AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Lamm

Lamm Bringing you the magic of music

Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM

Default Just Bought A Lamm Lp2 Deluxe!

I am new to Lamm equipment but received an offer I could not refuse. Will get it this week. Any tips on set up, placement, rolling, power, and signal cables. I am super excited, this is my first serious phono pre, I am coming from an aleph ono and manley chinook. Thanks.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 AM

Jeff...congrats on what will undoubtedly be a big step up in the phono stage What are the partnering table/cartridge? How about rest of the system? Congrats again. Lamm is the real deal!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
I am new to Lamm equipment but received an offer I could not refuse. Will get it this week. Any tips on set up, placement, rolling, power, and signal cables. I am super excited, this is my first serious phono pre, I am coming from an aleph ono and manley chinook. Thanks.

Jeff
Go search for the WE417A, use either Kubala Sonsna Elation power cord or Transparent PLMM2X, use a step up transformer if you plan to play low impedance cartridge of less than 10 ohms. It is a wonderful phono.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
Go search for the WE417A, use either Kubala Sonsna Elation power cord or Transparent PLMM2X, use a step up transformer if you plan to play low impedance cartridge of less than 10 ohms. It is a wonderful phono.
Well I fired it up for a few sides last night. I bought it second hand and it is loaded with amperex pq tubes and and amperex driver tube. It has a fancy ass fuse that is directional. I took it out and I am not sure if I put it back the right way, as I didn't see the arrow because it was facing down. Any idea which way the flow is? The sound is dead quiet, that is what I cant believe. So quiet. I am noticing tics and pops that I never noticed with the chinook which sucks, but the separation and spacing is amazing. Is this a feedback design thing or a resolution thing(the pops)? Right now I have a running springs mongoose power chord(linear golden reference). I am using a Classic 3 with a Lyra Kleos SL. Nordost Tyr interconnect cables with Cardas Clear speaker wire(have some tyr coming soon to try), my pre is an olive Naim NAC52 with a NAP250. My speakers are Joseph audio Perspectives. My conditioning is a Running Springs Audio Dmitri with HZ for it and the amp. My dream system pretty much, never knew music could sound so good. Just put the 3d arm on too so still tweaking that, waiting for the wire to burn in first. Thanks for all the help

Jeff
Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Can you recommend a SUT as my Kleos SL is 3.7ohms? I'm looking for champagne on a beer budget as this means another set of tyrs as well.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 AM

Oh Man!! It is settling in. German White album, best I ever heard dear prudence by far . OMFG! Listening to a Parrot Mono Them "Here comes the night", so magical. I am having so much fun relistening to my records.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:01 PM

kleinbje
Congratulations on the Lamm LP2. It's great to hear the LP2 is bringing joy to your listening and music.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Huge congrats Jeff!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbje View Post
Can you recommend a SUT as my Kleos SL is 3.7ohms? I'm looking for champagne on a beer budget as this means another set of tyrs as well.
If you can find the Lyra Erodion, it is best match SUT. If money is not a problem, go for the Kondo KSL-SFz.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you can find the Lyra Erodion, it is best match SUT. If money is not a problem, go for the Kondo KSL-SFz.
I'll check them out. I talked to Vladamir Lamm and he stated the SUT in the LAMM should be perfect for the lyra, though the spec would imply a lower impedence 10-15 rather than the LP2's 40ohms. I have plenty of Gain and zero noise. What should I be listening for as a result of the decreased load on the cartridge? I don't seem to have any ringing or treble anomalies/harshness. I am loving this preamp. Insanely good. Does anyone know which direction the current across the fuse goes?

Jeff