AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Dynaudio Speakers

Dynaudio Speakers Authentic Fidelity

Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Dean,

Go for it.

The 1.4s are a terrific speaker as you know, but the 3.4s are all that and more. Specifically, the larger cabinet and extra mid-woof will allow the speaker to play full-range music more effectively. I have to disagree with mdkim's comments about not a lot of grunt down low. While they are not true full-range (down to 20 Hz), depending on the room and positioning, they can provide in-room frequency response FLAT down to 30 Hz (not 3dB down). I can post the in-room measurement if you would like to see it to document this fact. Also, in my experience they have a seamlessness and coherence that are real standouts. They will also outperform both the 1.4s and C1s for dynamic slam (ask Dynero). As someone who appreciates classical as much as you do, their ability to scale extremely quickly and their dynamic slam will really let you experience full orchestral symphonic performances with all the scale and dynamism that is really present in classical music. They will have all of it, scale extremely quickly from piano to fortissimo and w/o any hint of breakup at all. The larger cabinet volume will also make them more efficient, which will make it easier for your Naim amp to drive. I've heard owners that have owned both the 5.4 and 3.4, and they say that the 3.4 is more coherent. They are also extremely fast, as fast as the fastest panel speakers. My friend Rob, who owns Quads, was impressed with their coherence and speed, as well as their naturalness and musicality. The first thing he said when he came over to hear my system was "Whatever you do, don't get rid of these speakers." If your REL is part of the trade, I would get the 3.4s now, but think about adding a REL again when budget allows. I found a REL evened out my overall response and filled in the lower octave of bass response to provide full-range performance to below 20Hz.

Check in with Dynero as well as he also owned 3.4s before C1s. He said at one point that while he really liked the C1s very much, he loved the 3.4s. I am confident he will also give you an unqualified recommendation as well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-21-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 AM

If you can, keep the sub to augment the low frequencies. But having switched from monitors (C1) to floor standing (Sapphire), I agree with PC.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
If you can, keep the sub to augment the low frequencies. But having switched from monitors (C1) to floor standing (Sapphire), I agree with PC.
Part of the problem is my sub doesn't work that well for me anymore. It interacts with my Rega turntable. When I had the UnitiQute it wasn't too bad and only affected a few records. Since upgrading to a Naim 202/250/HC it has gotten much worse. This weekend I borrowed an upgraded phono preamp (from my Moon 110LP to a Moon 310LP) and it got even worse. As my system gets more revealing the Rega and REL get along less well. When I play my Naim network streamer I don't have any problems with the sub.

I may have to replace the turntable with something else in any case. Next weekend I may have a ClearAudio Concept on loan.

Not to mention, if I get the 33.4 I will need to trade the sub to help fund them. As it is It may be too much extra money to spend anyway.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 04-22-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Actually, with some more investigation it appears my Rega RP3 is not right, period. I can turn off the sub and get the Contour S1.4 woofers pumping away. Maybe I have another defective Dynavector 20x2-H cartridge. The sub works fine with my digital front end.

However, if I go the S3.4 route, the sub will have to go, at least for a while.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 04-22-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Dean,
I have a REL B1 and Rega P9. My Gingko 14A keeps the B1 from inneracting with my P9. No feedback issues even at moderate volumes (75 on my C2300 and MC452). Only issue I have encountered were due to the LP cutting - enhance low freq.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
Dean,
I have a REL B1 and Rega P9. My Gingko 14A keeps the B1 from inneracting with my P9. No feedback issues even at moderate volumes (75 on my C2300 and MC452). Only issue I have encountered were due to the LP cutting - enhance low freq.
As I mentioned, it turns out there is no interaction issue between my Rega and my REL. There is something defective with the Rega and/or Dynavector. I will take the turntable to my dealer this week.

This Rega/DV setup was supposed to be set it and forget it, but I've had more issues with it than I did with a Linn LP12 in 25 years. I'm now thinking about getting something else. Maybe a Clearaudio.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 04-28-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Hey, Dyn owners! I just noticed we past the 1000 posts milestone in the Dynaudio thread!

Congrats, Dyn fans!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:20 PM

At the Munich hi end show, on static display is a new model, known as the evidence platinum. Finished in matte black and featuring new woofer and midrange drivers but still using the fsmiiar MSP divers, it's the size and dimensions as the evicdece temptation and I was told it will be slotted in between the regular temptation and the Evidence. Not yet in production, possibly shipping last quarter of 2012. I'll try to post pics in due time.

Last edited by Dafos; 05-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Very good! Look forward to the pictures.

Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 AM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
At the Munich hi end show, on static display is a new model, known as the evidence platinum. Finished in matte black and featuring new woofer and midrange drivers but still using the fsmiiar MSP divers, it's the size and dimensions as the evicdece temptation and I was told it will be slotted in between the regular temptation and the Evidence. Not yet in production, possibly shipping last quarter of 2012. I'll try to post pics in due time.
Yeah, yeah; when are they going to mkII the Contour line?? (although I am much less anxious, now that I have my mind-blowing C1 Sigs )