AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Default Shunyata Research Sigma XC power cord

The Shunyata Research Sigma XC power cord is part of the new Reference Series NR v2/XC power cords.

From Shunyata:
"Shunyata Research’s new Reference NR & XC Series power cords were developed using the same materials science and technologies that make the Omega QR the market’s ultimate cost-no-object power cord.

All Reference Series models are priced to be accessible for a range of budgets.

Using proprietary conductors and parts developed for the Omega QR — the Reference NR & XC Series deliver pace-setting performance in each product category."

Some folks may wonder about the differences between the new XC and new NR power cords (PCs).

The XC series was designed to provide maximal current as instantaneously as possible (DTCD) for power distributors. DTCD is the no. 1 requirement for power cords powering power distributors. It does not have noise reducion.

The purpose of the NR series of power cords is to power components, and to prevent noise from inside the power supplies of the amplification or source components, from coming back out, only to be re-distributed within the power conditioner to other componentry. This is why the NR filter is at the component end of the power cord; to reduce the noise at its source. This provides another level of component-to-component noise isolation.

As the power distributor is not an amplification or source component with a power supply, it does not require an NR power cord. This is the application that the XC was designed for.

The NR series of power cords were also designed to provide NR for components that may be plugged straight into the wall, e.g. monoblocks, that may be located near speakers, and may not be close enough to connect to a noise reducing power distributor in an audio rack.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I've been testing the new Sigma XC for about a week now, and in my testing it is ideal as a power cable for power distributors/conditioner e.g. Denalis, Triton V3s, etc. No, wait, It is frickin' amazing as a power cord for power conditioners.

The new Sigma XC (and the new Sigma NR v2) represent signficant improvement over the previous generations Sigma power cords, and in my experience, provide a completely new and "breakthrough" level of improvement.

I'll be posting my review of the new Sigma NR (which COMPLETELY blew my mind) v2 shortly, but let me speak to the new XC:

The new XC is not quite as quiet as the new Sigma NR V2 PC (as you would expect from not having an NR noise filter). Instead it trades off incredible speed, dynamics, quickness for some degree of noise reduction functionality. It has a beautiful crisp and clean musical presentation that reminds me of a medium-format photograph from the 100 megapixel Fujfilm GFX100.

Using the Sigma XC, the presenation is FAST, FAST, FAST and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN and CRISP, but never edgy, glare-y or strident. Again, think of perfectly sharp photo from the GFX100. In Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet by Lorin Maazel and the Cleveland Symphony, there are two very dynamic passages: The Quarrel and The Fight.

Dynamic Transient Current Delivery (DTCD) is the key functional response for this type of power cord and this type of music, and the new Sigma XC delivers DTCD at a level of performance that I have, quite simply, never experienced before.

The Quarrel and The Fight are musically very complex passages, with the full orchestra at times playing a breakneck, frenetic pace. The orchestra scales from soft to VERY loud and back to a lovely soft and delicate quality very dynamically and extremely quickly, and the XC lets the amp have all the current it needs when it needs it. This power cord is like driving a Ferrari 488 and getting it "on the cam", it just...sings.

In summing up: for PDs (power distributors), the new Sigma XC sets a new level of performance for this type of power cord. I know that statement might sound familiar from many audio reviews, but let me state this again: I have NEVER experienced the degree of improvement, performance, and musical qualities from power cords that I've experienced from the new Sigma XC and NR v2 PCs.

For components, the new Sigma NR v2 is gobsmackingly-good. More on that bad-boy shortly.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-02-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:11 AM

It feels weird letting go of the Sigma HC in favor of unfiltered into the Triton V3. The message from Shunyata is clear so it will probably be the best outcome. I run 3 front amps on one TV3 and mostly electronics on the other one. XC on the amps Triton V3 sounds logical, XC on the frontend electronics Triton may feel less logical.

In anticipation of a future Triton V4 with VTX-Ag conductors and supernoise reduction tech and banks of power I guess the XC's will fit the bill.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
It feels weird letting go of the Sigma HC in favor of unfiltered into the Triton V3. The message from Shunyata is clear so it will probably be the best outcome. I run 3 front amps on one TV3 and mostly electronics on the other one. XC on the amps Triton V3 sounds logical, XC on the frontend electronics Triton may feel less logical.

In anticipation of a future Triton V4 with VTX-Ag conductors and supernoise reduction tech and banks of power I guess the XC's will fit the bill.
Yes, and my understanding is there will not be a Triton V4. V3 was the "last of the Tritons". Kinda like "she's the last of the V8s" in Mad Max.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-03-2020 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 AM
Cool, calm scientist

The new Sigma XC has true carbon-fibre plugs that reduce micro-distortions from CF's ability to attenuate vibration.

And, they're beautiful, too...

