AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-20-2020, 03:11 AM

Default Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 UK versus PS Audio P10

I was wondering if any of my fellow AA’ers can give a knowledgable opinion on this.

I am replacing the power cables for most of my equipment with new NR types. I have a PS Audio P10 which works very well and I am quite happy with it. But... would there be greater synergy if I also replaced the P10 with the Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 UK?

Not having much in the way of savings, I cannot do all at once. I would really like to be better informed, so that I may plan my next moves.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 08-20-2020, 12:33 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
But... would there be greater synergy if I also replaced the P10 with the Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 UK?
I would think so, yes. Not only better synergy, better overall performance, both with respect to DTCD and noise reduction. One of the key reasons is that you'd be getting noise reduction from the incoming AC mains and then also noise reduction from the NR power cords preventing noise from the components' rectifiers from being reflected back into the power distribution system to contaminate other amplification or source components. IIRC, Alpha A10 provides >50 dB noise reduction input to output and >60dB zone to zone.

And...you'd be getting this level of noise reduction with no impact on dynamic transient current delivery (DTCD). This is key because its the ability to provide DTCD that results in a presentation that can scale dynamically extremely quickly and provide immediacy, scale, power, "volume", lifelike-ness and what I call "dynamic slam". Another operative word here would be: "verisimilitude".

There is also the sophisticated GP-NR system that significantly reduces noise on the ground plane: "When it comes to reducing noise, engineers focus primarily on the AC electrical lines, with little thought given to the ground lines. The incoming ground line and the internal power conditioner ground plane can actually act as antennae, drawing in electrical noise that may interfere with the operation of the connected components. Ground Plane Noise Reduction is a proprietary technology developed by Shunyata Research to significantly reduce interference caused by this phenomenon, thereby providing a more pure audio experience."

I've got experience using Shunyata's GP-NR system, and its benefits are quite audible.

Most importantly, you'll find the musical experience with the Alpha A10 to be more compelling and engaging.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-20-2020 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:13 PM

Thank you Puma Cat. Just what I needed. But don’t let that stop any other comments, fellow AA’ers!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 08-21-2020, 03:35 PM

No one can tell you which you will prefer, but the companies certainly have different views on power distribution. No harm in demoing an Alpha A10 once your NR cords come in, right?
Old 08-21-2020, 06:19 PM

I think you would enjoy first starting with an XC cable alpha/sigma from wall and an A10 or a used Triton V3. This will enhance your whole setup to a new level.
Then preamp and a source with delta/alpha V2 NR.
Then Amps with alpha V2 NR.

Enjoy!