AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 02-08-2018, 08:51 PM

Default So long CD, it was good to know you...

Very sad state of affairs with physical media. Best Buy to stop selling CD and Target is to follow. I have noticed I can not find many of the CDs I wanted to buy from even Amazon. CD sales were down again 18%...

Afraid it is only a matter of time before they all but disappear other than the boutique stores carrying perhaps some SACD and XRCD. It was good to know you CD.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Horrible news! I’m sure places like elusive disc and musicdirect are loving this news though
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:53 PM

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/bes...3fNLi8Ny6UYhK/
Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Hardly found any CDs to buy at Best Buy though... not surprised at all.

I have 10k+ CDs, enough already. For new albums, I have Tidal.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 PM

The death of the CD has been in the works for a few years now. Streaming has replaced both CD and purchased downloads as the format of choice for the masses.

In the past I used Rhapsody,MOG and Spotify to find new music then I would purchase the better releases on CD from Amazon. I wanted to own my music and also have a physical back-up. With Tidal the SQ is so good I unconciosuly stopped purchasing CD's last year. When I looked back at my Amazon account I see that I purchased 2 discs in 2017 (not sure why I even ordered one of them).

The number of CD's that I own actually went down last year as I culled the ones I no longer listen to off my server(s) and gave away the disc to eliminate clutter.

I still plan on purchasing some discs, the occasional Hi Rez release and some MQA files. That said most of my content will be tagged and streamed from Tidal via Roon. If Tidal should go under I will see which CD quality Roon might choose to replace it.

Default So long CD, it was good to know you...

Not very worried about new CD’s, as most have horrible DR and are recorded very loud too.

I typically buy old CD’s with unique masterings, and new SACD’s.
Merry Christmas to all

The CD selection at Best Buy has been dismal for over 12 years. I stopped buying CD's at Best Buy that many years ago. All of my CD purchases are from Amazon. I doubt that CD source will be drying up any time soon.

Streaming is OK, but I also enjoy owning the physical media. I will continue to buy CD's as long as I can. They aren't going away nearly as quick as the pundits predict. I heard all of this same crap when the death of vinyl was being predicted.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 PM

Best Buy no phasing our cds gets a shrug from me - I don’t know if I’ve ever even bought one there - they were never a quality source for music. However I do find myself buying fewer and fewer CDs in general. When I find new music I like via reviews, Tidal or Qobuz, my first step is to see if a quality download is available, (vinyl record if it’s older music) and then look for a disc only if there’s no cd-quality or hi res download. I prefer having the files, but also prefer instant gratification and not having to deal with recycling jewel boxes and storing CDs in the garage.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The CD selection at Best Buy has been dismal for over 12 years. I stopped buying CD's at Best Buy that many years ago. All of my CD purchases are from Amazon. I doubt that CD source will be drying up any time soon.

Streaming is OK, but I also enjoy owning the physical media. I will continue to buy CD's as long as I can. They aren't going away nearly as quick as the pundits predict. I heard all of this same crap when the death of vinyl was being predicted.

This is a great post. In fact it seems that Vinyl has come back with a vengeance.
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:55 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

There's something to be said about actually owning something that's not in the form of invisible 1s and 0s. Our cable and internet service is off again today due to yet another fiber optic cable being cut in our area. This is third or fourth all-day outage in the last couple of months. Fortunately, I have a closet full of CD's and a NAS full of downloads so all is well. I actually took a CD out of the case earlier and played it start to finish. It was a very enjoyable experience.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.