AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Streaming & Television Shows

Streaming & Television Shows Netflix, Amazon, Cable & Network Series

Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Default Ken Burns "Country Music"

Anyone else enjoy Ken Burns latest Documentary "Country Music"? I have watched the first two episodes (4 hours) so far. This is a very interesting story and you don't have to be a country music fan to enjoy the journey.

I am learning quite a lot about all the factors that led to the formation and growth of this genre. It was interesting to learn how a 500,000 watt radio station just across the border in Mexico helped propel the music. (yes that is correct 500k not 50k).
Old 09-19-2019, 12:55 AM

Yes Jim. So far, very good. Each hour seems to be better than the last. Looking forward to more Bill Monroe, Hank Williams, et al in episode 3
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 AM

Episode 4 was the best so far covering the period from 1953-63. They touched on how music changed during those times with artists such as Elvis, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Everly Brothers, Marty Robbins, and others. They talked about one husband and wife songwriting team who wrote over 900 songs that sold a half “billion” records around the world. Well worth watching.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 AM

Thank you, Jim, for the post. I had not heard about this show before, but will give it a try.

ron
Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachrocks View Post
Thank you, Jim, for the post. I had not heard about this show before, but will give it a try.

ron

Same here! Burns does a great job telling a story, and IMO Country no doubt has its place
Old 09-20-2019, 09:35 PM

I’m not much of a C&W fan but am really enjoying the series. My wife and I just finished the fourth episode. Great stories and insight into the music and performers.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:16 PM

Interesting comment that Woody Guthrie is, in essence, a true country artist. After watching the 3 episodes so far, I get it. Can't wait for Episode 4 for which I have ready to go on my DVR.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 09-26-2019, 01:25 AM

Finished watching Episode 5 that covers 1963-68. Another informative two hours.

At one point they talk about Nashville session musicians some known as the A Team. The bass player Bob Moore took part in over 18,000 sessions and over 50,000 songs. One guitarist Harold Bradley would become the most recorded in music history. Charlie McCoy was a session musician whose best talent was the harmonica but he played sax, the trumpet on Rainy Day Women number 12 &35, baritone sax on Pretty Woman, bass on 3 Dylan albums, organ on Easy Lovin’, the guitar on Detroit City, and vibes and bells on Blue Velvet.
One of the pianists was Floyd Cramer.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Semi-audiophile

Back in April I attended a Jazz at Lincoln Center performance entitled Ken Burns: Country Music. Mr. Burns was there and introduced various clips from the series, and Rhiannon Giddens, Marty Stuart and Emmylou Harris were there to perform solo, together, and with the JLCO. It was a great show and while I don't watch a whole lot of TV these days, I note the DVD is available for purchase. Being from Nashville, I'm familiar with many of the artists in the series but not all of the history.

I'm considering buying the DVD set very strongly. I don't have time to watch the TV series.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 09-26-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM

Watched Episode 6 this afternoon. This focused on the years from '68 to 72. I know I am being redundant but there is so much music history to be gleaned from this documentary.

Just how much music was recorded in Nashville at the time and it was far from being all country. Watching Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash singing Girl From The North Country together on Cash's TV show was pretty cool.

Until today I never appreciated the songwriting skills of Kris Kristofferson. Some of the most intelligent lyrics to come from any American artist.