AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 10-19-2017, 03:39 PM

I remember reading about 'pseudo triodes' as Steve calls them on the Decware forum at some point. I actually had one of his SE34I back in the days but unfortunately it wasn't a very good match with the speakers I had at the time. The first iteration was only rated at 3.4 watts per channel after all...

I've never heard a 2a3 or 45 amplifier either and the LM 210ia was my first exposure to 300b. I was lucky to have it playing in my system for 2 days and I really liked it. I am anxious to hear what a 45 sounds like and hopefully it connects with me. Apparently 2a3 tubes are magical with female vocals but can sound a little thin, which could potentially be adressed with a PSE design I would imagine.

KT77s have me intrigued as well and I can't wait to hear them in a triode strapped Inspire, PSE or not. Just like you, the amplifier is going to be hi-passed so the last octave isn't really a priority. All I need to be a happy camper is some sweet mids with nice texture, decent sized soundstage and pin-point 3D imaging... I'm not asking for too much, am I?

What's high on the priority list is to be able to enjoy my system for late night listening sessions and to really feel like the main vocalist or solo instrument is there in the room with me, floating in between the speakers just a few feet away, trying to seduce me in a very believable manner

I get the impression that we have similar tastes and appreciate your contribution to the forum.

Cheers,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
I believe, based on my own experience with the KT-88 Triode-strapped Inspire amp (20 watt trannies and long chassis), that the Gold Lion KT-77 works wonders because it is a distant relative of the EL34 Pentode, the only tube which can be strapped in Triode mode naturally, given its internal configuration. A quote from Steve Deckert (Decware):

"... [I]In a pentode such as the EL34 where the screens are not tied together internally, it is possible to wire it as a "true triode". It is the only pentode I know of that is. The other ones have internal connections on the screens that can't be changed so you end up with a ´Pseudo triode´"

Although one would think using EL34 would theoretically beat the KT-77, hands-on experience from others have testified to the contrary, making that special combination of KT-77 (a "hybrid" between the EL34 and the KT-88) the best approach short of a real Triode. The cited KT-88 is really an excellent tube in the Inspire, on its own merits (again, referring to the Triode-strapped mode), so best-of-both-worlds, as they say.

Mind you, I have NEVER heard a 45, 300B or 2A3, so I cannot judge the midrange quality in my amp relative to those others, but at least I get to use different tubes and cheaper replacements with an outstanding midrange and highs, along with some higher SPLs. With a sub crossed anywhere between 50 and 100 Hz (in my case), these also have outstanding bass. Just my $0.02, YMMV.

Other than keep improving the source side on my gear, a technologically ever-evolving field, the best upgrade after the Inspire Lp-27a and HO amp is definitely a finer set of loudspeakers, which would ultimately do justice to that amplification and sourcing setup gem.

Last edited by david45; 10-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:08 PM

david45 wrote: "What's high on the priority list is to be able to enjoy my system for late night listening sessions and to really feel like the main vocalist or solo instrument is there in the room with me, floating in between the speakers just a few feet away, trying to seduce me in a very believable manner

I get the impression that we have similar tastes and appreciate your contribution to the forum.
"

That sounds exactly as my cup of tea ... Agreed, and thanks for the kind words.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Could anybody give me the dimensions of the PSE chassis as well as the lp-27a/lp-3 preamp?

Last edited by david45; 10-21-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM

The LP-3a/LP-27a chassis is 10" wide by 8" deep
The PSE chassis is 8" wide by 17" deep
The prototype PSE chassis with 0A3 regulation is the same size but turned
sideways so it is 17" wide and 8" deep
Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Late in joining this thread and trying to catch up. How many models of amplifiers is Dennis Had building these days? Is the only way to buy through EBay? Thanks
Serge.......Seems no one here has time for your inquiry so I will try to help. Dennis Had sells his hand built amplifiers on eBay under the user name radioman731. You can contact him through his eBay account. You can also find Dennis Had Inspire amplifiers at moon-audio.com. Occasionally you can find Dennis Had Inspire amps and preamps on Audiogon. There may be other places to purchase Dennis Had amplifiers. Perhaps someone in this forum can add some insight.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
The LP-3a/LP-27a chassis is 10" wide by 8" deep
The PSE chassis is 8" wide by 17" deep
The prototype PSE chassis with 0A3 regulation is the same size but turned
sideways so it is 17" wide and 8" deep
Thanks for the information Tony! Hope you're enjoying that gorgeous amp and its 6CA7s

Last edited by david45; 10-21-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Serge.......Seems no one here has time for your inquiry so I will try to help. Dennis Had sells his hand built amplifiers on eBay under the user name radioman731. You can contact him through his eBay account. You can also find Dennis Had Inspire amplifiers at moon-audio.com. Occasionally you can find Dennis Had Inspire amps and preamps on Audiogon. There may be other places to purchase Dennis Had amplifiers. Perhaps someone in this forum can add some insight.
Thank you Dan.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post
Thanks for the information Tony! Hope you're enjoying that gorgeous amp and its 6CA7s
You're very welcome,
I have Dennis to thank for this amazing amplifier as
well as the 6CA7's.
I consider myself very fortunate to be a part of all this.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:10 PM

Lost my much appreciated Sophia Electric 274B Mesh Plate on Saturday. It just did not lit up again . Currently using my go-to rectifier for the KT-88's with my KT-77's, and the sound is not quite the same. Unfortunately, the 274B was my go-to rectifier with 6L6, 350B and KT-77. I believe I used the 274B moderately, so it is not a lasting alternative, especially for the price. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions to replace it, which may be more reliable/lasting as well as good sounding.

I've been considering the Tube Store's Preferred Series 274B / 5U4G (at one fourth the price). Another alternative would be the Psvane 274B-TII, at about the same price of the SE. Finally, a less likely good candidate, Valve Art's 274B (at a ridiculously low price). In all these, I would be missing the 'Mesh Plate' construction which is supposed to be better sounding? I also wonder if there are other spec rectifiers people have found to create synergy with our Inspire amps. Tough questions, I know ... Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: Just found this other Psvane alternative: https://www.amazon.com/PSVANE-274B-R.../dp/B00MTFH6J2, black rigid plate, no TII upgraded version, but more affortable at USD 95.00

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 10-23-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Lost my much appreciated Sophia Electric 274B Mesh Plate on Saturday. It just did not lit up again . Currently using my go-to rectifier for the KT-88's with my KT-77's, and the sound is not quite the same. Unfortunately, the 274B was my go-to rectifier with 6L6, 350B and KT-77. I believe I used the 274B moderately, so it is not a lasting alternative, especially for the price. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions to replace it, which may be more reliable/lasting as well as good sounding.

I've been considering the Tube Store's Preferred Series 274B / 5U4G (at one fourth the price). Another alternative would be the Psvane 274B-TII, at about the same price of the SE. Finally, a less likely good candidate, Valve Art's 274B (at a ridiculously low price). In all these, I would be missing the 'Mesh Plate' construction which is supposed to be better sounding? I also wonder if there are other spec rectifiers people have found to create synergy with our Inspire amps. Tough questions, I know ... Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: Just found this other Psvane alternative: https://www.amazon.com/PSVANE-274B-R.../dp/B00MTFH6J2, black rigid plate, no TII upgraded version, but more affortable at USD 95.00
MA,

Check your messages on AudioCircle.