AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 05-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naderpug View Post
Hi Exsg

Thanks - I'm very happy! Your Guaneris are beautiful thing. Pairing these kinds of speakers with ARC or Mac amps

IMO the domus, grand piano, cremona and some of the other Sonus Faber high end variants maybe aren't as neutral sounding as the Amati Futura. I think the Amati Futura is the pick for those that aren't purely sold on the Sonus Faber 'house' sound and want a tad more realism and TBH they are kinda celebrated as that. However, there's no doubt they are ALL beautiful speakers in their own way - especially aesthetically.

I purchased my Amati Futura's ex-demo from the Sonus Faber distributor on the east coast for about half of the RRP. They had approximately 50 hours on them from the Melbourne Hi-Fi show. It was the right time right place thing and they needed to sell. The best deal I received for the 802D3 was about $31000. It was a tough decision and I took my time until I was certain and a deal presented itself. I hear they have held steady in price since the release of the new tradition. I'm not certain though.
Hi Naderpug,

I don't own the guarneris yet and haven't even heard it yet personally but have a rather good impression of them.

I have no doubt amatis are in a different league. Looks alone, I would prefer it over the latest ones.

Where are you located? Would it be Klappav you bought from? I know they have a demo pair; in fact they loaded it on youtube when they unpacked it.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsg View Post
Hi Naderpug,

I don't own the guarneris yet and haven't even heard it yet personally but have a rather good impression of them.

I have no doubt amatis are in a different league. Looks alone, I would prefer it over the latest ones.

Where are you located? Would it be Klappav you bought from? I know they have a demo pair; in fact they loaded it on youtube when they unpacked it.
I'm located in Perth, Western Australia and deal through Douglas Hi Fi. Dan and Kent are ace with customer service and have broad industry/supplier contacts and I preferred to do the negotiation through them.

If buying ex-demo, I would recommend you get the seller to sign a disclaimer document that the speaker has been thoroughly investigated for any faults and in perfect condition. An industry rep, preferably Sonus Faber, confirming the same is a bonus.

Its a serious bit of equipment and I've seen some shocking acts in my time...like a B&W 802D3 mated to a $300 Pioneer surround sound processor using analogue inputs only, with the young guy switching between sonus and iphone, whilst wiggling the speaker cables, with everything fully powered. I've never heard more "crunch" sounds in my life!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
1KW...A friend came over recently who owns Wilson Sasha's. He asked me to play Deep Purple's Machine Head very loud. I could see he thought it was going to trip the Strads up. Great was my joy when I saw his jaw drop to the floor. It sounded glorious in all its rawness. Rock on

When I get home on Saturday the first thing I'm going to do is play Machine Head very loud through my strads. I loved that song as a kid, don't know why I never played it. Banana
Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naderpug View Post
I'm located in Perth, Western Australia and deal through Douglas Hi Fi. Dan and Kent are ace with customer service and have broad industry/supplier contacts and I preferred to do the negotiation through them.

If buying ex-demo, I would recommend you get the seller to sign a disclaimer document that the speaker has been thoroughly investigated for any faults and in perfect condition. An industry rep, preferably Sonus Faber, confirming the same is a bonus.

Its a serious bit of equipment and I've seen some shocking acts in my time...like a B&W 802D3 mated to a $300 Pioneer surround sound processor using analogue inputs only, with the young guy switching between sonus and iphone, whilst wiggling the speaker cables, with everything fully powered. I've never heard more "crunch" sounds in my life!
Hey I am located in Perth too!

So you are the guy who bought the demo amati from Douglas. I think I spoke to Dan and he said you compared it against the 800s and bought this. He said you have a recording studio.

What are you running it with? West coast hifi is offering 20% off 800s.

I am not sure I would consider demos when it comes to cars or hifi just for the reasons you stated.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Hey I am located in Perth too!

So you are the guy who bought the demo amati from Douglas. I think I spoke to Dan and he said you compared it against the 800s and bought this. He said you have a recording studio.

What are you running it with? West coast hifi is offering 20% off 800s.

I am not sure I would consider demos when it comes to cars or hifi just for the reasons you stated.
Hahahaha small world! Yep I'm that guy

I do have a recording studio, but nothing fancy like a 24 channel mixer or anything. Most of my production and mixing is done through a Denon X1600, Ableton Live, Yamaha HS-80 monitors and other various software/hardware as required. I spend a fair amount of time working with local and sometimes international electronic music artists and tinker with my own beats here and there. These days though, I like sitting back with a wine and listening to underground sounds from around the world. I've been fortunate to have established music networks over the last 20 years and have a steady stream of musical productions arriving in my inbox. Hence the hi fi sound systems, which I use everyday to just celebrate music.

My Amati Futura's are mated to a Audio Research LS27 preamplifier, Audio Research DS450M monoblock amplifiers, Bryston BDA-3 DAC, Rega RP8 turntable, Graham Slee phono-pre and Aurelic Mini streamer for digital connections. Cabling, using XLR connections, is primarily from Chord and my speaker cable is by Dueland. This stereo system has a dark sound, exacerbated by the Amati Futura's...which I really like for easy listening.

My other system is by Manley Labs - a full valve system. I love that system because it is sprightly and has a very phat sound. Not that accurate, but by jeez its fun (sometimes we refer to it as having a club sound).

If you're on the fence, I'm happy to give you a demo and discuss anything you like. That nightmare 802D3 story I mentioned earlier happened at West Coast Hi Fi. The Midland store is set up better than the others IMO. 20% off is a good deal - but be wary of demo models if buying from them. Douglas Hi Fi are amazing for their customer service and ability to work within a budget.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:59 AM

hey that would be nice to hear your setups. How do we contact one another?

I have already bought 802d3. Did visit both their midland and cannington stores but didn't buy from there.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:08 AM

Smile

Quote:

I have already bought 802d3. Did visit both their midland and cannington stores but didn't buy from there.
Oooh nice and congratulations!

Contact Douglas HiFi and the guys there can give me your details and vice versa. I'll give them the heads up
Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Being able to send and receive PM's are one of the many benefits of being a Subscriber.

Follow this link:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 PM

Exsg

It would be nice if you can hear his set up so you can report back and let me know what you think about a tweaked Futura system.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Exsg

It would be nice if you can hear his set up so you can report back and let me know what you think about a tweaked Futura system.
Yes. Already arranged for two week's time.

Really looking forward to it. Seeing it and hearing it in the flesh!

Meanwhile, am enjoying my Saturday evening with Norah Jones.