AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM

Iván Which would be at the time the best option for my system? Bearing in mind q there are small electrical fluctuations, which makes his assignment better P5 or 1500? Thank you
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM

I would be interested to know the difference in sound between plugging the AMP and PRE AMP directly into the wall vs the power conditioner.

I used a professional Tripp Lite isolator/conditioner for a couple of years and one day I decided to plug the amp / pre amp back straight into the wall and the sound became AMAZING.

Let me know the results when you have some time please as I love the look of the unit.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM123 View Post
I would be interested to know the difference in sound between plugging the AMP and PRE AMP directly into the wall vs the power conditioner.

I used a professional Tripp Lite isolator/conditioner for a couple of years and one day I decided to plug the amp / pre amp back straight into the wall and the sound became AMAZING.

Let me know the results when you have some time please as I love the look of the unit.

Mc601 pair and below models for amps will do very well with the mpc1500. Had my Pre, cd into the mpc1500, and they sounded better than into the wall. Staging seemed wider, sounded quieter, and bass felt like it was naturally more revealing.

I feel that is one of the indicators that a good set up is achieved, and the mpc1500 seems worthy to be called an upgrading component in an already excellent performing set.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-11-2017, 03:34 PM

The D1100 is only is as a DAC. How much sound will change, if the D1100 is connected to the MPC1500?

Last edited by xv21; 10-11-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv21 View Post
The D1100 is only is as a DAC. How much sound will change, if the D1100 is connected to the MPC1500?
Everything will benefit from clean power source, and the MPC1500 also protects your D1100 too.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheed Martin View Post
Everything will benefit from clean power source, and the MPC1500 also protects your D1100 too.
I understand this, but how much sound will change?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:56 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xv21 View Post
I understand this, but how much sound will change?
I own two of them, my experience has been not much.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-29-2017, 01:48 AM

I'm thinking of getting one too, but I'm reading about it's design faults too which makes me apprehensive. Mostly it just filters noise in the power from the wall, it doesn't reduce noise coming from other component connected to the same power conditioner. I have a free Panamax. It's one of the better ones with a removable cable, but probably not comparable to the Mc.

But I want my system to look pretty, so here I am talking about it instead of buying it.
I was thinking of starting a new thread on this when I saw this one pop up recently.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 AM

There are so many variables in the quality of AC power between locations that it's very difficult to predict how well something like an MPC-1500 will work for you. Sometimes AC quality can change - for better or worse - even in the same location.

For example, I had terrible AC power when I first bought my house, and was particularly plagued with low voltage. But gradual improvements by the electric utility have helped over time. The two things that made the biggest difference were substation upgrades and a change to our street's circuit when a neighbor installed solar power. Reliability improvements ordered by the state after Hurricane Sandy have also helped my house have much better quality AC than before.

I used to use an API Ultra 116 balanced power unit plugged into an API Ultra 2-20 for all of my line level components and it was terrific. That was plugged into a dedicated derated 20A line. But when I upgraded by preamp and phono stage a while back, the current demand of the new gear exceeded what the API allowed on its individual outlets. So I replaced the Ultra 116 with an MPC-1500 and there was no loss in performance at all - even though I have both analog and digital gear plugged into it. (I kept the Ultra 2-20 and the MPC-1500 itself is plugged into it. Don't ask me why I did that. I don't know if it helps or not.)

If you're tempted by the MPC-1500, I suggest you ask your dealer to loan you a unit so that you can evaluate it for yourself. Perhaps I would not have been happy with mine back when my AC power was so poor. There's no way to know. But I have zero complaints with it now. And the convenience of the remote triggers is also nice.

While we're on the subject, I also use a Tice Power Block and Titan pair on each of my amplifiers. They are very, very effective and I have no plan to upgrade them. The MPC-1500 is for use only on line level gear.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
Mc601 pair and below models for amps will do very well with the mpc1500. Had my Pre, cd into the mpc1500, and they sounded better than into the wall. Staging seemed wider, sounded quieter, and bass felt like it was naturally more revealing.

I feel that is one of the indicators that a good set up is achieved, and the mpc1500 seems worthy to be called an upgrading component in an already excellent performing set.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I have received my Mpc1500 2 days before yesterday. My feeling is exactly the same after few hours of listening.