AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 02-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvp View Post
Lesnik, congratulation for the DG-38 unit and also for the DP-550 player!
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
1) Connect the DP-550 to the DG-38 via the H-link. It makes no sense to connect it between the pre and power amp especially since you have an Accuphase player with H-link. Further, my experience was that even ordinary ethernet cables (that costed €2) were significantly better than XLR cables costing €200-€300.
I've connected DG-38 through HS-Link meanwhile with simple LAN cable and ordered on the advice of friends Acoustic Revive LAN cable. I've being told that this one sounding even better that original Accuphase HS-Link. Don't know. Waiting to receive and to try.

I tried to connect XLR output of DG to preamp. Result was no good. HS-Link back to DP-550 and XLR from DP to preamp many times better. So connect DG between preamp and power most probably the last option.

Quote:
When set-up properly the DG-38 should bring a significant improvement to the sound. I have found the manual of the DG-38 very unclear, and as such it took me a rather long time to do things right. Let me know if you have any problems, I still have a copy of the DG-38 manual and some notes so I should be able to help.
Manual is really complicated book. But I think it is complicated as device itself. Will be happy to receive your notes!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
Ok, so the three levels are the same, try the light (or mid) and then manual EQ to further work were necessary, maybe also in your case that would do the trick
(You have set auto level for the output right?)
You mean auto level in configuration? Not. Will try. Thanks a lot!
Why I should set auto level?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
P.S. With the 38 can you work the EQ curve on the fly by remote (so work in the listening position with music playing)? Because that is for me mandatory to really be able to properly set the EQ. If not, I would keep the 38 near the listening position. With the G-18 in my vintage system I did exactly that, with the aid of 7.5 meters XLR cables
Unfortunately DG-38 don't have ability to work with EQ with remote and even don't have hard buttons as 48 and 58.
But since I use it in digital domain through HS-Link I will try to use it in listening position with long LAN cable
Old 02-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Lesnik, when following the "Voicing Procedure B” set-up procedure in the DG-38 manual you need to pay attention to the 4th step, i.e. the step named “Start auto compensation”. Immediately after finishing this step you need to save the measurements with an appropriate name. This crucial step is poorly implemented in the DG-38 (and also not very clearly described in the manual). Instead of asking you to save the measurements you have just performed, the DG-38 unit is warning you that these measurements are not saved… If you save these measurements with an appropriate name, and in the following step (i.e. step 5 in the manual) you make sure that you upload the correct reference curve (i.e. the measurements performed at step 4), the set-up procedure becomes a piece of cake.

I should also say that before running step 6 in the DG-38 manual (i.e. “Start auto compensation”) I was always altering a bit the reference curve by ironing out the peaks and valleys in the bass region (+/- 3dBs at most). Of course, once you are done do not forget to save the results, i.e. finish step 9 in the manual. (It might be a good idea to save in the DG-38 memory both the reference curve and the associated corrected curve - as a back-up in case you screw things up later.)

In conclusion, here are the main steps:

1) Measure with the target curve set to flat. Then, save measurements as a reference curve.
2) Upload the reference curve measured at step 1.
3) Start auto compensation.
4) Save the corrected curve to memory.
5) If needed use the equaliser function to further tailor the sound to your liking.(The voicing and equaliser functions are meant to be used together, so there is no harm in using the equaliser.)

Success!

Last edited by nvp; 06-22-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnik View Post
You mean auto level in configuration? Not. Will try. Thanks a lot! Why I should set auto level?
Yes. You should set auto level because during voicing it can happen that some frequencies are raised and if the total level is not lowered you have clipping of those frequencies. In my case for example, during all the voicing I've done with various speakers I had always an auto level between -7.5 and -4 dB. (Incidetally -thanks Martin- this is the reason that the reference 0dB in DG unit is hotter that other Accuphase unit. If not, a 'voiced' DG would sound lower that normal). Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-18-2016, 06:56 PM

Nvp Regarding generally poor explanation of DG units by Accuphase I completely agree! Both in manuals and in other official sources and material.

I find a bit strange that one that gives Accuphase the money for a DG (a lot) have to rely on forums to properly setup and use the unit. Even some official shops barely scratch the surface of a proper DG installation.

Accuphase should at least provide a manual at the level for example of a good car manual, where everything regarding functions is explained sufficiently clearly (sometimes even too much for trivial matters, in my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

Last edited by Mattia; 02-19-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:03 PM

Thanks to all for inputs!! It is very important. I will continue to raise my skills and will keep you updated.

Just listened to AYA Authentic Audio Check. System sounding amazing!
Still not perfect, but very very good. I'm once more very impressed with a speakers. They are able to reproduce any existing sound. SOmetimes I cant believe what I hear.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I will continue to raise my skills and will keep you updated.
Good luck and enjoy your DG-38.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM

I've got interesting tip that did not explained in manual--"Also one word of caution, after you turn it off, give it at least 2 minutes before you turn it back on. It need time to log off, like a computer."
Old 03-01-2016, 06:05 PM

May be somebody know the answer?
According to manual DG-38 should work with DSD signal through HS-Link.
It is work, but on return DP-550 showing 176.4 kHz. What as I understand is not DSD signal
What is wrong?