AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:03 PM

"Yes, my point is, if I am going to mainly use this device for streaming, does it make sense to spend thousands"?

My question back is why did you decide to spend many more thousands on mono-block amps and a tube preamp for your 2-channel listening? I'm sure you could have spent quite a bit less and still experienced excellent sound quality. My point is, why all of a sudden become "practical" on what will be one of your main sources of 2-channel audio? I don't think the importance of source components in a system should be taken lightly and I believe they should be on par with the rest of the components in your system. I'd much rather "overspend" on a source component than on overhyped cables and other tweaks.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Yes, my point is, if I am going to mainly use this device for streaming, does it make sense to spend thousands?
You can but you don't need to. You can get SOTA performance with a Sonore microRendu or ultaRendu. Just ask Chris Conaker of Computer Audiophile or Michael Lavorgna of Audiostream.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
All that aside, the Airport Express should not even be a consideration for the OP's audio system, in my opinion. I wouldn't place a Kia Optima in the middle of my Corvette collection.
If you want to spend more on aesthetics, that's fine. If bit perfect 16/44.1 audio is good enough for you, the Airport Express does that.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/air...ality-2014.htm

It has been pointed out that the Airport Express is not bit perfect beyond CD spec (16/44.1). If you are streaming higher resolution audio, you need other hardware.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...Still-Limited/

I would like to do double blind listening tests with other hardware options that are level matched. Seriously curious to hear what the differences are and find out why they exist.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner View Post
I think the Sonos units are rock solid although they don’t do high resolution
+1 Agree.

We switched to Sonos after using Olive earlier.
Sonos just works, either through their own wifi mesh or wired ethernet. I use both.

Can stream from all sources, Spotify, Tidal, etc. You can "scrobble" through Last.fm for something similar to Roon (I have only dabbled with this).

Standard Redbook (CD), no MQA or hi-rez.

Depending on your appetite for networking and software interactions, there is a wide range of solutions out there. How important are the new formats to you (i.e. MQA and hi-rez)? If critical, start there.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-09-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Hi-res option would be the Bluesound Node2 streaming Tidal.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 PM

OP, what did you choose?
Old 01-27-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
OP, what did you choose?
What a long journey.....
I ended up with an Aurender N100H, I received it last night so started experimenting with it. Beautiful so far.

I stream Tidal and will soon connect my Hi-Res NAS to it.
The only problem I have had so far is using AirPlay to play Spotify on it. It connects and plays well but the next time I turn it on, Spotify can not find it. Not sure how to handle yet, I spend a considerable amount of time listening to Spotify.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
If you want to spend more on aesthetics, that's fine. If bit perfect 16/44.1 audio is good enough for you, the Airport Express does that.
Agree. To improve system appearance without spending too much money, a few years back I ordered a Schiit Gungnir DAC to replace an Airport express for streaming 16/44.1. Heard no difference. Consequently, I returned the Gungnir.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 AM

I've AURALiC Aries Mini over year and very satisfied with.
Excellent sound, excellent value per money, excellent soft and excellent service provided by owner Mr.Xuang Wang.

If You have good external DAC - the Mini unbeatable choice here.