AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 03-28-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
The other day i saw for first time the Sonus Faber Elipsa Red.

What a beauty! Never seen speakers better looking than this.

Very curious to know how they compare to Olympica III as i am also a proud owner.

Good luck John!
Agreed, the Elipsa's in the classic Sonus Faber violin red are stunning. Actually, it would hurt me to buy any Sonus Fabers that weren't in the red finish, I love it so much.

John
Old 03-28-2018, 12:27 AM

I saw them in Tokyo and price was around 10,000 USD.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM

John,
Have you considered updating other pieces of your system? The reason I ask is that the Olympica III's are an outstanding speaker. Without knowing about the rest of your gear, it's hard to tell if any of the models in your price range would be truly better. They will all be significantly older, and Sonus Faber's house sound has changed over the years. Different, sure. Better? Hard to say.

For example, if you're a digital guy and your DAC is more than a few years old and cost less than $20k, a newer DAC in the $2k to $5k price range will best it by a fair margin.

If you're an analog guy, a new playback package in your price range could provide years of enjoyment.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-29-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
John,
Have you considered updating other pieces of your system? The reason I ask is that the Olympica III's are an outstanding speaker. Without knowing about the rest of your gear, it's hard to tell if any of the models in your price range would be truly better. They will all be significantly older, and Sonus Faber's house sound has changed over the years. Different, sure. Better? Hard to say.

For example, if you're a digital guy and your DAC is more than a few years old and cost less than $20k, a newer DAC in the $2k to $5k price range will best it by a fair margin.

If you're an analog guy, a new playback package in your price range could provide years of enjoyment.

Tom
Tom, good points all. And please don't get me wrong, I completely agree that
they are an outstanding speaker, and I love mine. I'm just trying to calculate what model might bring me even more of the same sound I appreciate so much, still work in my room, and would be an upgrade, in terms of model, that could be bought used within my pricepoint.

I also agree that I need to be very careful here as to the differences to those older models, and the newer ones, as the sound signature changed, and it is what I admire about the Olympica III's.

I feel pretty locked down on the rest of the system, which is as follows:

Preamp - Manley Neo Classic 300B preamplifier
Power amp - Conrad Johnson ART SA
DAC - ModWright Elyse (also have a HoloAudio Spring DAC LEVEL 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition")
Network Player/Streamer - Aurender N100H
CD/SACD player - Marantz Reference Series SA‑11S

John
Old 03-29-2018, 06:55 PM

John - I get it. It's a pretty tough problem to solve given what you already have.
Good luck with the hunt!

BTW, you've got some very interesting and unconventional DAC's in your system.
It would be interesting to get your opinions on both, perhaps in a different thread.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 04-02-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Update:

I've resurrected this discussion as, is often the way of the world, certain things have changed. There have been several family surgeries recently, all of which, very thankfully, went extremely well. Unfortunately, due to the wonders of Obamacare, you find yourself in the position of having to pay large sums of money upfront, for an extended portion of what percentage you owe, before the operations could take place. Due to that, I have somewhat less to invest in a potential Sonus Faber upgrade.

The new maximum that I can spend for a used pair of speakers is $10-12k, at most. That is about half of what a pair of used SF Amati Futura's, that were recommended by many of you go for, so those are simply not a viable option.

Are any of the older Amati's usable/recommendable in a room my size, including:

Amati Homage
Amati Anniversario?

I will also likely revisit the possibility of a pair of SF Elipsa SE's since several of you were on record as thinking they would work well in my room, have experience setting them up in a similar size rooms, and I have always loved their appearance.

However, I have had at least one Sonus Faber dealer tell me that the Elipsa SE's are consistent with what he termed the "old" Sonus Faber house sound. He said that the Olympica III's are part of the new, more dynamic overall sound, that still retains the magical midrange and highs that SF is famous for. He also thought that the Amati Futuras were the ideal next step up, which I am left unable to afford now. Will the overall sound of the Elipsa SE's be significantly less dynamic and impactful than my Olympica III's?

Thank you for any thoughts on this. Your expertise and knowledge is greatly valued.

John
Any comments on my updated needs and what would work best?

John
Old 04-03-2018, 08:13 AM

I have Guarneri Memento's in a 13x21x10 room. They fill the space beautifully. Granted they are just 2-way speakers, but they hit above their weight class IMO.

I have heard the Amati Futura in a large listening room and it also did a great job. I think a lot of having the speakers fit the space is to ensure you have them placed properly and do what you can to minimize the room effects (via treatments).
Old 04-04-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin17 View Post
I have Guarneri Memento's in a 13x21x10 room. They fill the space beautifully. Granted they are just 2-way speakers, but they hit above their weight class IMO.

I have heard the Amati Futura in a large listening room and it also did a great job. I think a lot of having the speakers fit the space is to ensure you have them placed properly and do what you can to minimize the room effects (via treatments).
Agreed on proper placing and at least some effort to treat the rooms issues. And the Memento's are an outstanding speaker, but I don't think I could go back to a 2 way after experiencing the Olympica III's.

John