AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 07-20-2019, 02:37 PM

Default TOGA 2019 update

Hello, The last time I posted here in Member System Forum was TOGA 2015 upgrades.

A usual audiophile’s life 4 years later what remained are Magico Q7.
Gone was TW Acustic Black night TT and two pieces SACD player.
Gone also the fantastic Gryphon Mephisto.

Added were Magnepan 3.7i as an alternate taste, MOON’s magical 888 and 850P,
And a surprisingly great Luxman D08u. Tidal by MOON MiND2 was also added as new source.
I tried MOON 780D V2 for MQA Studio musics, but I prefer my own non-MQA Ayon CD35 fed by MOON
MIND2 via AESEBU more. But eventually Luxman replaced the wonderful Ayon.
MOON 888’s magical sounding heard when fed by Transparent OPUS 20A Power cords. Initially used with
Stage2 Minotaur 15A + Voodoo 15>20A adaptor and I think more than 50% of that wonderful sound was lost.
The Minotuar worked flawlessly with previous Gryphon, so I suspect major loss when using adaptor. That necessitates
New 20A cords and OPUS were the right choice.
Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 07-20-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Go Dawgs

Toga - The system looks great.....so I have a question, comparing the expensive Magicos to the more budget minded Magnepans....what do you think when you listen between the two pairs? How close do the Magnepans get to the Magicos? I think a lot of us would be interested in how those two speakers in different price points compare in a controlled setting like your room.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Toga,

I’m happy to see your system marches on, so to speak, ha ha ha. And I’m thrilled to see you’re still using Transparent cables. Their Reference MM speaker cables you suggested were so deeply beautiful with my McIntosh and Sonus Faber. I will absolutely consult you when I put together my next system, whenever that may be ha ha ha. You are the one who also turned me into a Shunyata die-hard fan. I would love to hear your thoughts again on these two magical brands. I’ll never forget lying on my couch in depression the night you took your Anaconda PC back home ha ha ha.

Thanks for continuing to share your passion and knowledge of audio. My heart beats excitedly while my wallet cries ha ha ha.

ron

Last edited by bachrocks; 07-20-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:33 PM

Buck,

I’ve heard Toga’s previous system with Magico although not his present one, but I have a theory. As a commercial pilot, I believe Toga expects and needs jet-engine power and slam in his system. When he played what I believe was a Megadeth concert for me one listening session—and watching on his incredible video system—I was frightened to my core by the awesome sounds and scary music I heard through his Magico speakers. On the other hand, Toga is a sincerely warm and kind man, and I hypothesize that the sound of his new system through Magnepans reflects his character from a sweeter and gentler perspective ha ha ha. Of course, I’m only guessing.

ron

Last edited by bachrocks; 07-20-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:58 PM

Default TOGA 2019 update

What a fantastic system. Do you still have a turntable, or have you given up on vinyl?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-20-2019, 11:22 PM

Default TOGA 2019 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Toga - The system looks great.....so I have a question, comparing the expensive Magicos to the more budget minded Magnepans....what do you think when you listen between the two pairs? How close do the Magnepans get to the Magicos? I think a lot of us would be interested in how those two speakers in different price points compare in a controlled setting like your room.

- Buck

Buck, good questions. Before I can answer this I have to tell you that the 3.7i cannot be placed in the ideal position, they had to be placed like that, too far apart in my opinion.

The 3.7i I think was the best value for money speakers I
have ever purchased. The purity of the sound , the huge soundstage and they go very loud. Bass was fine and solid. They can do action movie pretty surprisingly well too. I didn’t miss the Q7 much at all listening to Maggie.
Until then I switched back to Magico Q7 and that made me realized why I paid that amount for Q7, the Q7 sounded more completed and all around. With bass punch and depth that the Maggie can only dream about.
If I can start from day 1. Of course Maggie 30.7 spring to mind. However what I describe here is the Maggie driven by Moon mighty 888 and Transparent Opus speaker cables. Oh one thing I don’t like about Maggie is the quality of the terminals in the back. It’s cheaply made by
cheap materials. The speaker terminals is a nightmare.
I wanted to throw it all away and make new one using a thicker aluminum plated and better binding posts. What made the Maggie sound so good was the principle of that flat panel. If only they are built to the same standard of Magico, using solid aluminum frame, a better wiring and terminals, that would be great. But the best value for money thing will sure gone. The Maggies need huge space and very sensitive to positioning to sound balanced between imaging and frequency response. And they love watts !
In the future plan to find them the other room to breath and dreaming to see a set of Mcintosh to drive them.