Old 04-08-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
The NR series of power cords were also designed to provide NR for components that may be plugged straight into the wall, e.g. monoblocks, that may be located near speakers, and may not be close enough to connect to a noise reducing power distributor in an audio rack.
My amp is plugged straight into the wall but has one of my dedicated circuits to itself. Would using an NR to clean up the the noise leaving my amp still provide a benefit? Your mention of the XC having “incredible speed, dynamics, quickness” suggests it would be an ideal match for my Spectral amp.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
My amp is plugged straight into the wall but has one of my dedicated circuits to itself. Would using an NR to clean up the the noise leaving my amp still provide a benefit? Your mention of the XC having “incredible speed, dynamics, quickness” suggests it would be an ideal match for my Spectral amp.
If you're running straight from a wall receptacle to your amp, I'd recommend an NR power cord. It will not only prevent noise leaving your amp but filter noise entering it from the AC mains.

Some folks may think that a dedicated line has no noise on it, but this is not the case. All AC mains wiring is a very good antenna for RF noise (including AM and FM radio) and is susceptable to EMI.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I've been testing the new Sigma XC for about a week now, and in my testing it is ideal as a power cable for power distributors/conditioner e.g. Denalis, Triton V3s, etc. No, wait, It is frickin' amazing as a power cord for power conditioners.

The new Sigma XC (and the new Sigma NR v2) represent signficant improvement over the previous generations Sigma power cords, and in my experience, provide a completely new and "breakthrough" level of improvement.

I'll be posting my review of the new Sigma NR (which COMPLETELY blew my mind) v2 shortly, but let me speak to the new XC:

The new XC is not quite as quiet as the new Sigma NR V2 PC (as you would expect from not having an NR noise filter). Instead it trades off incredible speed, dynamics, quickness for some degree of noise reduction functionality. It has a beautiful crisp and clean musical presentation that reminds me of a medium-format photograph from the 100 megapixel Fujfilm GFX100.

Using the Sigma XC, the presenation is FAST, FAST, FAST and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN and CRISP, but never edgy, glare-y or strident. Again, think of perfectly sharp photo from the GFX100. In Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet by Lorin Maazel and the Cleveland Symphony, there are two very dynamic passages: The Quarrel and The Fight.

Dynamic Transient Current Delivery (DTCD) is the key functional response for this type of power cord and this type of music, and the new Sigma XC delivers DTCD at a level of performance that I have, quite simply, never experienced before.

The Quarrel and The Fight are musically very complex passages, with the full orchestra at times playing a breakneck, frenetic pace. The orchestra scales from soft to VERY loud and back to a lovely soft and delicate quality very dynamically and extremely quickly, and the XC lets the amp have all the current it needs when it needs it. This power cord is like driving a Ferrari 488 and getting it "on the cam", it just...sings.

In summing up: for PDs (power distributors), the new Sigma XC sets a new level of performance for this type of power cord. I know that statement might sound familiar from many audio reviews, but let me state this again: I have NEVER experienced the degree of improvement, performance, and musical qualities from power cords that I've experienced from the new Sigma XC and NR v2 PCs.

For components, the new Sigma NR v2 is gobsmackingly-good. More on that bad-boy shortly.
Puma Cat, on the strength of your and other trusted sources I took the plunge on the Sigma XC. This cable replaced a prior Sigma analog that was running from the wall into a Typhon QR then Triton V3. This combination produced outstanding results. I was happy with the results, but there was a nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right, something is missing. It's one of those things that are hard pinpoint, its just a feeling. The Typhon QR and Triton v3 are well know amazing performers. The Sigma is an amazing PC in its own right. The source and amplification are top notch by all estimates. So what was wrong. As its so hard to know not hearing different systems I was stuck. Enjoying very much the music, but not quite comfortable. I think this is a well know feeling amongst us audiophiles. This prompts the next purchase I was very nervous about using a Sigma NR versus Sigma XC to the Typhon QR/Triton V3. I was thinking, no noise reduction that doesn't sound good. I even originally placed an order for the NR but quickly reversed it. I remembered that Grant and Caelin recommended the XC to power distributors.
Enter the Sigma XC. Wow with this one change I get what the problem was before. Real music has a life to it. Live music has no sluggishness to the sound - it just breathes and fills the room with immediacy. The Sigma XC has in one fell swoop done just that. The XC has set my system free -and brought my system a big step closer to live music. It's funny how easy in retrospect it is to say okay I should have understood there was a restriction in the cord to my power distributor. But I guess until I've heard it I couldn't possibly guess. It seems easier to determine when noise is present in my system, and the steps to eliminate it. This is something different, and I wonder if its the improved DTCD, something else or all together. But as Puma has stated, this cable just produces a live music quality that goes beyond traditional terms. It's everything together that is improved. This is a wonderful cable, easily one of the best upgrades from Shunyata. Highly recommended for connecting to a power distributor.

