AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I had planned to try setting up the preamp this morning, but have been on the phone all morning and into afternoon dealing first with a scammer who claimed my iMac had been hacked and wanted $700 in iTune cards then with Apple tech who undid the stuff the scammer had installed.

The most annoying part of the preamp setup is an instruction to rotate the knob until you come up with the name or letter you want then select it, with no information about how to select it. Then there's the photo of a remote like the one I use with my C-5xeMP and a notation that the bottom area controls the integrated in a manual supposedly devoted to the KX-5/20.

When I finish with the computer scam, I'll retry the preamp which, after a night without power, is sitting in standby. I'm on hold waiting to learn if I can cancel the iTune cards or need to spend them.

db
Yeah, there's no "confirmation" push of a button. Once you dial in the name you want, that's it. And the input is activated once you dial away from "Off." And yes, the lower-section controls on the metal remote work for the KX-5 (just as it does with the K-5). They need a professional proofreader to review their manuals as they're being shipped out. I'm glad it was ergonomics and you didn't get a lemon.

My listening impressions are like yours. I'm also finding that the KX-5 throws out a bigger scale soundstage. Not necessarily wider at this point of break-in, but images are larger as well as more delineated--I'm hearing a bunch of different things happening, but they're all staying within their lanes, so to speak, in the music.

Last edited by will; 08-16-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:30 PM

I talked with Mike at Ayre today about my plan for breaking-in the KX-5/20 by running the Sony HAP 24/7 into the input I plan to use for the C-5xeMP. He said that will work, but the most critical break-in is of the volume control, and that the level should be set at the highest setting I propose to use. But his general advice was don't worry about breaking it in, just enjoy it. And it does sound superb right out of the box.

db
Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I talked with Mike at Ayre today about my plan for breaking-in the KX-5/20 by running the Sony HAP 24/7 into the input I plan to use for the C-5xeMP. He said that will work, but the most critical break-in is of the volume control, and that the level should be set at the highest setting I propose to use. But his general advice was don't worry about breaking it in, just enjoy it. And it does sound superb right out of the box.

db
I spoke to Alex Brinkman (when he was there) and he told me that each volume setting uses a different resistor that moves into place and each one needs to get broken in.

I typically use certain sound level settings down low or when I have the desire to crank it up. The bottom line is it does sound superb out of the box but after breaking in which could take 400 plus hours it really did blossom at least in my system.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:36 PM

I'm not going to sweat about break-in. As already said, it has sounded great out of the box, and I can hear it opening up already. I like the "natural" process where I get that eureka moment from time to time, when you suddenly realize the improvement jump.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:15 PM

The KX-5 Twenty is totally setup now with names for inputs that are meaningful to me, i.e., AYR, OPO, SNY. & DOT. The only residual problem I'm having is the Ayre link is not moving the KX-5 Twenty into and out of standby.

The sound is that It's just the music, stupid for which Ayre is so known, especially when the source is my C-5xeMP. Whereas I thought the LS50s supplemented by a pair of subs was good for jazz and baroque, but not large orchestrations, this preamp proved that thought to be wrong.

db
Old 08-26-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The KX-5 Twenty is totally setup now with names for inputs that are meaningful to me, i.e., AYR, OPO, SNY. & DOT. The only residual problem I'm having is the Ayre link is not moving the KX-5 Twenty into and out of standby.

The sound is that It's just the music, stupid for which Ayre is so known, especially when the source is my C-5xeMP. Whereas I thought the LS50s supplemented by a pair of subs was good for jazz and baroque, but not large orchestrations, this preamp proved that thought to be wrong.

db

What other Ayre component are you turning off with Ayre link. Just remember that pushing briefly powers all links on but you have to push and hold a few seconds to power all links off
Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
What other Ayre component are you turning off with Ayre link. Just remember that pushing briefly powers all links on but you have to push and hold a few seconds to power all links off
The VX-5 Twenty is the only other Ayre component I have with AyreLink -- not sure whether the control port of the C-5xeMP can be configured to work with AyreLink. I didn't know about the press and hold to turn the amp off, but I'll try that. OTOH, pressing the standby button on the remote -- I use the C-5xeMP remote --takes the preamp out of standby mode, but not the amp. When the preamp comes out of standby it's in mute mode. Is that usual?

db
Old 08-28-2017, 01:41 AM

Push and hold did the trick. The amp went into standby. Thanks.

db
Old 08-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Push and hold did the trick. The amp went into standby. Thanks.

db

Great

Also if your KX5 powers up on mute- then VX5 should come off standby when you take mute off
Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
Great

Also if your KX5 powers up on mute- then VX5 should come off standby when you take mute off
Hmm. After the successful setting of amp to standby last night, the preamp and amp came up this morning with mute off.