Toga

Last edited by TOGA; 07-20-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
What a fantastic system. Do you still have a turntable, or have you given up on vinyl?

Also a good question. I am not giving up. But after selling Denon 100th Anniversary. DD TT and lived with TW for a few years, it turned out that I played vinyls much less.
The Denon was much easier and more fun to operate and to live with. I also sold my Accuphase C37 already too as
I dont have TT at the moment. I always like how TW looked and sounded but with MOON 888 and 850P arrival that demanded huge cash. I sold TW that I didnt use much at all and Accuphase 900/901 just to fund the MOON.

Ok so what’s next. I will not purchase TT in that price range once again. I am looking at REGA Plana 8 or
LUXMAN PD171A or PD151A. Also have Clearaudio
Charisma V2 MM in mind. I still keep Ortofon SPU A95
and that will not fit the REGA.

And the next Phono preamp probably be MOON 610LP,
I liked it since long time ago, but the two tonearms TW
Lead me to Acuuphase C37.

TOGA.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 PM

Excellent, good luck with your quest for a new vinyl source. I have the Rega RP10 and am a big fan of the Rega simplicity - no fussing around with weights or clamps, and no need to even stop the table to flip a record over. I play more vinyl than I used to with a VPI.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 07-21-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachrocks View Post
Toga,

I’m happy to see your system marches on, so to speak, ha ha ha. And I’m thrilled to see you’re still using Transparent cables. Their Reference MM speaker cables you suggested were so deeply beautiful with my McIntosh and Sonus Faber. I will absolutely consult you when I put together my next system, whenever that may be ha ha ha. You are the one who also turned me into a Shunyata die-hard fan. I would love to hear your thoughts again on these two magical brands. I’ll never forget lying on my couch in depression the night you took your Anaconda PC back home ha ha ha.

Thanks for continuing to share your passion and knowledge of audio. My heart beats excitedly while my wallet cries ha ha ha.

ron

Hey Ron my friend. Really glad to see you here. Hope you are doing fine. Sorry that you may be disappointed by seeing my poor written English here.

I remembered our time in Bangkok when I helping you improve your system.

Of course Transparent Audio cables are still play a major role in my system, Moon 888 won’t do with out the Opus power cords !

The only Shunyata left is the Alpha Digital which feed my Pioneer LX800 UHD Player or OPPO 203. It worked best
This way. I tried many cords with these UHD Player but
Keep coming back to the Alpha Digital due to its unmatched bass punch and weight when playing movies.

My others fav. cables are Purist Audio Cables. I use
There Dominus, Neptune, 25th Anniversary power cords and Dominus XLR from source to preamp.

Oh and I forgot to mention the long time favorite piece of gear that I sold. It was ranked as the longest main component I keep (8 years), the great Audio Research Ref 40. Yes we march on right ?

Also about to go soon is the highly musical and emotional touching sound Ayon CD35 Signature. It is one of the most satisfying sound player I have. But the SACD play back was not perfect , it doesn’t support gapless playback, so it adds a short silence between songs. And unbelievable but true is that the Luxman D08u, it is just as musical as the Ayon, but with different league drive and built quality. Amazing that of all CD Player that I owned, this latest player cost the least but enjoy me the most. May be because it came after I got MOON system too.

Ron hope you will build your new system soon. Hey I am
A Luxman fan now. How about L590AX II for you? Haha
Or L509X.

Toga
Old 07-21-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Excellent, good luck with your quest for a new vinyl source. I have the Rega RP10 and am a big fan of the Rega simplicity - no fussing around with weights or clamps, and no need to even stop the table to flip a record over. I play more vinyl than I used to with a VPI.

Yes RP10 was great, I had it shortly before TW arrived.
I used it with Benz ACE (red ) fed to Accuphase C37.

And yes that is what I need form new TT, the simplicity and fuss free.

Toga