AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-17-2018, 01:37 PM

Default What is going on with McIntosh????

What is interesting is that other Audio products from other companies I have had other than McIntosh in the past and recently that command fewer dollars are flawless in fit, finish and function, such as Rotel, Sim Moon, PS Audio and Oppo.

Last edited by ps7256; 11-17-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
What is interesting is that other Audio products from other companies I have had other than McIntosh in the past and recently that command fewer dollars are flawless in fit, finish and function, such as Rotel, Sim Moon, PS Audio and Oppo.
Did you contact McIntosh with your date of purchase, dealer name, serial number, etc., and explain to them how disappointed you are; and what was their response, and reason?

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM

Also, amplifiers can be very heavy and difficult to maneuver requiring 2 careful people. If dropped bad things could happen.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Hi Ron,

Only contacted McIntosh to update serial number for warranty. Through the issues my local dealer was working with the local McIntosh sales representative. My dealer did contact McIntosh for me and expressed my disappointment and concerns. I am following up with my dealer on what the reasons were for the issues, but have not heard anything definitive yet.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:09 PM

Default What is going on with McIntosh????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Also, amplifiers can be very heavy and difficult to maneuver requiring 2 careful people. If dropped bad things could happen.

Ron

Yes, difficult to tell if units suffered transportation damage from a possible drop. All boxes mine came in were secure and from a superficial perspective the boxes looked clean and in good shape.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps7256 View Post
Hi Ron,

Only contacted McIntosh to update serial number for warranty. Through the issues my local dealer was working with the local McIntosh sales representative. My dealer did contact McIntosh for me and expressed my disappointment and concerns. I am following up with my dealer on what the reasons were for the issues, but have not heard anything definitive yet.
I have nothing bad to say about McIntosh as they have always been prompt and responsive even for non warranty components.

Best of Luck and Happy Listening.

Ron
Old 11-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks Ron[emoji41]
Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 PM

I have had nothing but great experience from McIntosh. Not long ago I had an MA6450 that needed to have the bulbs replaced. I took it to a local authorized service center that replaced the bulbs but returned it with a broken led light (the one by the power switch) and glass that had smudge marks on the inside in front of the meters. I returned it to the service center for them to fix what they had damaged. When I went to pick it up, the glass was cracked. I figured that was enough and called McIntosh to see if they could service it. Keep in mind that this was only a couple of years ago so the MA6450 was quite old at that time. When I explained what had happened they apologized for what their authorized service center had done and said for me to send it in for them to look at. I unfortunately didn’t have the original box so I packed it as best I could without one and sent it off. Within a month they called and said it was done and would be shipping it back. I asked how much it would be and was told it would be no charge due to what I had already gone through with their service center. I was stunned. Needless to say I thanked them over and over. When it arrived, it was in a brand new factory box and looked like new. Not only did they replace the glass, they went through everything. Even the volume control was serviced. This is something I will never forget and will be a life long customer.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I have had nothing but great experience from McIntosh. Not long ago I had an MA6450 that needed to have the bulbs replaced.........................
That is a great story and testimony. Thanks for sharing.

One word of caution though.............always ship with a real factory McIntosh box made for your components, as all its takes is pressure on a knob to crack the glass.

Happy Listening!
Ron
Old 11-17-2018, 11:05 PM

The glass at the time was already broken so I figured I had nothing to lose. All of my current units have factory boxes so it shouldn’t be an issue in the future should I need to ship them.

I’m glad to have shared the story because I really was blown away by the over the top service. To me they are a great company. I’m sorry that others have had some bad experiences, but as others have said, those are what we tend to hear.