AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Change of plans: I think I only need a streamer

Hey guys,

Not too long ago I posted a question about how to set up a digital library and rip CDs.
Since then, I have come to the realization that I am not going to do that and instead will keep my CD's and listen to them on my Oppo 205. I just don't have the time and also, do not want to start setting up redundancy solutions to protect my files.

My reality is that I spend most of the time streaming music from Spotify and/or Tidal.
I wanted to get the best quality out of streaming music, so I bought the McIntosh MB50 streamer which I have been enjoying but it commands a very premium price.

I am thinking about returning it and switching to a cheaper solution that can give me good, high-quality streaming solution as well as the ability to connect to an external HD if I choose to do it in the future. I could put the rest of the money towards something else, like higher quality cables.

Since my system has a DAC that I would like to use (McIntosh C2600), I don't necessarily need one if that can lower the price.

So far, I have been able to identify a couple of inexpensive streamers but I was wondering if there was a anything else I was missing:

1. Node 2 - I had one, did not like it. Kept disconnecting from my Wi-Fi network and was completely unreliable.

2. Cambridge Audio CXN (V2) - don't know much about it but looks good on paper.

3. Oppo Sonica DAC - it will force me to use its DAC (no digital out) but looks like a high-quality device.

Should I be looking at anything else?

How important is it to buy a more expensive device if streaming is the main use? Does the quality go up? (again, if I use my existing DAC).

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Last edited by Killergurt; 01-06-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:04 PM

It is important for most people who listen to music to run Ethernet Cat6 cabling from the router to your music system. Wi-Fi can be troubling for many people and Ethernet fixes that.

I personally use a Squeezebox Touch for my system and it works well for me.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Aurender N100H

Last edited by jdandy; 01-06-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Corrected model number typo
Old 01-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Aurender N100H
Killergurt expressed a less expensive solution though?

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub

Last edited by jdandy; 01-06-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Killergurt expressed a less expensive solution though?

Ron
Yes, my point is, if I am going to mainly use this device for streaming, does it make sense to spend thousands?
I guess this is what I don't fully understand, the more expensive the device gets (assuming it gets higher in quality), does it improve streaming quality? Or can the most basic streamer match the quality of a very expensive one?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Yes, my point is, if I am going to mainly use this device for streaming, does it make sense to spend thousands?
I guess this is what I don't fully understand, the more expensive the device gets (assuming it gets higher in quality), does it improve streaming quality? Or can the most basic streamer match the quality of a very expensive one?
This can be as debatable as cables, so long as noise isn't noticeable or bothering you when you listening to music.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:43 PM

I think the Sonos units are rock solid although they don’t do high resolution
Old 01-06-2018, 02:45 PM

I went with the node2. I know you said you had one and returned it but you may try a wired connection. Also, another thought and it’s super cheap is the google audio cast. It’s has an optical out so you can use your Mac DAC.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I went with the node2. I know you said you had one and returned it but you may try a wired connection. Also, another thought and it’s super cheap is the google audio cast. It’s has an optical out so you can use your Mac DAC.
Thank you, this is cool, I actually have one at home. I don't see optical on it though, only 3.5mm.

But this is a good example of what I was asking before: will streaming music through the Chromecast Audio sound the same as streaming it through an expensive streamer? Is anything done inside the device or is it only about the external DAC I am feeding it to?
Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Thank you, this is cool, I actually have one at home. I don't see optical on it though, only 3.5mm.

But this is a good example of what I was asking before: will streaming music through the Chromecast Audio sound the same as streaming it through an expensive streamer? Is anything done inside the device or is it only about the external DAC I am feeding it to?
The 3.5 also has an optical output and uses a mini tosklink. If you have a nice optical cable already the make converters to mini.

Since you have the Mac unit try a side by side before you send it back, just need a mini toslink.