Last edited by DMelby; 05-07-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post
Puma Cat, on the strength of your and other trusted sources I took the plunge on the Sigma XC. This cable replaced a prior Sigma analog that was running from the wall into a Typhon QR then Triton V3. This combination produced outstanding results. I was happy with the results, but there was a nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right, something is missing. It's one of those things that are hard pinpoint, its just a feeling. The Typhon QR and Triton v3 are well know amazing performers. The Sigma is an amazing PC in its own right. The source and amplification are top notch by all estimates. So what was wrong. As its so hard to know not hearing different systems I was stuck. Enjoying very much the music, but not quite comfortable. I think this is a well know feeling amongst us audiophiles. This prompts the next purchase I was very nervous about using a Sigma NR versus Sigma XC to the Typhon QR/Triton V3. I was thinking, no noise reduction that doesn't sound good. I even originally placed an order for the NR but quickly reversed it. I remembered that Grant and Caelin recommended the XC to power distributors.
Enter the Sigma XC. Wow with this one change I get what the problem was before. Real music has a life to it. Live music has no sluggishness to the sound - it just breathes and fills the room with immediacy. The Sigma XC has in one fell swoop done just that. The XC has set my system free -and brought my system a big step closer to live music. It's funny how easy in retrospect it is to say okay I should have understood there was a restriction in the cord to my power distributor. But I guess until I've heard it I couldn't possibly guess. It seems easier to determine when noise is present in my system, and the steps to eliminate it. This is something different, and I wonder if its the improved DTCD, something else or all together. But as Puma has stated, this cable just produces a live music quality that goes beyond traditional terms. It's everything together that is improved. This is a wonderful cable, easily one of the best upgrades from Shunyata. Highly recommended for connecting to a power distributor.
Congratulations!!! The V2 cables are the best yet from Shunyata..have my own plan to move to an XC as soon as I can and another to upgrade the umbilical between my Tv3 and TQR!
Old 05-07-2020, 10:17 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMelby View Post
Hi Dr. Melby,
Its very good to hear that you found my "impressions review" to be informative and accurate, but more importantly, that you are happy with your purchase because you are having engaging and beguiling musical experiences

Your insights about the Sigma XC brings are accurate and consistent with my experiences and also, I think, consistent with how Shunyata designs the various types of cables for their respective applications.

I remember reading some information from Shunyata that they had discovered in their 20+ years of designing power cables and based on extensive listening tests, that DTCD is the most single most important functional attribute for power cables with respect for their ability to re-create musical experiences that listeners found most realistic and most-involving.

As Shunyata has systematically developed other useful capabilities for their power cables, the most notable of which may be their built-in noise reduction functionality. I also think what has happened from these developments, to some degree, is that some folks may place NR over other functional attributes. However, my understanding is that even with these new developments e.g. NR, they must still be "in service" to DTCD.

So, DTCD is Requirement #1 and what you are hearing and experiencing is a direct result of the innovation and performance brought by the new Sigma XC. The most compelling thing I've discovered about it is that the normal "audiophile lexicon" we all used for years to describe "gear" doesn't serve to describe what we're hearing. We'd better served by writing about what makes a Bosendorer Concert Grand so wonderful, or the timbral differences between a Stradivarius vs. a Guanerius violin.

If we step aside from talking about power cables for a moment, we're aware of a large number of power distributors that also provide noise reduction capability. How to do this has been known for some time: you can reduce AC noise by using coils, chokes, or inductors, balun transformers, etc., or some combination of these. The problem with these approaches, though, is that these methodologies sacrifice DTCD for noise reduction. The result is a presentation that is quieter, but often sounds dark, lacks immediacy, ability to scale very quickly, and as a result, often sounds constricted or restricted. And most certainly, not engaging, involving and life-like.

Some of the key breakthoughs that Shunyata has been developing for the last decade is the ability to provide increasing levels of NR in power distributors (PD) without using chokes, coils, inductors, transfomers, and without compromising DTCD. Starting with the Hydra 8, V-Ray, and Triton V1, and then continuing on with the Triton V2, V3 and the Denali series, Shunyata has been able to continally decrease noise while maximizing DTCD. This represents a significant innovation, because they were able to break through what is known in TRIZ as a functional conflict: significantly decreasing noise while concomitantly maximizing DTCD.

What this does is provide the right performance attributes in the right "manner" at the "right place": a 3-pronged approach that maximizes each functionality where it is most needed:

1) XC PCs: --> maximal current and DTCD for PDs
2) NR PDs: "incoming NR" with maximal AC current distribution to components
3) NR PCs: "Outgoing NR" from components, keeping "the pool of power" in the distribution system clean.

So...
1) The new XC power cords provide maximal current delivery and DTCD performance to the PD.
2) The PD distributes AC current to the system components while significantly lowering the overall noise floor "at the source."
3) The NR series of power cords can stop noise at the components' internal power supply's end from being reflected back out into the pool of current in the distribution system so that the "water in the pool" stays maximally clean.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-07-2020 at 10:24 PM.