AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Yes, you can run it non stop 24/7. Don't fret so much about the break-in time, you might not hear much difference after 100 hours or so. Some do some don't.

Yes, the DS just needs to be playing music and the Amp/Preamp does not be on.

A 2GB SD is recommended. A 4GB SD may or may not work.

Enjoy the DAC.

Ron
Thanks Ron!
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 PM

Ron

Actually the one that came in the box with mine was a 4 gb. I imagine the smaller sizes are getting harder for them to buy.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:13 PM

They sent one with mine and with my dmp. Both work fine.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 PM

Here is the FAQ's from PS Audio.

Several PS Audio products use Secure Digital (SD) cards for various purposes. The most prevalent use is for updating the firmware in the internal microprocessors.

Earlier PS Audio products (circa 2009-2010) were restricted to using SD cards that had a size limit of 2GB max. More recently, products (like DirectStream) have been tested with SD cards with up to 8GB capacity. Higher capacity cards may work but have not been tested.

If your product is earlier than DirectStream, you are limited to a maximum of 2GB SD cards.

SD Cards specifics

All files must be in the root directory of the SD card, and not in a zip file or a subdirectory.

If you get the option to format FAT-16, use it, if you don’t get the option to format FAT-16, format FAT-32 .

exFAT or NTFS WILL NOT WORK

Windows

1-4Gb Format FAT-16

4-32Gb Format FAT-32

32Gb won’t work unless formatted FAT-32. exFAT will not work

MAC

1-32Gb Format MS-DOS(FAT)

32Gb won’t work unless formatted MS-DOS(FAT). exFAT will not work

SD cards are designed to be used in many different applications. The PS Audio applications require that the SD memory card be formatted using the FAT16 standard. On a Windows computer, to format an SD card, insert the card into the proper SD card slot, or if your computer does not have one, purchase an SD card reader and connect it to your computer. Now, with the card installed in the reader, find the SD card in your Windows file explorer, and right click it. This will bring up a pop-up. One of the choices will be to format the card. Left clicking Format will bring up another pop-up that allows you to do the formatting. One of the choices in this window is to choose which formatting standard to use. If you have a larger than 4GB SD card, it will say that FAT32 is the default. Click on this pull down menu, and choose FAT instead. Then proceed to format the SD card.

Files you download, or have emailed to you may be either direct, or may be zipped (processed to minimize the size and combine the files all into one). If they are zipped, they will have a .zip extension at the end of the file name. If they are not zipped, the 3 digit extension will say something like .hex, or .cfg, or something similar. If the files are not zipped, you just have to copy them from the source to the SD card. If they have been zipped, you must use a computer program to unzip them.

Your computer may already have an unzipping program installed. You can test this by double clicking the zip file. If you have such a program, the file will start the unzipping program. You then can follow the instructions for this program to unzip the files and copy them to the SD card. If you do not have an unzipping program, you should either obtain one, or ask for the files to be resent to you in an unzipped format.

The PS Audio firmware update process requires that the files be readable directly on the SD card. If you look at the files on the SD card with your file explorer program (Explore in Windows, Finder in Apple), you should see the several files available when you look at the SD card. If instead you see a folder that you have to click on before you see the files, they will not load. In this case, you need to move the files from the folder to the top level of the SD card directory.

If you have trouble copying files to the SD card, take a look at the card itself. On the side of the card you will see a small slider switch. Make sure this switch is in the ‘unlock’ position.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-21-2018, 01:00 AM

For what it’s worth. I’ve used 16gb -new out of the box sd cards. I don’t format the card in my win 10 laptop. Copy files to the local drive - then put the files on the root of the Sd card from my hard drive. Easy peasy and have never had any issue. I’ve upgraded from Yale ->Torrey’s-A->Torrey’s-B->Torrey’s final->Huron->Redcloud -> Snowmass. All of these have been done with a combo of brand new cards ranging from 2-16gb cards. But always new out of box in each case. I have never had an issue.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Because of the great reviews from this forum and others, I took advantage of the great promo offer from Ivan and bought one; should be receiving this weekend. Can't wait to try it!

Few newbie questions:
* I heard that DS DAC needs to be burned-in for an extensive period of time (~400-500 hours) before it is optimal. Can I let it run non-stop 24/7 for 3 weeks?
* Would the burn-in process work if I simply stream music from a laptop connected to the DAC via USB without turning on the Amp/Pre-amp?
* Is a SD Card 4 Gb size adequate for download/upload?

Thanks.
Wow! Great move and congrats. Yes - over the multiple years I have had mine - I have not seen one sold brand new in box w bridge at what I am assuming was under 3900 from Ivan. That is a great deal.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Here is the FAQ's from PS Audio.

Several PS Audio products use Secure Digital (SD) cards for various purposes. The most prevalent use is for updating the firmware in the internal microprocessors.

