AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I auditioned the S3 MkII, and loved it, but it cost twice what I paid for my Sopra 3s.

They had the S3 MKII but I didn’t have time to listen. No doubt they would be more impressive than the S1 MKII since they are a true full-range speaker. I’m glad I auditioned Magico and if money were no object I would probably look at the S3’s. Auditioning the A3’s makes me feel better about buying the Sopra 2’s
McIntosh MA12000, Wilson SabrinaX, Bluesound Node 2i, Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker Cables, Transparent Gen5 Powerwave, Transparent High Performance Gen5 Power Cables, Transparent Premium Gen5 75 Ohm Digital Cable, Tidal Connect
Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Default Audio Research ref75se efficient enough for sopra no2?

Hi guys,
I'm using arc ref75se driving sonus faber olympica lll for a year now and noticed that the amp is not efficient enough for the O3's. At high volume the O3's sound strained and harsh. The amp is 75wpc push pull tube class ab and the O3's nominal impedance is 4ohm and sensitivity is 90db claimed but actually is 88.8db measured by hifi news mag. Is this because 4ohm speakers are hard to drive then an 8ohm speakers? Room size is 15' x 15' only.

I'm thinking of changing it to the sopra no2, which is 8ohm and 91db claimed but actually is 88.7db mesured by hifi news mag. My worry is would the arc ref75se have enough power for the sopra no2?

Last edited by sonicmatter; 04-14-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmatter View Post
Hi guys,
I'm using arc ref75se driving sonus faber olympica lll for a year now and noticed that the amp is not efficient enough for the O3's. At high volume the O3's sound strained and harsh. The amp is 75wpc push pull tube class ab and the O3's nominal impedance is 4ohm and sensitivity is 90db claimed but actually is 88.8db measured by hifi news mag. Is this because 4ohm speakers are hard to drive then an 8ohm speakers? Room size is 15' x 15' only.

I'm thinking of changing it to the sopra no2, which is 8ohm and 91db claimed but actually is 88.7db mesured by hifi news mag. My worry is would the arc ref75se have enough power for the sopra no2?

Olympicas sound VERY different from Sopras.
If you like the SF sound get an amplifier that better matches your needs.
If you prefer the Sopras over the Olymipcas AND you are satisfied with the AR driving them then switch speakers.

You may just prefer a solid state amp sound and no speaker exchange would satisfy that need.

Mike S.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:36 AM

Default Focal Sopra n°2 speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmatter View Post
Hi guys,

4 ohm speakers will draw more current and the O3s should like an amp with the ability to deliver current. If you stick with the O3s and you like the ARC match, you might consider stepping up to the REF150.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-01-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
Olympicas sound VERY different from Sopras.
If you like the SF sound get an amplifier that better matches your needs.
If you prefer the Sopras over the Olymipcas AND you are satisfied with the AR driving them then switch speakers.

You may just prefer a solid state amp sound and no speaker exchange would satisfy that need.

Mike S.
Sorry for the late reply. Anyway reading Hi Fi News review on no2 I took the plunge and bought it. Just breaking in about 24hrs only already I noticed airy extended highs tks to the beryllium tweeters and much more focus and detail on the instruments then the O3's. But O3's had more 3 dimension on the imaging. Is still too early to judge, hope the imaging will improve after it has broken in. I think it should because the no.2 has bigger diameter midrange. I'm very happy with the no.2's and the electric orange looks stunning. Thank you for your reply Mike S.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
4 ohm speakers will draw more current and the O3s should like an amp with the ability to deliver current. If you stick with the O3s and you like the ARC match, you might consider stepping up to the REF150.
Driving the re75se with no.2 now with no issues. Very smooth compared to the O3's. No more harshness compared to the O3's. Thank you for your reply Antonmb.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Driving my no.2 with PS Audio BHK 300 monoblocks. They love the partnership!!

Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orosie View Post
Driving my no.2 with PS Audio BHK 300 monoblocks. They love the partnership!!

Wonderful set-up. I'm sure it sounds excellent!
Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Would anyone be able to compare these to SF Cremona M's? Any personal experience, opinions? I'm thinking of up-grading and these are a serious contender for me. I've listened to them, just not in my room with my equipment.

Thoughts?

Jacob
Focal Sopra 2, MC611’s, C1100, MCD1100, Zesto Andros, Feickert Woodpecker/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA, Hana Umami Red, HRS, HiFi Rose RS130, Schiit Yggy, AQ Niagara 5000 w/Hurricanes, Cardas, WireWorld Silver 7's.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid325 View Post
Would anyone be able to compare these to SF Cremona M's? Any personal experience, opinions? I'm thinking of up-grading and these are a serious contender for me. I've listened to them, just not in my room with my equipment.

Thoughts?

Jacob
I upgraded from Cremona M's to the Sopra No. 3. I know you're asking about the Sopra No. 2, but perhaps my experience might be a guide.

Both are very good speakers, but the Sopra 3's are another step beyond the Cremonas. The Sopra is more neutral in sound and has far more deep bass response. The Sopra beryllium tweeter is so smooth and never calls attention to itself, but presents all the high frequencies in a very natural way. The Cremonas are more colored to the extent that they have a somewhat artificial "sheen" to the sound because of their upper midrange and lower treble emphasis. The Sopras have more midrange "body" on vocals and acoustic instruments, whereas the Cremonas can sound a bit thin there. However, in my listening room the Cremonas produced a deeper soundstage with more precise imaging. The Sopra 3's present a bigger but somewhat less precise image. The soundstage of the Sopra 3 is still very, very good.

My ARC electronics drives both speakers without any issues whatsoever.