AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2019, 11:43 PM
Born-again audiophile

Default MX150 rebooting itself regularly

I've had an MX150 with the 151 upgrade for many years. It hasn't given me any trouble until the last few weeks. Nothing has changed in how I use it or how anything in the system is hooked up. Suddenly and without warning the unit shuts down (just like if you turned it off) but then comes back on with the regular initialization process. Since my amps are controlled by the MX150 they also shut down and restart. Cycling off/on this type of gear is obviously bad.

I can not determine any sort of pattern to the shutdowns. I have reliably steady and clean power, but not absolutely perfect. I thought maybe a power dip was happening in the dedicated 20 amp house circuit that feeds my rack so I plugged the MX150 into a separate circuit but the problem continued.

One odd thing is that the reboot doesn't seem to happen if I'm only playing music (usually from a Sonos connect or a tuner.) I can do that all day. When I start watching TV in the evening after a couple hours the unit does it's off routine - but not every night! When the TV is on and busy the cable box/DVR is also working. In fact the whole system is working harder since all speaker channels/amps are more involved. I don't know if any of this matters. I'll also mention that once the first spontaneous reboot happens the following ones seem to happen at an increasing frequency.

It hurts me physically every time the system reboots itself. I just hear all my components groan...

Help! Any ideas?

Thanks,

JR
C2700, Bryston SP3, MC2301's, MC205, Sonus Faber Amati Futura's mains, SF center, Klipsch Sur/Back, JL F113, VPI Classic III, MR87, Pioneer Kuro plasma monitor, Oppo BDP-105, Sonos Port with W4S mod, Bryston BIT20.[/SIZE][/COLOR]