AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Dynaudio Special Twenty-Five Loudspeaker - USA 15th Anniversary Edition

Does anyone have these? How do they compare the the C1 Sigs? They look very nice and reports have been very positive.

Special Twenty-Five
- Dynaudio’s 25th anniversary model in a final re-issue edition
- Esotar˛ soft dome tweeter
- Bass/midrange driver featuring Evidence technology
- Advanced cross-over with select components
- Signed aluminium backplate
- Crafted in burled birch veneer with a unique maser grain
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Does anyone have these? How do they compare the the C1 Sigs? They look very nice and reports have been very positive.

Special Twenty-Five
I saw a used pair of Special 25's standmounts at my dealer before the holidays. They were a light wood that looked pretty nice. Not sure if these are what you were referring to.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1323971618.jpg (3.6 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 1323971619.jpg (3.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Hi Jim,

Dedicated Audio has them in stock but with the Bordeaux finish and 15 year warranty.

The Dynaudio Special 25 With the advanced technology woofer designs developed for the Evidence models, and the innovative Esotar˛ tweeter technology first developed for the Confidence range. The Twenty-Five was a tremendous success and has established itself as a classic audiophile loudspeaker.

Dynaudio has officially confirmed that there will indeed be a one-time production run of the Special-Twenty Five. Scheduled for October, the reissued Special Twenty-Five will only be available in a Bordeaux finish of the anniversary issue, and will be the same hand-built speaker crafted in matched, numbered pairs, with a fifteen year warranty. The number produced will be extremely limited.

Tweeter: 28mm soft dome, Esotar 2 technology with pure aluminum wire voice coil and integrated rear chamber with acoustic vent. Large neodymium magnet ring.

Woofer: 20cm one-piece molded MSP cone with 75mm pure aluminum wire voice coil. Large neodymium magnet ring and die-cast chassis.

Crossover: two-way crossover with 6 dB/octave slope. Glassfibre-reinforced PCB. Resistors with thermal coupling to heatsink. Integrated gold plated binding posts.

Cabinet: 20mm MDF with 10mm sandwich construction and internal MDF bracing. Large 70mm diameter vent and solid metal back plate.

Specifications:
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB (2.83 V/1m)
  • Power Handling: >200 watts
  • Impedance: 4 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 35Hz to 25kHz (+/- 3dB)
  • Internal Cabinet Volume 17.5 litres
  • Bass Principle: Bass reflex
  • Weight: 13 kg
  • Dimensions 222 x 423 x 349 (WxHxD in mm)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Uh...I have them!

I've yet to hear C1s (mk1, mkII, or Sigs)...but I know someone who put them side-by-side, and did a pretty extensive comparison. I have a general recollection of what he thought the differences were.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
dpod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid

Special Twenty-Five
I auditioned both. Both are great speakers - they disappear and image well. I preferred the Special 25s given prodigious ability to convey bass.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I saw a used pair of Special 25's standmounts at my dealer before the holidays. They were a light wood that looked pretty nice. Not sure if these are what you were referring to.

Jim
This is the "older", original release; with the light, Birch finish. Not sure if it was re-issued at some point, but it's not the latest incarnation.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I auditioned both. Both are great speakers - they disappear and image well. I preferred the Special 25s given prodigious ability to convey bass.
Prodigious; that's a fancy way of saying kick-you-in-the-chest.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post

Special Twenty-Five
The Special 25 are well, special. The Special Edition Dyns tend to be a bit more, shall we say, forward? than the non-SE versions. They tend to be more analytical and are noted for being less forgiving of source content. That being said, they can be made to perform superbly. What's required, however, is:
1) A superb room, i.e., large enough not to be overpressurized by those big Evidence woofs and very well-implemented acoutical "management".
2) Current/Power/Damping: That big Evidence woof needs current/power/damping factor to bring it to it's best potential. An ET250S or Premier 350 or your Burmester would be the hot setup here; the CA200 would work well, too. A triode MV60, fuggedaboudit!
3) Optimal setup....a combination of just the right room, placement, and components.

The S25s require careful implementation of all these to be at their best, but can be very rewarding if you can bring all these parameters together.

Personally, I think the C1 Sig will be better suited to your needs. They'll be sweeter sounding on more and a broader range of content, and less finicky about room, placement, setup and components.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-04-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The Special 25 are well, special. The Special Edition Dyns tend to be a bit more, shall we say, forward? than the non-SE versions. They tend to be more analytical and are noted for being less forgiving of source content. That being said, they can be made to perform superbly. What's required, however, is:
1) A superb room, i.e., large enough not to be overpressurized by those big Evidence woofs and very well-implemented acoutical "management".
2) Current/Power/Damping: That big Evidence woof needs current/power/damping factor to bring it to it's best potential. An ET250S or Premier 350 or your Burmester would be the hot setup here; the CA200 would work well, too. A triode MV60, fuggedaboudit!
3) Optimal setup....a combination of just the right room, placement, and components.

The S25s require careful implementation of all these to be at their best, but can be very rewarding if you can bring all these parameters together.

Personally, I think the C1 Sig will be better suited to your needs. They'll be sweeter sounding on more and a broader range of content, and less finicky about room, placement, setup and components.
PC, I think that sums it up pretty well. The highs (musical heights, not frequencies) are, well...pretty Special indeed. But this speaker needs ALL of those things.

Don't get me wrong; they still sound pretty, damn great, even with just a touch of help. But I also think about C1 (mkIIs), as they are...IMO...more forgiving, less temperamental, and better in the near-field (my room is a bit small at the moment).

That being said, one of the things I was told by the guy who lived with them side-by-side for a number of months (I know you know who I'm talking about...this is for everyone else...lol)...is if you're the type of audiophile, who still needs to re-live and relieve your inner-16-year-old...and crank up the Floyd or Zep, along with the Melody Gardot; Special 25s are for you.

I am such an audiophile!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Uh...I have them!
I thought they looked familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Personally, I think the C1 Sig will be better suited to your needs. They'll be sweeter sounding on more content, and less finicky about room, placement, setup and components.
I'm sure my room is big enough but needs better "acoustic treatment". I like less finicky but they will be gone someday