AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 AM
Listener in Training

Serge,
Good thread - I had always been a fan of high end audio, and then jumped in "for real" with a system that I thought would be something we'd keep forever. Turns out after about nine years, the wife and I caught the itch again, and we are enjoying the process of upgrading and listening anew to many old friend recordings with new ears. We're in no rush, and may upgrade a few more components over the next 2-3 years. I've learned a lot, and that's a function of time (study) and experience that by definition wasn't there when we started.

From an economic perspective, as long as it's (highly) discretionary income, it's a choice about spending it on what you enjoy.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Serge,
Good thread - I had always been a fan of high end audio, and then jumped in "for real" with a system that I thought would be something we'd keep forever. Turns out after about nine years, the wife and I caught the itch again, and we are enjoying the process of upgrading and listening anew to many old friend recordings with new ears. We're in no rush, and may upgrade a few more components over the next 2-3 years. I've learned a lot, and that's a function of time (study) and experience that by definition wasn't there when we started.

From an economic perspective, as long as it's (highly) discretionary income, it's a choice about spending it on what you enjoy.
9 years of enjoyment is quite a long time in "audiophile" years and I would consider that getting some really good use and value out of the investment amortized over the years. Good luck with your next phase of upgrades!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
All good points Dan. It is not strictly about the money because if it was, we would never be "audiophiles". The bean counter in us would never allow it.

It takes a certain amount of self convincing, support groups such as AA (which is actually the opposite of any support group by definition of a support group's mission of ridding one of those habits or offer emotional support ) love for the gear and music and of course there has to be some physiological explanation why grown men salivate at the sight of an expensive amplifier and secrete enough adrenaline and testosterone to lift a 100lb amp and drag it across the house to fire it up immediately when the box arrives and there is no one to help! It is an addiction for sure.

Agreed on enjoying "the ride", it is fun. We love to play with toys and the more the better. Establishing the frame of reference makes it much easier to justify the next purchase which will increase the level of performance.

The negatives that I do see is that once we reach some plateau which only years before we could have only dreamt of, pausing just enough to get a glimpse of the vistas and take a breath of the rarified air, we keep climbing towards the summit which is always covered in clouds and can be very elusive as to the actual heights... Then that $120k dream system becomes a $200k dream system and then a $300k system and so on.

Spend it if you got it as they say. I am not here to lecture anyone of course, this is just a good, healthy discussion.

In this hobby there is no finish line - and the goalposts keep moving out. Frustrating and exciting working in concert...constant discovery and renewed interest in the pursuit...What was it Dan noted last year? Something like “I am good, no more exploring new options” - and yet he continues...love the progression of this hobby - often not so much about more but new and reimagined. Pretty nifty.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 PM

By the way due to inflation of new equipment, my Mcintosh MC501's and C2300 are worth on the used market nearly what I paid new with my original discount. Mcintosh is one of the few brands that can really hold onto the value (with the exception of the digital products ) ie pre amps and amps.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:29 PM

Getting back to the original subject here , I started out to just buy a new amplifier and fell upon a video on youtube that Alberto did on the MC252 which I then purchased. I then started going onto forums and met you nice folks here and got caught up and pumped up by everyone here