Earlier PS Audio products (circa 2009-2010) were restricted to using SD cards that had a size limit of 2GB max. More recently, products (like DirectStream) have been tested with SD cards with up to 8GB capacity. Higher capacity cards may work but have not been tested.

If your product is earlier than DirectStream, you are limited to a maximum of 2GB SD cards.

SD Cards specifics

All files must be in the root directory of the SD card, and not in a zip file or a subdirectory.

If you get the option to format FAT-16, use it, if you don’t get the option to format FAT-16, format FAT-32 .

exFAT or NTFS WILL NOT WORK

Windows

1-4Gb Format FAT-16

4-32Gb Format FAT-32

32Gb won’t work unless formatted FAT-32. exFAT will not work

MAC

1-32Gb Format MS-DOS(FAT)

32Gb won’t work unless formatted MS-DOS(FAT). exFAT will not work

SD cards are designed to be used in many different applications. The PS Audio applications require that the SD memory card be formatted using the FAT16 standard. On a Windows computer, to format an SD card, insert the card into the proper SD card slot, or if your computer does not have one, purchase an SD card reader and connect it to your computer. Now, with the card installed in the reader, find the SD card in your Windows file explorer, and right click it. This will bring up a pop-up. One of the choices will be to format the card. Left clicking Format will bring up another pop-up that allows you to do the formatting. One of the choices in this window is to choose which formatting standard to use. If you have a larger than 4GB SD card, it will say that FAT32 is the default. Click on this pull down menu, and choose FAT instead. Then proceed to format the SD card.

Files you download, or have emailed to you may be either direct, or may be zipped (processed to minimize the size and combine the files all into one). If they are zipped, they will have a .zip extension at the end of the file name. If they are not zipped, the 3 digit extension will say something like .hex, or .cfg, or something similar. If the files are not zipped, you just have to copy them from the source to the SD card. If they have been zipped, you must use a computer program to unzip them.

Your computer may already have an unzipping program installed. You can test this by double clicking the zip file. If you have such a program, the file will start the unzipping program. You then can follow the instructions for this program to unzip the files and copy them to the SD card. If you do not have an unzipping program, you should either obtain one, or ask for the files to be resent to you in an unzipped format.

The PS Audio firmware update process requires that the files be readable directly on the SD card. If you look at the files on the SD card with your file explorer program (Explore in Windows, Finder in Apple), you should see the several files available when you look at the SD card. If instead you see a folder that you have to click on before you see the files, they will not load. In this case, you need to move the files from the folder to the top level of the SD card directory.

If you have trouble copying files to the SD card, take a look at the card itself. On the side of the card you will see a small slider switch. Make sure this switch is in the ‘unlock’ position.

Ron
Thank you Ron for sharing your insights. Much appreciated.

Best,
Thanh
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Because of the great reviews from this forum and others, I took advantage of the great promo offer from Ivan and bought one...
Congratulations!!! You will love this DAC.

How do you plan to "drive" it? USB? Ethernet via the Bridge II card?

After some experimentation, I found that the Bridge II sounded better than the USB input. That also got the computer out of the equipment rack, tidying things up a bit.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:44 PM

4N6-
Can you talk about your changes a bit? What was your usb setup before? What is your setup now? Were you using a regen or any other product for usb- and what were the improvements? I currently use jriver w an audio quest diamond usb cable outbound to a wyred4sound recovery unit.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 PM

timm-

I used to have a Silenzio server connected to my DS DAC via Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB. I have used USB "filtration/reclocking" doohickeys from PS Audio, Uptone, Audioquest and Wyred4Sound. When they actually passed along a signal that the DAC could lock to (which was sporadic at best), the sound was a tad smoother, especially with the Uptone and W4S products. Not sure if they were actually cleaning up the signal (removing noise and lowering jitter), or doing some digital filtration that altered the signal to make it more "pleasing". As alluded to, I kept having problems with the DAC losing connection to the signal stream with those products in the chain, so ended up removing them.

Then I installed the Bridge II and use Cat 6 Ethernet to get the signal to the DS DAC. The Silenzio is now upstairs. No signal loss and a definite improvement in sound quality over USB. If one looks at the PS Audio forums, I believe that a majority of people would agree with that assessment.

There are some who have found other units to act as a network "receiver" other than the Bridge II. I have no experience with these so can't comment much. Most use a USB connection at the end so are of no interest to me.

Many others also say that the I2S input is the best for the DS DAC...better than either the Bridge II/ethernet or USB. That is what makes me interested in the W4S music server which has an I2S output. Yes, I would have to have a computer in the equipment rack, but then I could hook it up to the DS DAC via I2S rather than USB. Would love to try one to see if it would be a worthwhile upgrade from the Silenzio.