AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 10-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I plan to beat it. Unless Legacy Focus SEs are on sale at 50% off.

Having been free of Tostitos Hint of Jalapeño tortilla chips and Breyers gelato for well over a month, I'm confident.
It's been three months for the Tostitos, and about two and a half for the Breyers!

Now for more disturbing news. Despite the fact that I haven't been playing LPs in recent times, I find I've begun looking at turntables. The Mac MT5 (and MT2 when it arrives, probably), Pro-Ject Xtension 10, Clearaudio Ovation and Performance DC, even the Music Hall mmf-9.3 have all gotten attention to the point I've downloaded the manuals. The Clearaudios in particular look to be as close to plug-and-play as I can get. Why this interest in turntables has come isn't clear, but I suspect it's a deep-seated desire for something new and different (which doesn't mean better, necessarily), a more radical change than cables represent. There are other areas of gear to do that, such as SACD players and speakers. I have it, it's those YouTube unboxing videos from New Zealand! Blame them!

It's like that cold which won't go away. Or the nagging pain one has.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 10-11-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Uh oh! Turntables, tonearms, cartridges, and vinyl LP's are a slippery slope. Good luck scratching the itch.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-12-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Uh oh! Turntables, tonearms, cartridges, and vinyl LP's are a slippery slope. Good luck scratching the itch.
I've found this oddly compelling, for some reason. Watched it several times. The table looks good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpqsZRBsSlA
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by jdandy; 10-12-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......I understand why you would be drawn to the Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Evolution turntable. It is a fine turntable with well engineered features. I even agree with the video's recommended cartridge, the Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge. That is the same cartridge I use on my Michell Gyro SE turntable with a SME309 tonearm. It sounds fabulous.

The Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Evolution turntable with the Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge is a turntable you would certainly enjoy for many years.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-12-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Semi-audiophile

I think I would too, however I recall a verse in the book of Proverbs (can't remember what it says exactly, else I could look it up) which says something to the effect that one option seems right until another comes along. That seems to be where I am. The Pro-Ject Xtension 10 is an intriguing turntable, yet I was also looking at a Sota Sapphire before and as soon as I look at that, it becomes intriguing. The Sota website doesn't seem to offer an opportunity to download any manuals, so research is limited. But I do remember seeing Sotas with SME 309s mounted on them; I like that arm and my VPI HW-19Mk. IV has one. Plus, the detachable headshell! The Pro-Ject Xtension 12 offers an Ortofon RS/AS arm (also with detachable headshell) as an option, too. But the Xtension 12 is $1K more than the 10; I'd have to look at why.

To be frank, there are other parts of my system I have questions about (even power cords, which I though were settled), and I think a nice move for now would be to start playing records again, even in the midst of the preliminary turntable research. My VPI has become a shelf, with a bunch of CDs and DVDs sitting on top of it; some housekeeping is in order to make the 'table more inviting, because lately all I do is turn on the SDS periodically to keep the TT motor honest. Time is another factor, as my days are often hectic and the system overall has been aural wallpaper too often of late; CDs and tuners are better for that than vinyl.

I suspect there are deeper issues going on here, manifesting themselves in persistent "audophilia nervosa" or whatever it's called, and I'm not helping by exposing myself to magazines and websites as much as I have lately. There is a YouTube channel for vinyl collectors, and the system tours reel me in (seen a few Pro-ject TTs there!). Whatever the deal is, I'd like to get a handle on it.

Last edited by prepress; 10-13-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM
Semi-audiophile

I think one of the reasons I'm looking at turntables (and the Pro-Jects especially) is that, with a suspended floor, footfalls are a problem in my room. The Pro-ject seems to offer an improvement in that area, enough that I'm willing to consider replacing my VPI HW-19 MkIV, over 25 years old but still working. My only issue with the Xtension 10 is the lack of a detachable headshell; I've been spoiled by my SME 309. If I'm willing to spend more money I could get a Signature 10 SuperPack TT (the arm's headshell is detachable, based on an SME standard), but that's $3K more and doesn't come with a dustcover, an additional $350 or thereabouts.

I've also been thinking about a change in my SACD and (it's back) speakers. I can't afford all three (or even two, probably), so I'll have to narrow things down. The usual grinding research and eyestrain from all the computer time will follow, and result in something, probably.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:32 AM
Semi-audiophile

I sent an e-mal to Pro-Ject/Sumiko asking about costs regarding substituting an Ortofon TA-110 or SME 309 for the standard Evolution arm; I prefer a detachable headshell.

I also note that, though there are three Pro-Ject dealers in Manhattan that I know of, it's not clear which ones have the upper-end TTs available for audition or on display. Needle Doctor does for sure, but do I want to get something this big and heavy via mail-order? On the other hand, I bought my VPI that way from Audio Advisor; on the other hand, that box was delivered by UPS; the Pro-Ject is normally via freight (a 110-lb box!). I'd likely need help getting the thing up the stairs to my second-floor walk-up apartment.

First, we'll see what Pro-Ject says.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, I got a reply from Sumiko. If I want a choice in arms, I have to go to the Xtension 12. The Ortofon TA-110 on an Xtension 12 would run me about $4400 and represents a custom order; it would take three to four months to get it.

I'm also chewing over trying perhaps a Gingko platform for the VPI to see if that solves my footfall problem. If so, I'd move on to replacing my SACD or speakers instead, probably. I think the Xtension 12 would fit my rack, barely.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Semi-audiophile

I ordered the Gingko this week. Should be here within four weeks. On another thread it's reported that the Gingko did a good job with a VPI Super Scoutmaster. Hope it'll do as well with my HW-19, which is probably heavier. If so, I can put the new TT aside for now and the question becomes what I want to do about my MCD301: fix it (the tray is slow to open; everything else is fine); replace it with a MCD500 or a Marantz SA-10, or even a MCT450/D150 combo, which would look cool but I'd have to be able to trade in the 301 toward it. Same with the MCD500, which is NOS.

I'd really be curious to audition these pieces if it gets to that stage. I heard the SA-10 at the recent NY Audio Show in a Marantz/Def Tech setup. I think a better room would have brought things out more, but I head enough to suggest the SA-10 is very good. The MCD500 is, of course, not a current model. The 450/150 combo is possible, since both are current, and it would create a better visual balance in the setup, sitting next to the C2300 and with the 501s on the bottom outside shelves. A cool look, but it won't happen unless the 301 can be traded in. I can get a very good deal on the SA-10, less than the MCD500, but wouldn't be able to do a 301 trade-in on it.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Semi-audiophile

As posted elsewhere, I've taken the plunge and ordered a NOS MCD500 from Audio Classics, who will take my 301 in trade as is. Nice. That makes it a better deal than the Marantz SA-10, even with the great discount I'd have received on it.

So no new TT or speakers any time soon (definitely on the speakers; the TT could have a shot later in the year next year, still). Those Focus SEs are now priced beyond any reasonable reach, so the contenders would be the Signature SE and Bryston Model T. As time moves on, splurging on anything becomes more problematic, so I'll have to tread carefully.

Last edited by prepress; 11-24-2017 at 02:15 PM.