AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xconcepts View Post
Buck,

HDMI is no going through to the TV only, optical to the mx150.
OK, so next thing is does it do this when you connect other audio sources, say, a CD player with an analog out or even your TV with the analog outputs or does this just happen with the optical link?

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
OK, so next thing is does it do this when you connect other audio sources, say, a CD player with an analog out or even your TV with the analog outputs or does this just happen with the optical link?

- Buck
I have not tried analog, just hdmi and optical
Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 AM

xconcepts and SuperDave - bummer that you are having trouble with your units. I feel your pain. Not good.

I've had my MX 151 for awhile, it is an amazing sounding pre/pro - top shelf and super flexible. I love it.

The MX 150/151 is not a rebadged Denon AVP. A look at the back panels of each unit will confirm this, as will a look inside.
For example the room correction systems are totally different.
The two businesses were owned by Bain Capital a few year back, but operated independently.
There were some shared components with Denon, but the design teams were independent. The same thing is happening with Audio Research and McIntosh today, as they are both owned by Fine Sounds.

Now on to what these are so problematic to repair. I'm not defending McIntosh, far from it. Just providing some info.

Unlike McIntosh amplifiers, a lot of the MX 150/151 circuitry is designed by other companies.
For example the DD/DTS decoders are designed and sourced from Momentum Data Systems.
The HDMI switcher is from another third party - not sure who did that one.
The web server and IP interface is by yet another company.
Lyngdorf did all the room correction design.
You get the picture. McIntosh is not alone in all this - most pre/pro companies do not have all the resources in house to design one of these beasts from scratch. It's a momentous task- these pre/PRO's have all kinds of specialty electronics in them - NIC's, web servers, HDMI switchers and processors, multichannel high performance a/d and d/a converters, ultra high performance analog - the list is very large.

So when something goes Tango Uniform McIntosh has to do a board level replacement, which can be very expensive and time consuming.

I've got a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order out on my MX 151 - it will be a tough decision made easier with the passing of time.
Knocking on wood.......

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-24-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
xconcepts and SuperDave - bummer that you are having trouble with your units. I feel your pain. Not good.

I've had my MX 151 for awhile, it is an amazing sounding pre/pro - top shelf and super flexible. I love it.

The MX 150/151 is not a rebadged Denon AVP. A look at the back panels of each unit will confirm this, as will a look inside.
For example the room correction systems are totally different.
The two businesses were owned by Bain Capital a few year back, but operated independently.
There were some shared components with Denon, but the design teams were independent. The same thing is happening with Audio Research and McIntosh today, as they are both owned by Fine Sounds.

Now on to what these are so problematic to repair. I'm not defending McIntosh, far from it. Just providing some info.

Unlike McIntosh amplifiers, a lot of the MX 150/151 circuitry is designed by other companies.
For example the DD/DTS decoders are designed and sourced from Momentum Data Systems.
The HDMI switcher is from another third party - not sure who did that one.
The web server and IP interface is by yet another company.
Lyngdorf did all the room correction design.
You get the picture. McIntosh is not alone in all this - most pre/pro companies do not have all the resources in house to design one of these beasts from scratch. It's a momentous task- these pre/PRO's have all kinds of specialty electronics in them - NIC's, web servers, HDMI switchers and processors, multichannel high performance a/d and d/a converters, ultra high performance analog - the list is very large.

So when something goes Tango Uniform McIntosh has to do a board level replacement, which can be very expensive and time consuming.

I've got a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order out on my MX 151 - it will be a tough decision made easier with the passing of time.
Knocking on wood.......

Tom
Tom,
Thanks for all of the information. I knew some pieces were outsourced and it makes sense why repairs would take longer but 6, 8, 12 months is hilarious for a flagship product. I cringe to think of the people with an MX160 in for repair! By the time they get it back after thousands on repair costs, they'll have introduced an MX161 and you'll have spent more on a repair than the actual unit is now worth. At least that has been my experience. All complaints aside, when the MX150 was working, I loved it. At the time mine smoked, I did not have a pre and was using the MX150s pure stereo for 2 ch listening. It wasn't ideal as the unit digitizes everything coming in but I still enjoyed the sound. I never updated firmware for the MX150 as many said pure stereo went away as well as causing aux input issues and the MX160 has no pure stereo option, so i'd be forced to add a pre with the cost of the 160. I decided to get the Bryston with no room correction or Atmos and add a Nagra pre for 2 ch. Are you going to replace the MX151? What else have you looked at? Just curious.

Dave
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM

I'm really sorry the OP is having such major issues. I find it completely unacceptable.

This is one of the big reasons why it's very attractive to go with the Anthem AVM-60 for a fraction of the cost. The entire business of video and encoding change a lot. Once you buy a system, it's outdated within 24 months, because of a new encoding. Dual subs .. ATMOS .. HDMI 2.2 .. 3D .. DTX. List goes on and on.

In any business where there is a lot of change, it is beneficial to look for and want to take advantage of network effects. The more units produced means cheaper price, more support, and being connecting with other people who have the same unit as you on forums. Obviously there's an entire bellcurve of hardware out there in terms of quality and price. No need to push to the far left (cheapest price, most features), but somewhere in the middle or slightly to the right (more expensive, lots of units, but not mass-produced) renders the best priceerformance ratios. Most of us generally want great sound (excellent sound isn't required all the time, especially for HT), 4K support, ATMOS support, and etc. Some of the units that fall into this category are the Anthem AVM60 and MRX series; Emotiva; Maratnz; and even Yamaha and Denon towards the lower end.

I wish McIntosh would fix their MX-series products or just drop the entire product line. As it stands today, it's just a bad scenario for anyone involved.

I hope that the OP is able to get it repaired/sold quickly; or able to use it as a trade-in credit towards something else.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Dave,
I agree 100% - it's just beyond bad for McIntosh to take that long to service their own gear.
I am not actively looking at new pre/pro's right now. The MX 151 just does so many things so well.
For 4K I'll add a video processor or an HDMI switch. It would be nice to have auto cal for my PJ, so probably a Lumagen.
Ultimately I'd love to have an Atmos system as the demo's I've heard are really outstanding.
That decision will drive a pre/pro replacement and a lot of other work.
While I'd love to have an MX 160, I'll be looking across brands when the time comes.
Tom
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-24-2017, 12:49 PM

If my MX 151 were to go TU, I'd seriously consider the AVM-60. For 3 large it looks to be very capable.
I wonder who designed it? Anthem used to use Eastech for all their pre/pro's - not sure who they use now.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-24-2017, 02:36 PM

Since the beginning, one of the dominant characteristics of McIntosh products had always been of reliability and unimpeachable build quality.

The alarming increase in QC issues - both cataloged here and elsewhere - is very disconcerting to say the least.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM

So quick update, final got a reply call back from mcintosh. This is the 1st ever with this issue with either the 150/151. I have to ship the unit from Japan to Cali for repair. I'm on a military base so I can use usps and I've shipped a unit back before so it's not going to be too much to ship. They are more than likely going to eat much of the parts cost, I'll just be liable for the labor. So we'll see how long repair takes.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:40 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I have never relied on my MX-xxx processors to do video, which is sad. I use the top of the line Lumagen Scalers, they are amazing and provide constant support via user friendly firmware upgrades.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES