problems is probably installing a Soundsmith Counterintuitive. Dos anyone have experience with one?

Last edited by racer59; 02-05-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:26 PM

So increasing VTF solved my problem for this album but created another one. Everything started sounding dull, soundstage collapsed and bass was dramatically reduced. So I bought a gauge and found I had increased the tracking force to 3.3 grams.

My cartridge is a Dynavector 20xM. The specs are 1.8 to 2.2 grams. So I adjusted the tracking force to 2.3 and was pretty happy with the sound. However, I decided to reduce it since I wanted to stay within the recommended tracking force. I went to 2.10 and now I'm finding the sound to be just a tad bright I much preferred 2.3.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:13 PM

I'm not an expert when it comes to analog setups but I was wondering if there's a mismatch between the arm and cart. Some arms are suited to high compliance carts, I think. Some aren't. The exact reasons why and the exact terminology escapes me. Maybe someone else can chime in.