AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-06-2015, 10:23 PM

Anybody can help me by suggesting a list of SS and tube integrated amps for my OIII and why you like each of them.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Guild View Post
Anybody can help me by suggesting a list of SS and tube integrated amps for my OIII and why you like each of them.
do you have a price range?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-07-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
do you have a price range?
$5000 - $6000

And if it has built in DAC that would be awesome.

I was reading about the Intuition 101 by Wadia, but I am not sure if it sounds bright and clinical or not.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:21 AM

You might consider Audio Research. The DSi200 marries well with Sonus. Also the VSi75 tube integrated is a wonderful amp, although a little more money at about $8k. I would also check out the Prima Luna amps.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 AM

I second audio research. I heard OIII with AR gear and a Sony DSD player and it sounded glorious. The OIII is a great speaker
Old 07-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
You might consider Audio Research. The DSi200 marries well with Sonus. Also the VSi75 tube integrated is a wonderful amp, although a little more money at about $8k. I would also check out the Prima Luna amps.
My only issue with the Audio Research that it has no balanced input, WHY?!!!!!!!

Do I have to be persistent on having balanced?

I am relatively new to this hobby and want to know if tube amps are good for SF OIII. Based on comments by people who managed to demo the B&W and OIII, the tube amps are suck with OIII. According to them the OIII lacks to dynamics and sounds slow, when adding tube amp things will get worse! They claim that tube amps are better when coupled with fast and transparent speakers like the 802.

My issue that I can't demo tube amps for fair comparison.

Last edited by Sonic Guild; 07-07-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:16 PM

I don't know who is telling you tubes don't work with the OIII, I have heard them with the Audio Research Ref75 and the sound was very, very good. I would think the VSi75, which is similar to the REF75 in amplifier circuit design, would have no trouble with these speakers. And the ARC DSi200 is solid state and balanced with two sets of balanced inputs.

I just realized you asked this same question a while ago and others have already made recommendations including McIntosh, which should also be a good match. Your best bet is to find a good dealer who will let you audition amplifiers with your speakers.

Last edited by Antonmb; 07-07-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I was talking to a friend who had the chance to compare the Guarneri Evolution with Olympica (NOT sure if it was OII or OIII). According to him, the Guarneri Evolution crushes the Olympica? I am not sure but this is disappointing! How come the OIII which is much bigger and much more expensive, can be inferior to the Guarneri Evolution?
I went from the Olympica II to the Guarneri Evolutions.
There is certainly a large difference in my experience.
Cannot speak to the difference between the Evolutions and the O3 however.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
According to them the OIII lacks to dynamics and sounds slow, when adding tube amp things will get worse! They claim that tube amps are better when coupled with fast and transparent speakers like the 802.
People saying that tube are slow and lack dynamic have never heard proprely made tubes in their lives.

The Manley and Halgo I own are all but slow and lacking dynamics.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:23 PM

I now have my O3's for some weeks after I traded my Venere 2.5 speakers in. I also upgraded my Roksan Caspian M2 to a separate pre/main amplifier. Since the O3 needs extra current as the impedance can drop below 2 ohms I decided to go for. the Norwegian Hegel H20 and P20. After run in time I can say that I am very pleased with combination after considering Luxman and Accuphase. The combo is very rhythmic and open and has a very controlled bass. The Hegel H20 is powerful and is able to drive a broad range of speakers and the price is more acceptable than the Accuphase i had on my list.
I did not see any Hegel Amp users in this thread so hopefully it adds to the experience.