AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Off topic

My racks are counter balanced for gravity and the earths rotation.
The 2012, Suns equator rotation reversals, already factored in, including flare ups.
7 year break in period, with payment book counterweight cartridge, included.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've got Sashas on order and have some questions about set up. This will be my first pair of Wilson speakers.

I've read all I can about the set up process. However with new Wilson speakers taking some time to break in, I have a question about how well can the set up be dialed in from the start? Is it possible to get it right even before break-in, or does speaker placement need to be tweaked after break-in?

Also, how "fool proof" and reliable is the certified set up process? Does it take the likes of a Peter McGrath to really get it right or can trained people from any dealer get it right?

The reason I am asking it that my dealer is 200 miles away. They will graciously come for initial set up, but I don't think I can reasonably ask them to drive back here for further tweaking once the speakers are properly broken in.

Thanks in advance for any advice and guidance.

Regards,

Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
My racks are counter balanced for gravity and the earths rotation.
The 2012, Suns equator rotation reversals, already factored in, including flare ups.
7 year break in period, with payment book counterweight cartridge, included.
Did you get the cryptonite option? You're nobody if you didn't get the cryptonite option.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveneumann View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've got Sashas on order and have some questions about set up. This will be my first pair of Wilson speakers.

I've read all I can about the set up process. However with new Wilson speakers taking some time to break in, I have a question about how well can the set up be dialed in from the start? Is it possible to get it right even before break-in, or does speaker placement need to be tweaked after break-in?

Also, how "fool proof" and reliable is the certified set up process? Does it take the likes of a Peter McGrath to really get it right or can trained people from any dealer get it right?

The reason I am asking it that my dealer is 200 miles away. They will graciously come for initial set up, but I don't think I can reasonably ask them to drive back here for further tweaking once the speakers are properly broken in.

Regards,

Dave
I bet that other member... uh what's his name... um, don't tell me... Oh ya! Serge (PHC1), that's it. He just might have a thing or two to say that will help get you up to speed on those incredible Sashas.

Last edited by Jesse; 01-31-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Hi,

Regards,

Dave
Welcome to AA Dave!

I am on my second set of Wilson speakers, Sophia IIs and now the Sasha's.

The Sasha's are not difficult to set up at all for a few reasons. First, they don't require a long break in period, yes you will notice a change in the first few days but after that, the changes in the sound are minor at best. Second, they come out of the crates on casters so you can "wheel" them around the room with ease. The manual describes the "voicing" to your room process in great detail.

I found that Sasha's fit into my current 14x17 room with ease without causing any problems in the bass which was a concern for me. This specific quality has been written about, Sasha's are very well behaved speakers and that makes them much easier to set up and enjoy in various listening rooms.

If you are not familiar with speaker setup, your dealer will help you find a good "starting place" but again, you can achieve that yourself after consulting the manual.

The important step is to get the upper head aligned properly with the different height spikes available depending on the height and distance of your listening position from the speakers. This will "align" the time and dispersion domains of the drivers to your listening spot. Your dealer will help with that after consulting the manual and cross-referencing the measurements taken. Not difficult at all.

After the speakers have had some time to break in, feel free to play around with the setup to fine tune them even further. Toe in, symmetry, distance from side and front walls, etc... Once you have achieved what you thing is optimal positioning, mark the floor/carpet with tape precisely and go ahead and spike your Sasha's and enjoy for many years to come.

Great choice of speakers by the way! Which color did you choose and what is the rest of your gear like?

Last edited by PHC1; 01-31-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Glad to see you made it over here Dave!

Gordon
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Hi,

Regards,

Dave
I think PHC1 said just about everything to expect and to do yourself. Part of the enjoyment of buying Wilsons is having the dealer set them up initially. You know your room and equipment better than your dealer? I had my dealer set up my WP/7's and listened to them for a day and ended up making small incremetal changes with a different spike under the WATT and change of toe in by .5" to get that final smoothness in the highs I had heard initally.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 PM

By the way Dave, Welcome!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 AM

Default Thanks All!

First, thanks to Gordon for directing me over to this site.

PHC1, thanks for the great description, and the vote of confidence in the process of set up. I can hardly wait to get them!

The speakers are Dark Titanium with Slate Grey grills. The rest of my system is: McIntosh 402 amp, McIntosh C2300 preamp, TW Acoustic Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Dynavector XX2 Mk, Cardas Golden Reference and WSS wires, Adept Response 6.

My room is a finished basement 20 X 36 X 9.

I'll post pictures once it is all up and running. Regards.

Dave