AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Change of plans: I think I only need a streamer

I was going to suggest a Logitech Squeezebox Touch as someone suggested before me. But if google audio Cast has digital output, that might work and be even cheaper. And while on the cheaper side of things, you don’t need to spend a lot of money on digital cables. Any well-built digital cable will work fine.

Last edited by nicoff; 01-06-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM

My best and simplest streamer is my iPhone.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:42 PM

So I am really trying to get to the bottom of this, I hope that someone can answer this:

Will using chromcast connected via a toslink to my Mc DAC yield the same results as any $5000 streamer connected in the same way?

Again, I am talking about streaming only.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:31 PM

In theory, audio quality should be based on source resolution (is it 16 bit, 44.1 kHz sampling CD quality or better) and DAC sound quality. And of course everything after that.

If you are hosing digital audio around via SPDIF (Toslink or coax) or AES and use cables properly designed to do that, you should get bit perfect audio.

I use an iPad to play streamed music or CD's ripped to iTunes. That source feeds an Apple Airport Express that has a Toslink optical output that feeds the D/A in my Bryston SP2. This methodology has been tested to be bit perfect.

To get higher resolution (like from Tidal), you need hardware that can handle the format.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/...ding-explained

http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-d...dal-rules.html

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-06-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
In theory, audio quality should be based on source resolution (is it 16 bit, 44.1 kHz sampling CD quality or better) and DAC sound quality. And of course everything after that.

If you are hosing digital audio around via SPDIF (Toslink or coax) or AES and use cables properly designed to do that, you should get bit perfect audio.

I use an iPad to play streamed music or CD's ripped to iTunes. That source feeds an Apple Airport Express that has a Toslink optical output that feeds the D/A in my Bryston SP2. This methodology has been tested to be bit perfect.

To get higher resolution (like from Tidal), you need hardware that can handle the format.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/...ding-explained

http://audiophilereview.com/cd-dac-d...dal-rules.html
OK, thank you for that. I just ordered an Apple Airport Express (2hr delivery) and will do just that.
If the streaming quality equals that of my MB50, there is no reason for me to keep the MB50.
If I understand it correctly, I do lose the ability to play Hi-Res files and MQA by using this method.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
So I am really trying to get to the bottom of this, I hope that someone can answer this:

Will using chromcast connected via a toslink to my Mc DAC yield the same results as any $5000 streamer connected in the same way?

Again, I am talking about streaming only.
Digital streaming audio quality is subjective. You should try the $35 Chromecast and A/B to the McIntosh MB50 and report back your findings using Tidal.

I'm curious.
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 PM

My 3 systems use different streamers and DACs:
- Oppo 105D (Tidal)
- Mac Mini & Oppo 205 (Audirvana+, Roon)
- Intel Nuc & Marantz NA8005 (JRiver, Roon)

I know they are all cheap stuff, but I am not a believer of dedicated expensive streamers.

Last edited by SAPHANA; 01-06-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 AM

See if you can find a dealer that still has an Auralic Aries Mini in stock or look for a used one. Far superior in my testing to the Node 2 with much better software. It is not discontinued but Auralic has temporarily stopped production of it and the standard Aries until they catch up on the demand and pre-orders for their new G2 series products. It has a built in DAC just to have one though to me not great sounding. Also allows for adding an internal HD for onboard storage. They are in high demand on the used market and usually don't last more than a day or two at most.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
See if you can find a dealer that still has an Auralic Aries Mini in stock or look for a used one. Far superior in my testing to the Node 2 with much better software. It is not discontinued but Auralic has temporarily stopped production of it and the standard Aries until they catch up on the demand and pre-orders for their new G2 series products. It has a built in DAC just to have one though to me not great sounding. Also allows for adding an internal HD for onboard storage. They are in high demand on the used market and usually don't last more than a day or two at most.
Thank you Jack.
Are you able to stream Spotify to the Aries Mini? I was also considering its larger sibling, the Auraluc Aries, which I know can stream Spotify, but is also much more expensive.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
OK, thank you for that. I just ordered an Apple Airport Express (2hr delivery) and will do just that.
If the streaming quality equals that of my MB50, there is no reason for me to keep the MB50.
If I understand it correctly, I do lose the ability to play Hi-Res files and MQA by using this method.
Be aware you need a Female TOSlink/Male 1/8" Plug adapter to go out of the 1/8" jack on the back of the Airport Express.

I got a standard Toslink cable and an adapter from Blue Jeans Cable.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...udio/index.htm

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/adapters/index.htm

Setting up the Airport Express was a bit frustrating, but once I got it going it has been pretty stable. If power goes out, you might need to reset it, I did and it takes a bit of time to re-boot. Other than that, it's inexpensive and sounds good IMO. Way better than the analog line out of the iPad.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-07-2018 at 11:19 AM.