AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-03-2018, 02:32 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Cable Fraud, Is It Real?

You read the warnings about fraud when it comes to cables from manufacturers web-sites, is it too much to ask a cable manufacturer to validate serial numbers?

Still wonder who really is making cables in a fraudulent way, and how many of these do they really sell to such a small community or is it a game of fear to always feed the machine?

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:35 AM

It seems real enough, particularly with high priced cables that are popular in Asia like Siltech. Asia is a huge high end audio market. Do you have experience where manufacturers refuse to validate serial numbers?
Old 02-03-2018, 07:23 AM

NordOst will not do that anymore , they told me. As there are too many asking, also according to NordOst.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
NordOst will not do that anymore , they told me. As there are too many asking, also according to NordOst.
That's odd - I would think they'd be grateful that people are authenticating their products. That's in the maunufacturer's best interest. What's the value of a serial number if it can't be referenced?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
That's odd - I would think they'd be grateful that people are authenticating their products. That's in the maunufacturer's best interest. What's the value of a serial number if it can't be referenced?
I can only say i think the same as you do, but as i asked for them if they would, i was told no as they dont have enough time to do so. Also seems kind of odd to me as i would suppose a bigger company like them would have serial numbers on computer where it wouldn't take them long to look up.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 AM

Unfortunately, it is a real problem. They just emulate the outer appearance of a cable. The innards are absolute crap. In some cases, they don’t try all that hard to do a good job on the outside. This is one of the reasons we no longer use printed heatshrink for labeling. it is far to easy to duplicate. There is actually a high-end speaker in China “designed by Caelin Gabriel”. For the record, I have never designed a speaker.

Of more concern to me are the people ripping off technology and applying to their own product lines. These people we prosecute. We have even received Chinese patents so the we can prosecute Chinese manufacturers.

We receive many requests to validate authenticity of our products weekly, We are very happy to provide this information. Usually all it takes is a closeup photo or the serial number.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 PM

I would like to say that Shunyata has been wonderful about authenticating cables. They have authenticated all the power and signal cables I bought used. I emailed them pictures and serial number and they were quick to reply. They also have excellent customer service. I broke the end of a Venom USB cable I bought new a couple years ago. They were very quick again to reply and give me an RMA number.

I have heard that Audioquest is one of the brands that you have to be careful about fakes. I would be very leery of any cable coming from China or Asia.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Caelin.......I am pleased to read you prosecute counterfeiters of your products. These thieves deserve to be unmasked and made to suffer the consequences of their illegal activities. Intellectual property and proprietary designs are your rightful creations. Those who seek to steal from you deserve the full force of the law brought down upon them. I commend your actions and wish other manufacturers would be more willing to share your concern and efforts.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Caelin.......I am pleased to read you prosecute counterfeiters of your products. These thieves deserve to be unmasked and made to suffer the consequences of their illegal activities. Intellectual property and proprietary designs are your rightful creations. Those who seek to steal from you deserve the full force of the law brought down upon them. I commend your actions and wish other manufacturers would be more willing to share your concern and efforts.
Thank you, Dan. We have shutdown several operations in China with the help of our “Chinese Authorities”. And a couple in the good old US of A.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
We receive many requests to validate authenticity of our products weekly, We are very happy to provide this information. Usually all it takes is a closeup photo or the serial number.
Bravo! I would expect high end luxury product manufacturers to gladly validate the authenticity of their wares. Counterfeiting is rampant and interconnects are an easy target. Part of the long term value of a high end offering is a guarantee of its provenance.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v