AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Boulder Electronics

Boulder Electronics Transparent, Accurate, Fast, Rugged, and Reliable

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Boulder Hi End Products

I had to chuckle when they refer to Boulders earlier products as being Upper and mid-level. Did anyone look to see what they charge for their current top of the line amps and CD player.

The following is their latest new release.

Boulder Amplifiers, America's premiere manufacturer of home audio entertainment products since 1984, will debut their 3050 monoblock power amplifier in suite 34-203 of the Venetian Tower at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show. While Boulder's entry, mid and upper level products have always garnered awards as the best in their respective classes, the 3050 is the first true intended "Reference Level" product from Boulder and our largest and most powerful amplifier in over 25 years of audio design. The model 3050s will only be built to order and will not be stocked. Expected power output will be between 1200 and 1500 watts into an eight-ohm load (adequate to drive any known loudspeaker) and will weigh between 350 and 400 lbs. when shipping begins. All will be dedicated to 240V operation and will include a custom physical isolation system. Boulder's proven multi-stage design will be augmented with an unprecedented number of output devices, a new gain stage evolved from our own peerless 993, complete isolation and damping of individual circuit boards, a new chassis style and countless other technological advances. Full control via both Boulder Link and other external control systems will be supported. Retail prices for the 3050s have not yet been determined at the time of this writing.

Last edited by Still-One; 01-04-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Media Server Aficionado

I've always quite enjoyed Boulder - but last CES was the icing; the people that represent that company are down-to-earth, energetic about their marque, and extremely accommodating.

Plus - the equipment was paired with JM Lab Maestro Utopia BE's... it was insanely sweet.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
I've always quite enjoyed Boulder - but last CES was the icing; the people that represent that company are down-to-earth, energetic about their marque, and extremely accommodating.

Plus - the equipment was paired with JM Lab Maestro Utopia BE's... it was insanely sweet.
If these are really larger than their current products, they must be enormous.

I too have liked what I have heard from Boulder, and for that matter too, JM Lab (Focal).

Jim
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM

I often wonder why audio manufacturers charge so much money for things. Do those products actually cost that much to make? Even if they include all the R&D, marketing, prototypes, materials, etc, the prices still seem a bit excessive. Or perhaps they charge this much because they can.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I often wonder why audio manufacturers charge so much money for things. Do those products actually cost that much to make? Even if they include all the R&D, marketing, prototypes, materials, etc, the prices still seem a bit excessive. Or perhaps they charge this much because they can.
I agree with you 100%. There cannot be that much more to the BOM for those Boulder amps than in a pair of 1.2k's. Part of the issue is Boulder is spreading their R&D ad overhead over significantly fewer units.

Jim
Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 PM

I certainly liked the 1008 phono stage when it was here.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:25 PM

So I heard the 3000 series mono-blocks retail for 180,000. Can people that attended CES confirm this?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Yes - I have a cool picture of the non-working prototypes. Will post in a bit.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM

All credit goes to the orginal poster Wizard KL.

Last edited by JemHadar; 11-03-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM

Boulder is nice. Listened to their Linux driven CD player connected to mcintosh mc1201 and focal grand utopia. Was quite an experience! Boulder is big very quality crafted piece of machines with as they say, patented patterns on its sides.