AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-14-2020, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up Back to Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Bill...I hope not! I can tell you, the setup of this processor (or any of these processors) can be a bit of a daunting task. But once completed it's sit back and enjoy. I never think about all of those ins and outs anymore....though this thread did have me looking through my manual a little once again.

I did run the HDMI video out directly to my Sony 4K TV directly after a time, because there were those who said the MX120 wasn't "truly 4K compliant" in this respect. So I ran the Oppo video output directly to the TV "just in case' I was maybe losing a bit of quality. But to be very honest, I could tell little, if any difference. I could probably go back to my initial setup and be just fine-it's so good to begin with...

I run my audio signals from the Oppo (Front, Center, Right, Sub, left and right surrounds) directly to the MX120's discrete audio inputs. And once again, the MX120 will support a discrete 7.1 setup.

I too considered buying a cheaper, lesser brand (after all, it's only a bedroom system!); but a voice inside me told me that I'd be sorry down the road if I didn't go with McIntosh.

I'm glad I did.
Pete..... Although I'm trying to keep an open mind, it's nice to read something positive about a Mac MX-XXX device again. Once again, it's the points -- and the counterpoints -- that make these threads interesting to me.

Take good care back home!

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-14-2020, 08:22 PM
Blown & Injected

I'm biased as I was a sales rep for Integra in the 2000s and still have friends there. I've run Integra for HT soley since the DTR-9.1 was launched. Performance wise - I'll put their gear up against anyones in the category. I'm 5.1.4 Atmos here - it's downright incredible.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
I'm biased as I was a sales rep for Integra in the 2000s and still have friends there. I've run Integra for HT soley since the DTR-9.1 was launched. Performance wise - I'll put their gear up against anyones in the category. I'm 5.1.4 Atmos here - it's downright incredible.
A great machine in its time.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:58 PM

Default What is 7.1.2 ?

Quote:
"5.1.4 system configuration (five listener-level speakers, one subwoofer, and four overhead speakers) over a 7.1.2 design for the best object imaging and panning. 'You need to have four Atmos speakers overhead to move the sound around.'"

Judging by the excerpt (above), that must really be some kind of a home theater (HT) setup you have there, damacman...but what does "...over a 7.1.2 design..." mean?

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
"5.1.4 system configuration (five listener-level speakers, one subwoofer, and four overhead speakers) over a 7.1.2 design for the best object imaging and panning. 'You need to have four Atmos speakers overhead to move the sound around.'"

Judging by the excerpt (above), that must really be some kind of a home theater (HT) setup you have there, damacman...but what does "...over a 7.1.2 design..." mean?
Not sure, I didn't type that. Maybe the author meant that 4 overhead speakers and no rear surround speakers was superior to 2 overheads and rear surrounds. Many reviewers today describe Atmos systems and media as the Atmos bubble. I have to concur.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:25 PM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
A great machine in its time.
I sold a bunch of them. So many that Integra gave me a jacket for it. At the time, the only AVP we offered was in the Integra Research family.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:14 PM

Question Modular Design and Audio Kits?

I got some great information about midrange and high-end preamp processors -- from another AAF thread -- so I thought it would be a good idea to bring the topic to a thread started to discuss preamp/control centers/processors.

As I was reading up on some of the brands that were mentioned in said thread, I came across the NAD M17 V2 "Home Theater Preamp/Processor." The thing about this unit that really caught my eye was a reference to "NAD's Modular Design Construction." Please forgive me if this is an established concept, but I've never heard of such a thing...so I'd like to ask the board about brands that have gone this direction. I mean, considering the pace of technology, this seems like a pretty logical design concept. In short, are there other A/V/D equipment brands that have adopted this idea?

I'd also like to ask if anyone has any thoughts on the "kit" concept? Sorry, once again, if I seem like an imbecile, but there are people out there putting together their own high-quality audio equipment?

Last edited by 70sMac; 08-15-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 08-15-2020, 12:11 AM
Blown & Injected

Proceed was one of the pioneers of this modular strategy - even the transport on their DVD player was upgradable. They and Integra found out the hard way that "future proof" wasn't possible.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Proceed was one of the pioneers of this modular strategy - even the transport on their DVD player was upgradable. They and Integra found out the hard way that "future proof" wasn't possible.
Add Meridian and Theta to the list.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:27 PM

Is there a consensus as to what the best processor is for 2 channel audio?

I ask because I am trying to reduce the total number of boxes in the house in order to gain a few points with management.