AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Default Pass XP-10 vs. XP-20

I've had an XP-10 in my system for about a week and have felt that I would like a touch more warmth. I also felt that the deepest bass may be a bit restrained and the sound stage perhaps a bit smaller that I have heard with other preamps in my room (but not with my Pass amp).

My dealer thinks the XP-20 will address all these issues, and that the XP-20 will have a sweeter top end than the XP-10.

Can any Pass users comment on the differences you have experienced between the XP-10 and XP-20? I need to figure out if the XP-20 is worth the additional expense.

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkj View Post
I've had an XP-10 in my system for about a week and have felt that I would like a touch more warmth. I also felt that the deepest bass may be a bit restrained and the sound stage perhaps a bit smaller that I have heard with other preamps in my room (but not with my Pass amp).

My dealer thinks the XP-20 will address all these issues, and that the XP-20 will have a sweeter top end than the XP-10.

Can any Pass users comment on the differences you have experienced between the XP-10 and XP-20? I need to figure out if the XP-20 is worth the additional expense.

Thanks.
If I could make a suggestion, it would be to go with an ARC REF 5 SE. There are other tube pre options as well. From memory of my listening session, I just don't think the XP-20 will give you "warmth". Aesthetix, the new Zesto preamp and many other tube preamps might be the ticket. I know the Pass amp/ARC preamp combo is very good.

"If you are looking for a warmer and more forgiving sound, you can also find some tube preamps that offer this kind of coloration."
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...wer-amplifier/
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

Hi Dave,

I think you need to move to the the XP-30 if you are looking for the warmer side of neutral.

XP-10 Pass Labs XP-10 linestage Review - Equipment Reviews - Dagogo

XP-20 Pass Labs XP-20 preamplifier Review - Equipment Reviews - Dagogo

XP-30 Pass Labs XP-30 preamplifier Review - Equipment Reviews - Dagogo

For me, the XP-30 is superb.

Last edited by joeinid; 12-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have remembered to specify a budget.

The XP-30 and Ref 5SE are out of range for me - even the the XP-20 is pushing things a bit. I auditioned an ARC LS-27 and liked it but that was with an MC-452 before I purchased the X250.5, I suspect it would work well with the Pass and the REF 5 suggestion backs that thought up. The other pre I tested was a friends W4S STP-SE which was surprisingly close to the LS-27 as far as tone. I may have to ask him to dismember his system again so I can try it with the X250.5. Oh the budget - prefer to stay less than 5K, but could stretch to 6.5 if pushed.

Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkj View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have remembered to specify a budget.

The XP-30 and Ref 5SE are out of range for me - even the the XP-20 is pushing things a bit. I auditioned an ARC LS-27 and liked it but that was with an MC-452 before I purchased the X250.5, I suspect it would work well with the Pass and the REF 5 suggestion backs that thought up. The other pre I tested was a friends W4S STP-SE which was surprisingly close to the LS-27 as far as tone. I may have to ask him to dismember his system again so I can try it with the X250.5. Oh the budget - prefer to stay less than 5K, but could stretch to 6.5 if pushed.

Thanks again.
Aesthetix or the new Zesto preamp are ones to look at in that range. The PrimaLuna Dialogue three perhaps. Another one would be the Cary SLP-05. There is an ARC REF 3 for sale on Audiogon right now that's in your price range as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM

In the spirit of honesty, I had an XP-20 with my X600.5's and was underwhelmed...
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 AM

I've heard good things about the zesto but it doesn't have the ability to do a true ht bypass which I need, can anyone comment on this as I have the xp20 andb100.5,s in my home for audition right now, I was also considering the Ayon Triton mono,s to mate with ss xp 20
Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugisland View Post
I've heard good things about the zesto but it doesn't have the ability to do a true ht bypass which I need, can anyone comment on this as I have the xp20 andb100.5,s in my home for audition right now, I was also considering the Ayon Triton mono,s to mate with ss xp 20
I was under the impression that the Zesto Leto did in fact have H/T pass through. No ????
Old 12-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP View Post

I was under the impression that the Zesto Leto did in fact have H/T pass through. No ????
Sounds like it does to me.

Posted by: Robert Harley in the avguide, June 11th, 2012

Following the great success of the Andros phonostage, Zesto Audio debuted at Newport its Leto linestage. The all-tubed unit is based on a true balanced topology with transformer-coupled inputs and outputs. Two balanced and three single-ended inputs are provided, one of them with a “theater bypass” function. The front panel offers a balance control as well as a mono switch. The Leto uses two tubes per channel, the 12AU7 and 12AX7. This $7500 unit is handmade in the USA. The sound from the system, which included TAD CR-1 loudspeakers connected with WyWires cabling, was highly present, warm, and rich with great density of tone color.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Sounds like it does to me.

Posted by: Robert Harley in the avguide, June 11th, 2012

Following the great success of the Andros phonostage, Zesto Audio debuted at Newport its Leto linestage. The all-tubed unit is based on a true balanced topology with transformer-coupled inputs and outputs. Two balanced and three single-ended inputs are provided, one of them with a “theater bypass” function. The front panel offers a balance control as well as a mono switch. The Leto uses two tubes per channel, the 12AU7 and 12AX7. This $7500 unit is handmade in the USA. The sound from the system, which included TAD CR-1 loudspeakers connected with WyWires cabling, was highly present, warm, and rich with great density of tone color.
That's what I like to read