AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Scottsmrnyc

Default Making your own reel to reel tapes from Original LP Recordings!!!!

I have been thinking about making my own Reel to Reel tapes from the Original Vinyl recordings. I am wondering if the result would be as good or close to being as good as those tapes being made by THE TAPE PROJECT and others companies? I am not looking for the perfection that The Tape Project and others can make. I am only looking for a good quality reel to reel recorded tape. With this in mind; Here are some questions and concerns.

- Other than the quality of the reel to reel machines being used, what techniques do the high end reel to reel recording companies use to make their tapes?

- What recording techniques should I use in trying to come close to those that are being used by such companies as The Tape Project?

- What blank tape do you reccomend for such a recording project as mine?

-Is there anyone out there in AudioAficionado land that has or is doing this?

Any comments or ideas would be greatly welcomed/
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Vinyl dubs should never be considered remotely close to a copy of the Master or Safety. They will sound like your table which is good. They will not sound like the Master which may or may not be ok,depending on your expectations.

Last edited by metaphacts; 04-13-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Scottsmrnyc

thanks metaphacts for your input.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 PM

I plan on doing this from 45rpm LPs to 2 track 15ips tape. Recorded with the amplifiers and speakers off. So tape playback should sound better than playing the record since no vibrations from the speakers are playing through the tonearm/cartridge.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM

If you had at leas a DBX type II or III noise reduction system it can 1/2 speed master the noise the noise levels, then record and 2x the sound spl to make them quiter, and yet extend the range too.

I used to do this back in the day at 15 ips tape on the Ampex 456/457 tape. That was one of the bad a$$ hot tapes on the market and they came out very nice.

That said, it can only be as good as your source, but you can get rid of some noise and bosst the signal and the dynamic range too with the correct gear.

In the mega bucks world I had a buddy worked for Pro Filamnet audion in Socal years ago and he had a sturder revox and other mega $$$$$ gear and a full blown mixer. They made some serious tapes and could turn a so so record intoa very nice tape.

It is still done today in the studios, they take old so so tapes and remaster them to records and SACds like the recent Wish You Were Here cut.

Takes big ticket items and a good engineer with great gear.

PS I love this stuff and it is fun playing with.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
If you had at leas a DBX type II or III noise reduction system...
This is the first time I've heard of dbx type 3 for recording; I thought type 3 was for dbx EQs that had it built in.
I obviously heard of type 1 and 2.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Rebellious!

Scott, did you get this idea going?
Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc
I have been thinking about making my own Reel to Reel tapes from the Original Vinyl recordings. I am wondering if the result would be as good or close to being as good as those tapes being made by THE TAPE PROJECT and others companies?
Probably be better because WE DONT KNOW THE SOURCE THEY USE FOR THESE TAPES!!!! (They could be digitally sourced (Luckily though MOST TAPES say if they are from a digital master))
Old 06-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Probably be better because WE DONT KNOW THE SOURCE THEY USE FOR THESE TAPES!!!! (They could be digitally sourced (Luckily though MOST TAPES say if they are from a digital master))
I think the most important or significant advantage here is that listeners preserve their idea of all analog and do not have to flip the record, worry about the turntable system set-up, and record maintenance.

However you take on the limitations of Tape and that it's a copy of a copy.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc View Post
I have been thinking about making my own Reel to Reel tapes from the Original Vinyl recordings. I am wondering if the result would be as good or close to being as good as those tapes being made by THE TAPE PROJECT and others companies? I am not looking for the perfection that The Tape Project and others can make. I am only looking for a good quality reel to reel recorded tape. With this in mind; Here are some questions and concerns.

- Other than the quality of the reel to reel machines being used, what techniques do the high end reel to reel recording companies use to make their tapes?

- What recording techniques should I use in trying to come close to those that are being used by such companies as The Tape Project?

- What blank tape do you reccomend for such a recording project as mine?

-Is there anyone out there in AudioAficionado land that has or is doing this?

Any comments or ideas would be greatly welcomed/
I've been doing this for the past three years. Here are my thoughts:

1. Buy one Tape Project tape of a title you really like and compare it to the LP. In my case I bought Waltz For Debby. If your system is good, you will hear that the tape sounds different. In my system, it's dynamics and resolution, in favor of the tape. Keep in mind that this varies from tape to tape and record to record.

2. All records will have surface noise, which in my opinion is more annoying than tape hiss. For some records, you may want to use Click Repair RT which is a real-time digital click and pop remover. It will make otherwise marginal records sound great. I was skeptical at first, being an analog guy, but at 24/96, and a good a/d/a converter, it sounds better than I thought it would, and way better than CD or digital downloads. You will not get the TP sound or anything close to it if you have surface noise.

3. TP and others record at 15 ips, 2 track, which will get really expensive very quickly if you record your own tapes. I recommend this only for your very best sounding records. Try 7.5 ips, 2 track, 1800' and you will cut your costs to 1/4 of what 15 ips will cost. 15ips is great for recording studios, editing, and master tape copies with minimal generational loss, but total overkill for most home recording/playback. You are looking at $150+ just for two reels of new blank tape at 15ips for one LP!

4. Expensive mastering tape does not necessarily sound better than cheaper "voice grade" tape. Mastering quality tape (ATR or RMGI) gets you higher output with less tape hiss and more headroom, but remember that most of the audiophile classics were recorded on what would be considered today as low quality tape. 15ips IEC and 7.5ips NAB for home recorded tapes sound real good, even on cheap tape.

5. Don't even consider recording your own tapes without having the ability to easily set bias, record level, and record EQ. You will need to adjust this every time you use a different blank tape type. If you have to take the deck apart every time you switch tape types, this will get old quickly. I use an Otari for recording, because the record settings are on the front panel.

6. I've tried a reel of all the new tapes available (SM911, 900, and 468, LPR35, ATR and MDS36). They are all high-quality. I think that proper bias, record level and record EQ will get you good results with any of them. For eBay, try Quantegy 632 or even lowly Ampex 641. Neither have SSS and record fine, considering the price.

7. 45 RPM audiophile records are the best bets for recording on tape. I have a collection of Classic Records, AP, Blue Note, Direct To Disc, etc. 45s. Not having to flip the record every 1 or 2 tracks is nice!

Last edited by cpreal; 03-31-2016 at 02:18 PM.