AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 AM

Default A preamp to match Gryphon Mephisto

Looking for A preamp to match Gryphon Mephisto.
I have been using ARC Ref40 with Gryphon Mephisto for a few years. Always addicted to tube somewhere in the chain. During 5 years in service of Ref40 I have experienced sound quality to Go up and down according to tubes usage. This is what I want to avoid Now, I have less time, I want something to sound consistently good for many Years to come. Next preamp has to be solid state that's the goal. I like the design of ARC Ref6, the Ref10 replacement must be really good, but hey it will come with So many tubes.

A few years back, I bring Gryphon Pandora home to pair with Mephisto, the great disadvantage was that it required two of same power cords, I had in pair only RSA HZ at that time. Compared to ARC Ref40 Pandora was leaner and thinner in the midband Bass was stronger and tighter. With such a solid state sounding midband I returned to Ref40 in a short time.

Now time for new preamp is coming. Based on past experience with Pandora A few years back, I was looking for something else this time. I should have been Soulution 725. But it doesn't have 3 XLR and one of which to be theater bypass mode. Then the next in mind are Burmester 808Mk5 or 077 with EXT PS. But due to unusual Electrical characteristic of Burmester power amp (low input Z, very high gain) , I doubt its preamp will work well with my Mephisto. Also Burmester 077 has unusually high Output Z for solid state device. But still, I would love to hear them with Mephisto.

Thinking more carefully, there is no other preamp that match better to Mephisto than the Pandora , I give It one more chance, this time my system is in a more ultimate setup than the last time. The only PC I have in pair this time is Kubala Sosna Elation. This time I heard a very Detailed and very dynamic sound. But it was still light and lean. Voice or leading saxophone didn't pop from other mix. Midband was still light. Although everything else seems to be perfect. But with better experience, I kept it playing. And oh man, in about 1 hour, the sound has changed so much, once fully warmed up, Pandora sound was so Good. So perfect. It had the same sound as Mephisto this time, coherent, dynamic and musical. No such solid state sounding anymore. Mid band or image of singer was still small compared to Ref40, but swapping PC at dac from Transparent Opus PC to PAD 25 Anniversary fixed this immediately at slight expense of transparency.
What I missed in the last few years was that I didn't give it enough time to warm up. Unlike Moon, Levinson or Pass preamp, the Pandora went completely cold in standby mode. So It Will need 45-60 minutes every time to warm up.
So far it is the best solid state preamp I have heard. I had 326s, P8, Xp20 in my system before. Oh the XS Pre was very good sounding too, but a lot more hiss noise Coming out of tweeter. Louder than Ref40 even and it has quite poor control interface.
A few complains on Pandora, there is no direct command to dim the display, which is not very bright at all however, or direct command to specific input. Making Programming of Logitech Harmony for movie scene impossible. Also the Pandora remote code are same as my Marantz AV8802a processor in the same system.
Should I still have try the Burmester with Pandora sounding as perfect as this ?

Toga
Old 07-18-2016, 04:38 AM

Maybe contact gryphon direct at this level they might do something specifically for you!!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Robert Koda K-15EX. I've heard the K-10 but the K-15EX is supposed to be unreal.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:20 PM

Toga, tried to send you a PM but it was undeliverable.

Last edited by cmarin; 07-18-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:36 PM

Cmarin,

If I remember, I thought you had a k15. Looks like you opted for the Kondo...very nice. I haven't heard it but I'm sure it lives up to its reputation.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:47 PM

maybe a Accuphase C-3850, arguably the most reliable pre-amp out there.

But all depends on the synergy with the Gryphon Amp !

The Ayre KXR twenty might be a ggod option also with loads of balanced inputs.

Soulution and Spectral also have great pre-amps, but I only heard them with matching power amps, not sure how they perform with a Gryphon amp.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
maybe a Accuphase C-3850, arguably the most reliable pre-amp out there.

But all depends on the synergy with the Gryphon Amp !

The Ayre KXR twenty might be a ggod option also with loads of balanced inputs.

Soulution and Spectral also have great pre-amps, but I only heard them with matching power amps, not sure how they perform with a Gryphon amp.
The Ayre KXR Twenty is on my shortlist as well. I've heard it with my dealer paired with Rockport speakers and really liked what I heard.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Cmarin, If I remember, I thought you had a k15. Looks like you opted for the Kondo...very nice. I haven't heard it but I'm sure it lives up to its reputation.
Hi Super Dave, Thanks. The Kondos are just reaching the 300 hour break-in point and they are special. The K15 is very special as well. Haven't heard the K15EX myself, but indications are that it's a significant improvement over the K15 especially in the upper frequencies. And best of all, the K15 can be upgraded to K15EX.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 PM

Hello friends,
To keep it short. My preamp will have to be
1. very musical ( no need to be the best in this world ), powerful, clarity, transparency.
2. 2 XLR + 1 XLR Theater Bypass are mandatory, few extra RCA or XLR in are welcomed.
3. convenient to use. remote control please.
4. maintenance free.
XS Pre, I love the sound, but I hate the way its software operate. All of Pass I mean
KX-R 20, not one in my country.
Soulution 725, not meet input requirement
Ayon Spheris 3 , not meet input requirement.. and there are tubes.
C3850 ?? hmmm interesting. But I have tried C3800 before and I Kept Ref40 at that time.

I have visited Burmester room in Audio show a few times, and I have always impressed. Last year was 808 MK5 driving 909 MK5+ Magico M Project. I used to
have 077single+911MK3+Magico Q3 in my room too and it was unforgettable. I didn't
purchase them because once I connected Ref40+Moon W7M back in the system, I felt
more relaxed. Burmester set was too energetic when compared.
When 6550c in Ref40 got weaker and so is the bass and power. I am bored of this phenomena. So yes solidstate this time please.
Gryphona Pandora is a natural choice for me because it is designed to match my power amp. and it sound so perfectly natural and pure. It let me hear the source in
the purest way in my experience.
But as I mentioned earlier. Should I try Burmester 808 MK5 or 077 first. They are
quite rare. Oh the 808MK5 doesn't sound its best when use remote control mode. It must be in manual mode that it shines. Personally I like 077 more due its more modern software. easier to operate.

Toga
Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
Toga, tried to send you a PM but it was undeliverable.
Thanks cmarin, you may try again. Should be fine now.
Toga