Tim...thanks again for your response
Old 04-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Tim, I'd like to but I don't have it.
I just looked it up and it is a bit too expensive for me

Unless Ivan still has some...
I was thinking you have it on CD in the Decca Analogue Years box!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Dear Cyril, Randy, Carlos, Bart, Graham and reader friends - my sincere thanks to each of you for reading and for your kind words.

Graham I took advantage of your musings on non-cognitive listening and thank you for those. Cyril, thank you, I responded off-line. Bart and Carlos you have that Maazel/VPO Sibelius 1; I'd love to know your thoughts in the Classical thread.
Hi, Tim. Yes, the Sibelius SACD is outstanding. Here are my thoughts from the Classical Music thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Now this...

Sibelius: Symphony No. 1 in E minor Op. 39, Karelia Suite Op.11
Wiener Philharmoniker, Lorin Maazel

This is the Esoteric SACD remastering of the 1963 classic. The performance by the VPO is outstanding, but what sets this disc apart is the sheer quality of the 50+ year-old recorded sound captured by Decca engineers at the Sofiensaal. The transparency and presence is remarkable, but what steals the show here is the brass section which sounds live.

This disc is discontinued, but Ivan was able to secure a copy for me at the regular retail price (which is not cheap).
Old 04-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
I was thinking you have it on CD in the Decca Analogue Years box!
Tim ,I just checked and indeed, it's there! Yippee!
Should be close to the SACD I guess...
I'll give it a spin in the next days.

I read a article about how they did the remastering for the new Mercury Living Presence box.
The May edition of 'Stereo' magazine tells about it, with an extensive interview with remastering engineer Andrew Walter.
It was a real cost no object project.
A lot of care, love and skill went into it.

They compared some of these CDs with the LP versions from Speakers Corner and they beautifully held their own.

I couldn't resist and ordered it...

But I think I'm completely off topic here. Sorry.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

But I think I'm completely off topic here. Sorry.
We can continue in the Classical listening thread, though I'm not sure how talking about music on a site named Audio Aficionado could ever be off topic.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:09 PM

Great review - thanks for pointing it. Reading the comparison of the M1.2 with a known reference, the REF250's, was very enlightening. Now all we can dream is a followup using a Lamm preamplifier.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:51 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Some folks asked about tube alternatives for the M1.2. Check the sidebar: Power, isolation and tube rolling.
A brief update to add to the list of tubes rolled...

Finally had a chance to try a nice pair of Siemens Halske 6922 gray shield 1965 (A0 Series) in the Lamm M1.2 Ref. Very nice definition around performers and instruments that yields excellent dimensional presence. Bass is as good (maybe a teeny wee bit better) as the top-rated Amperex 7308 '63 PQ shield. Maybe not quite the tippy top extension of that tube but close with high resolution without hardness. Ever so slightly cooler but rich harmonics that contrast as ever so slightly lighter than the lush, dense Amperex string tone. Leading edge transients are crisp with definition though maybe not as pizzicato-snap-sharp as the PQ shield though decay will last and last until the end. A wonderful tube, it wedges its way into my top 3.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:47 PM

GREAT REVIEW!! It makes proud to know that my investment those few years ago is still cutting edge - SOTA. In a world where the moment after you make a purchase, it becomes obsolete, my Lamm M1.2 monos and the Lamm L2 preamp is still at the top of the audio pile.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

To quote a friend: "The best pursuits in life have little to do with endless ascension. Great audio systems ideally provide an emotional conduit to the transcendent beauty of music."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
... In a world where the moment after you make a purchase, it becomes obsolete, my Lamm M1.2 monos and the Lamm L2 preamp is still at the top of the audio pile.
The Lamms are grounded on Vladimir's studies into the way we hear with the ears we have. That hasn't changed, and no amount of market churn will make it obsolete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
I've been looking for reviews that feature the Alexias and the Lamm M1.2s, but can't seem to find 'em anywhere. Any of you have any experience with or read any reviews of the aforementioned?
Hopefully you found at least some of the information you sought about pairing the M1.2 and the Wilson Alexia.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
To quote a friend: "The best pursuits in life have little to do with endless ascension. Great audio systems ideally provide an emotional conduit to the transcendent beauty of music." The Lamms are grounded on Vladimir's studies into the way we hear with the ears we have. That hasn't changed, and no amount of market churn will make it obsolete. Hopefully you found at least some of the information you sought about pairing the M1.2 and the Wilson Alexia.
Thanks for all your info and support for this great hobby of ours. You are a treasure of knowledge and an asset to this forum.