AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Focal Electra 1028Be with an REL sub would fall well within your budget and would rock your socks off. Or opt for the Electra 1038Be which would still be in your budget and would be fine in your medium sized room without the sub.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Golden Ear Triton Reference. $8500 pair. I owned the Triton 1s. Fabulous speakers. BIG BIG sound. Amazing clarity. 1800 watts of powered subs built in to each tower.

Truly worth a listen. The Triton Reference is stunning.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Blown & Injected

For metal and punk with the kind of power that you have, you should be looking at speakers with numerous drivers to be able to handle the power over time without fear of damage. So, line arrays would be ideal. Mc began offering them in the '70s and have produced them ever since. Roger Russell's IDS-25s would also be worth an audition.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:33 PM

I spent a lot of time auditioning a lot of floor standing speakers before selecting my current ones. Many of the shops I visited had a C50/MC452 pair driving the speakers I reviewed. I found that the MC452 seemed to bring out the best of all the speakers it drove, one customer actually said that he "loved that McIntosh tube sound"...which in his mind was a complement.
I have a C2500/MC452 driving a pair of Focal Sopra No2's, with their beryllium tweeters don't sound shrill at all. I heard the Sopra's driven by other amps and the result was not as musical.
So...I think the MC452 will probably be a good match for just about any speaker you enjoy!
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 08-18-2017, 08:37 PM

another happy 7T owner
Old 08-18-2017, 08:51 PM

Aerial 7Ts if you want a speaker that is neutral,dynamic and has incredible imaging. Plus looks great as well.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:39 PM

I just finshed reading reviews of every speaker mentioned in this thread. I truly thank you guys for your input. I'm going to post later with a few more questions that I have. I'll say this before I go, I really loved readng the reviews on the areial 7t's. I would Have loved to have gone and seen these speakers in person. Ariel does not have 1 authorized dealer in the entrie porvince of Ontario. I don't even think they have an authorized dealer in all of Canada. Sucks for me. See you later.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 PM

Aren't McIntosh XR100 in that price range? I've never listened to them but I have heard that they match to the MC452 very well.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 PM

2nd vote Dynaudio countour 60 or big if bucks the The Evidence is Dynaudio’s finest loudspeaker series.

Or the Excite 38 or 44s

What is your upper end budget limit? May I missed it if so sorry
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie78 View Post
I just finshed reading reviews of every speaker mentioned in this thread. I truly thank you guys for your input. I'm going to post later with a few more questions that I have. I'll say this before I go, I really loved readng the reviews on the areial 7t's. I would Have loved to have gone and seen these speakers in person. Ariel does not have 1 authorized dealer in the entrie porvince of Ontario. I don't even think they have an authorized dealer in all of Canada. Sucks for me. See you later.
If you live in Ontario drive over to Rochester Hills MI to audition the IDS-25 that Ken Haig sells designed by Roger Russell. He has a MC452 and some MC601s to drive them. An Amazing speaker. Huge sound stage, coherence, dynamics and imaging.