AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM

What a laugh Alberto, great! I love "A cross between Mozart and Bach, I call it mach"
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
I like Bolero, but I prefer a more direct analogue: see here - nothing tastless - just a sexy musical performance.

Alberto
If you take the words and visual out of this, which is more erotic music, this or Bolero? I think Bolero.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
I've always enjoyed classical since being a kid - we had the 1812 Overture or Toscanini's Beethoven symphony recordings on quite a bit. That being said, rock was my staple genre from about age 10 on.

I think of classical as the ultimate musician's music, although jazz can equal that claim in many instances. By that I mean classical is a language all its own that opens ones mind and lifts consciousness. But to do that, it requires careful listening and education of that language to get the most out of it. The emotional content of jazz is on a par, although it doesn't require the intellectual application of understanding forms and structures to the extent classical does. That's not a cut on either genre. There's an entire "course on tape" about Beethoven's symphonies, and to understand THAT, you need a good grounding in classical forms and structures. Much of that is beyond what I comprehend, but I'm slowly making some progress.

We've encouraged my 12-year-old to play piano, guitar, and trumpet. He's picking up music theory in his piano lessons, and I believe when he listens as an adult to my new-but-future-vintage gear he'll get that much more out of the music than I do.
Hello Paul:

I never heard much classical music as a child. It was all rock and roll. I loved 60's rock. I think the intellectual side of music, especially classical and jazz, can deepen your understanding and appreciation. For me the emotional connection comes first. I know little about structure, sonata form, etc. The music enters my right brain. I think of it as like looking at the Taj Mahal. The greatness comes from the emotional impact of the visual image. Understanding the structure, history, and construction is a supplement
that deepens the pleasure.

It is never going to be a favorite for everyone, but I wish as a society we gave more exposure to it for young people. We need to find a way of stripping the formality and uncoolness from it. I hope this doesn't sound preachy, but I think classical can enrich a person's life beyond ordinary popular music. (Great popular music will become classic) It just takes exposure and patience.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Love Those Tunes

I'm a late bloomer, when it comes to classical appreciation. But, I think everyone should have Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' in their collection.
Tandberg TD20A, Harmon Kardon HK 400xM
PPP, Power Port, WW Ag Eclipse IC's & Speaker Cables, WW Ag Electra PC's
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Hello Paul:

I never heard much classical music as a child. It was all rock and roll. I loved 60's rock. I think the intellectual side of music, especially classical and jazz, can deepen your understanding and appreciation. For me the emotional connection comes first. I know little about structure, sonata form, etc. The music enters my right brain. I think of it as like looking at the Taj Mahal. The greatness comes from the emotional impact of the visual image. Understanding the structure, history, and construction is a supplement
that deepens the pleasure.

It is never going to be a favorite for everyone, but I wish as a society we gave more exposure to it for young people. We need to find a way of stripping the formality and uncoolness from it. I hope this doesn't sound preachy, but I think classical can enrich a person's life beyond ordinary popular music. (Great popular music will become classic) It just takes exposure and patience.
David,
I agree with your assessment, and for me the emotional message of the music is primary as well. I do try to learn about classical music's history, form, etc. because of the deeper understanding that leads not only to greater appreciation, but to discovering more outstanding music. Of course, there's no substitute for listening!

Although I did get exposure to classical as a kid and recall it fondly, I basically grew up on rock and roll as well.

Classical need not be stuffy, and luckily our boy likes listening to it when reading. Keeping a mix of music available to him seems to help a lot. We heard Emanuel Ax play with the Atlanta Symphony a while back, and also took him to see the Police. He got a little embarrassed that his dad was dancing around like an 18-year-old to the Police.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-17-2009, 02:45 AM

The only classical CD's I owned in my collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51v974fk5RL._SS500_.jpg (49.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg b5cd793509a09e02a1be2110.L.jpg (88.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51RGCC4G48L._SS500_.jpg (66.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0834729fd7a07f3f058cd010.L.jpg (86.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fc6f828fd7a0bc3dfec52110.L.jpg (62.1 KB, 2 views)
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-17-2009, 11:18 AM

I'm a huge Opera fan. Unfortunately the real deal at La Scala really doesn't translate to Hi Fi as well as some other genres of music.

Here' s a couple of photos I took at the Verona Opera Festival in 07. Puccini's La Boheme And yes that moon is real!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Just got this as a gift from my friend for tonight session.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41KW2SXC59L._SS500_.jpg (35.0 KB, 4 views)
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Just got this as a gift from my friend for tonight session.
Well I don't have that one- yet.
In my opinion, John Williams is the best classical guitarist to date. Most feel that Andres Segovia holds the title, but John Williams is just a little better.
Pepe Romero, who studied under Segovia, is quite good and of course is from the famous Romero family of Spain. That CD should be quite good.