AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
In terms of greatest impact, Stillpoints suggests speakers, then amps followed by power conditioner and front-end electronics.

I'm thinking an active power conditioner reaps greater benefit than a passive one.

I remember AA user audiot servant speaking v. highly of Ultra5s under his 20.7s. I suspect Stillpoints could have an adapter to fit with your Mye stands. Yes, the Ultra5s are pricey but become a permanent investment that you can keep across component changes. You might be able 'to get away with' Ultra5s under the panels with UltraSS on the back braces, but I don't know anyone who has tried that approach. It would be worth a quick e-mail to John or Paul at SP to discuss.

After that four UltraSS under your Pass mono-blocks. You could do these first; I found the impact under my amps almost as great as that under the speakers. But I suspect that may be somewhat component dependent. Of course amp stands designed for isolation are another option.

Different components and systems will respond accordingly but it is rare that proper isolation fails to bring positive gains.
Thanks, Tim. I'll look into this upgrade.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Isolating speakers is something that seems counterintuitive to me. You want the cones (or membrane) - especially bass cones, to be able to reverberate very quickly. This means the cones have to change their direction of travel very quickly. The best way to do that is for the cones to be connected to a rigid cabinet that in turn is solidly anchored to the floor. Hence most speaker companies provide spiked feet for carpet use. I know speaker cabinets are rigid more for avoiding resonance than anything else, but the need for spikes tells me speaker companies have found their products to perform better if they do not move with respect to the floor in any way. Isolation by definition needs to provide the means to blunt the initial impulse of the sound wave either impinging on (or being launched from) your audio component.

In thinking it through with the concepts I'm familiar with, perhaps Stillpoints and other isolation accessories improve the higher frequency tones and retract ever so slightly from the bass tones when used with speakers. The reason I think that is because higher frequency drivers move much faster by definition than lower frequency drivers. Given the relative weights of these drivers with respect to the cabinets in which they're mounted, the isolation of the cabinet from the floor may lessen cabinet resonances for the higher frequency drivers. The bass drivers on the other hand may experience subtle doppler effects that detract from their ability to provide as defined of a tone compared to a cabinet that does not move from the floor - however slight this movement and affect is.

That said, this is all conjecture on my part. I know my fellow audiophiles here have good ears and I believe in the sonic benefits being reported. So that leaves me no choice but to acquire some and hear for myself with my own speakers!
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 05-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:39 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
Isolating speakers is something that seems counterintuitive to me. You want the cones (or membrane) - especially bass cones, to be able to reverberate very quickly. This means the cones have to change their direction of travel very quickly. The best way to do that is for the cones to be connected to a rigid cabinet that in turn is solidly anchored to the floor. Hence most speaker companies provide spiked feet for carpet use. I know speaker cabinets are rigid more for avoiding resonance than anything else, but the need for spikes tells me speaker companies have found their products to perform better if they do not move with respect to the floor in any way. Isolation by definition needs to provide the means to blunt the initial impulse of the sound wave either impinging on (or being launched from) your audio component.

In thinking it through with the concepts I'm familiar with, perhaps Stillpoints and other isolation accessories improve the higher frequency tones and retract ever so slightly from the bass tones when used with speakers. The reason I think that is because higher frequency drivers move much faster by definition than lower frequency drivers. Given the relative weights of these drivers with respect to the cabinets in which they're mounted, the isolation of the cabinet from the floor may lessen cabinet resonances for the higher frequency drivers. The bass drivers on the other hand may experience subtle doppler effects that detract from their ability to provide as defined of a tone compared to a cabinet that does not move from the floor - however slight this movement and affect is.

That said, this is all conjecture on my part. I know my fellow audiophiles here have good ears and I believe in the sonic benefits being reported. So that leaves me no choice but to acquire some and hear for myself with my own speakers!
Interesting thoughts; FWIW, my most expensive speakers did not even come with spikes, SF Aida's and TAD R1's
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-15-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post

Ylee, I agree with your point about speaker manufacturers' need to control cabinet resonance for the sake of clearest possible sound reproduction, but as far as any doppler effect compromising the deeper bass notes with speakers using isolating footers, I will only address my own results, and can say I heard deeper and better-defined bass from my speakers with the Stillpoints installed. The Stillpoints are designed to dissipate the energy as heat into the device itself, without interacting with the floor. My results led me to the conclusion that when using the factory spikes on the floor system in my home, due to apparent resonances in my floor that evidently added to cabinet motion and compromised my speakers' ability to resolve, I was unable to enjoy the same degree of resolution with my system on factory spikes as on Stillpoints footers. The benefits were not subtle. As audiophiles, we are all interested in optimizing our system's abilities to reproduce sound as accurately as we possibly can. No two rooms or systems are identical, which helps to keep things interesting, and so YMMV, of course. Good luck, and keep us posted! Ted.

Magico Q3 plus S-Pods, Spectral DMA-500AR, DMC-30SV pre, Esoteric F-03a, Esoteric S-05, Esoteric P02X, N-01XD,
Cybershaft OP21A-D, Roon Nucleus Plus w/S-Booster LPS, Uptone Audio EtherRegen w/ LPS-1.2, MIT Oracle MA-X V2's, Oracle SHD-120 V2, Shunyata Sigma Clock 50’s, Sigma Ethernet’s, Alpha USB-V2, Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI's, MIT Oracle Z-III PC's, Z Power Bar Conditioner, Coherence Systems ADD-Powr Sorcer X4, EAU2, Furutech Flux 50 filters, GTX-D rhodium outlets, service sub panel w/ 4-30 amp dedicated circuits, Stillpoints Ultra 6, Ultra 5, Ultra SS, HRS Damping Plates, Cable Isolators, Sony XBR75ZH8.

Last edited by Yardbird; 05-28-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:59 PM

What's the difference between the Ultra SS V1 and V2?
Old 05-06-2022, 05:59 PM

zorronj… Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-06-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorronj View Post
What's the difference between the Ultra SS V1 and V2?
Ultra SS v1 is long discontinued. Ultra SS v2 is the improved, current new version.
CAPE COD

Old 09-10-2022, 12:07 AM

I used Ultra 6 V2 under my Vitus SIA-030 amplifier and MSB Reference DAC unit. Ultra 2s are screwed into the CNC machined chassis of the MSB Powerbase unit.