AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 PM

I'm a little late to the party here but something to think about if the JL or SVS don't work out....

A friend who has been into audio for 40 years has Salon2's in his system....he went through an number of subs and finally landed at the B&W DB1. I have F208's and he kept encouraging me to try a sub....saying it would be a life changer. I basically ignored him, as I had what I thought was good bass with the 208's in my room. The bug bit me finally and I considered many options including dual JL's or REL's........I'm pretty limited on space and decided the dual route wouldn't work. I then came very close to the 12" revel that matches the Performa3 line.....a great sounding sub I'm sure but terrible integration controls. They dropped the ball on this one I'm afraid.

I had an opportunity to get a DB1.......and wow.....what a wonderful piece. It has dual 12" drivers, wonderful build quality and cosmetics, and is a cinch to set up. You have access to the controls on the front of the sub, plus can hook it up to a simple windows based computer program for further control, plus it comes with a microphone for room equalization which is also very simple. Most importantly it integrates perfectly and sounds just wonderful. Very fast and musical. It's the only part of my system that I have absolutely no desire to even think about anything else. It is a shame this sub doesn't get more attention....hard to beat IMO.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but do frequently listen to classical and big symphonic works......and frankly this is where I get the most enjoyment out of the sub. I don't ever see being without one. Now if I can just upgrade these 208's to Salon2's!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:49 PM

No doubt the B&W is a quality piece. The JL has been very easy to integrate though I do wish all these deices included the high pass leg.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:00 AM

We measured and adjusted the SVS using SMAART (v7) but we just couldn't get it to a place where it had the sort of definition we heard with the JLA. It simply didn't match up with the Revels. On the plus side the user interface is terrific and it is well finished but once you run DARO on the JL, you're done so a lot of what is attractive about the neat remote capabilities of the SVS' app simply isn't required with the JL. It would be nice to have remote level on the F113v2 but it's not a feature you'd swap for a different sub given the sonic qualities the JLA .

My experiment is complete...for now!
Old 12-27-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
We measured and adjusted the SVS using SMAART (v7) but we just couldn't get it to a place where it had the sort of definition we heard with the JLA. It simply didn't match up with the Revels. On the plus side the user interface is terrific and it is well finished but once you run DARO on the JL, you're done so a lot of what is attractive about the neat remote capabilities of the SVS' app simply isn't required with the JL. It would be nice to have remote level on the F113v2 but it's not a feature you'd swap for a different sub given the sonic qualities the JLA .

My experiment is complete...for now!
Post pics of the set up!!! Congrats on dialing in the sub-bass!
Old 12-28-2016, 03:21 PM

There's not much to see, just a box in the corner, but I'll put one up tonight for my pal Pio anyway !
Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 AM

For music listening I run my system in stereo without a sub but I love the the bottom end a sub adds to movies - Getting the sub integrated properly is always the challenge - My solution last year was to put the sub on a riser - This cleared up a lot of the "mud" and still retained the starship rumble - When I took my system down for this years cleaning & dusting I put it back together without the sub to see the difference - Over a few weeks I played around with speaker position using the stereophile set up discs - I moved the speakers forward and backward, changed the angle ... all the tweaks - One afternoon after a lot of blue tape on the carpet I hit a sweet spot ... a really sweet one - That three dimensional zone with perfect balance - Put the speakers back on their spikes and ran the McIntosh MX150 room correction (Hit 99%) and I am now subless

My room is on the smaller side (16 wide 9 ceiling and 20 long) so I don't have a lot of air to move - I also am in the Miles Davis camp of "it's not the notes but the space between the notes that matter" - That said the Salon 2 speaker's six 10" speakers give me all I want for defined musical bass and enough rumble for movies

Of course next year I will most likely want a JL sub but that's the best part about this hobby ........... there is always something new to try

Last edited by all2ears; 01-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug760 View Post
I went with a pair of JL Audio F113 subs on Ivan's sub stands. I just need to experiment with plugging the port now but a bit hesitant as I may need to pull the bottom plinth off to do so.

Doug:

I just set up my f113's and CR-1 with my Salon 2's. I'm reading Barry Ober's white paper on subs and see that he suggest plugging the port. I also read that you were considering this as well. Did you ever do this or find a source for a pre-measured port plug? I suppose I could make my own plug if the port diameter is listed in the user manual.

Anyway, would love to know where you are in your sub integration journey.

Cheers,

Steve
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 01-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Doug:

I just set up my f113's and CR-1 with my Salon 2's. I'm reading Barry Ober's white paper on subs and see that he suggest plugging the port. I also read that you were considering this as well. Did you ever do this or find a source for a pre-measured port plug? I suppose I could make my own plug if the port diameter is listed in the user manual.

Cheers,

Steve
Have you settled on your settings. What have you found so far? Plugging the ports shouldn't be necessary as you have a real (and high quality)crossover in place. For those of us skinflints trying to make do without, plugs might be a useful option. Attending your report!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Have you settled on your settings. What have you found so far? Plugging the ports shouldn't be necessary as you have a real (and high quality)crossover in place. For those of us skinflints trying to make do without, plugs might be a useful option. Attending your report!

Right now at 80hz with no damping or phase adjustment. When I receive the test cd I will likely play with the phase control to get the timing just right.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 01-21-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Doug:

Cheers,

Steve
Steve,
Looks like it's time to update your gear tags/signature line.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature