AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 08-30-2020, 01:13 AM

Default ATI Amplifier Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Good luck - by the way ATI Amplifier Technologies, ATI Technology is semiconductor foundry supplier, likely not what you are looking for.

The classic ATI is another bullet-proof time-tested design. Their newer N-core amps combine a traditional linear power supply with the Hypex N-core amplifier module. All come with a 7 year transferable warranty. I use the N-core version.
Okay, CL Petersen, ATI Amplifier Technologies it is - check. I will give them a read as soon as I get a bit of time for it. Thank you.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 09-01-2020, 01:27 PM

Question Anthem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Have you looked at the anthem AVM60 (processor) and the MCA525 (amp). This is the setup I use for my home theater after my research back in 17.
rushca..... I just watched a video review of the Anthem AVM60...and, unfortunately, the jargon was pretty thick. Bearing in mind that Home Theater (HT) is new to us, will you kindly explain what "Dolby Atmos" (DA) is all about? Given the name, I'm assuming that it incorporates the "height" speakers the guy was talking about, but that's only a guess. I'm also assuming that DA is a modern form of surround processing, but is it the latest?

It seems to me that my research has brought us to posts in which some HT owners were complaining about the latest surround technology -- and ended up preferring the older variant(s) -- but I didn't write down the specifics. If you happen to be up on this kind of thing, would you mind giving us a brief history of these advancements?

We (my wife and I) would also appreciate your impressions of the Anthem brand itself. I have to admit that a lot of the AV Pre-Pro and AV Receiver designs we've seen look pretty similar, but, obviously, that doesn't mean that they're the same when it comes to durability and/or sound quality. Thank you for your time.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 09-01-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
rushca..... I just watched a video review of the Anthem AVM60...and, unfortunately, the jargon was pretty thick. Bearing in mind that Home Theater (HT) is new to us, will you kindly explain what "Dolby Atmos" (DA) is all about? Given the name, I'm assuming that it incorporates the "height" speakers the guy was talking about, but that's only a guess. I'm also assuming that DA is a modern form of surround processing, but is it the latest?

It seems to me that my research has brought us to posts in which some HT owners were complaining about the latest surround technology -- and ended up preferring the older variant(s) -- but I didn't write down the specifics. If you happen to be up on this kind of thing, would you mind giving us a brief history of these advancements?

We (my wife and I) would also appreciate your impressions of the Anthem brand itself. I have to admit that a lot of the AV Pre-Pro and AV Receiver designs we've seen look pretty similar, but, obviously, that doesn't mean that they're the same when it comes to durability and/or sound quality. Thank you for your time.
I would be happy to help as best I can. I certainly can’t explain it better than the experts but Dolby Atmos is the latest/greatest codex from Dolby. Utilizing up to 11 speakers (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, Back Left, Back Right, 4 height speakers and of course subs.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/d...can-you-get-it

I have been quite pleased with my Anthem AVM60, it does a phenomenal job at home theater. I like the fact that it’s built and designed in NA. Easy to use feature set and comes with room correction features. It’s not perfect, the WiFi connectivity has issues sometimes but if you run Ethernet you are fine. I’ve had mine for a little under 3 years and no issues. They release firmware updates every couple months and they are easy to install. It has balanced XLR out in addition to RCA’s, plenty of HDMI connections, pass thru so you can use your TV speaker without having to run the whole system (great for kids and spouses). I don’t use mine for 2 channel listening, I have a separate system for that.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:22 PM

Thumbs up Here's to separate systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
I would be happy to help as best I can. I certainly can’t explain it better than the experts but Dolby Atmos is the latest/greatest codex from Dolby. Utilizing up to 11 speakers (Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, Back Left, Back Right, 4 height speakers and of course subs.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/d...can-you-get-it

I have been quite pleased with my Anthem AVM60, it does a phenomenal job at home theater. I like the fact that it’s built and designed in NA. Easy to use feature set and comes with room correction features. It’s not perfect, the WiFi connectivity has issues sometimes but if you run Ethernet you are fine. I’ve had mine for a little under 3 years and no issues. They release firmware updates every couple months and they are easy to install. It has balanced XLR out in addition to RCA’s, plenty of HDMI connections, pass thru so you can use your TV speaker without having to run the whole system (great for kids and spouses). I don’t use mine for 2 channel listening, I have a separate system for that.
rushca..... I'm beginning to see the wisdom in having a "separate system" for stereo music. From day one -- which was a LOOONG time ago -- we've enjoyed our Mac MX-130 to MC300 paring, so why reinvent the wheel, aye? One thing that I've gleaned (recently) from the AAF is that switches can be used to one's advantage...so I will definitely start researching those.

You also mentioned WiFi issues. if you take a look at our signature, you'll see that we have zero high-speed internet available to us here in the mountains. Needless to say, the lack of this kind of data transfer technology is a serious handicap when it comes to the trends in A/V/D. Hell, I was in a regional audio shop, just yesterday, and the guy auditioned a Hegel system via a Stevie Ray Vaughan song he streamed via his "smart" phone! Sorry, but I'm venting about our stone age internet service ... goosfraba ... goosfraba ... but it is a problem that we can't get around, at the moment, so I tend to stick with "hard-wired" equipment.

By the way, am I correct in assuming that "height" speakers are synonymous with ceiling speakers?

Thanks for the post

Old 09-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
rushca..... I'm beginning to see the wisdom in having a "separate system" for stereo music. From day one -- which was a LOOONG time ago -- we've enjoyed our Mac MX-130 to MC300 paring, so why reinvent the wheel, aye? One thing that I've gleaned (recently) from the AAF is that switches can be used to one's advantage...so I will definitely start researching those.

You also mentioned WiFi issues. if you take a look at our signature, you'll see that we have zero high-speed internet available to us here in the mountains. Needless to say, the lack of this kind of data transfer technology is a serious handicap when it comes to the trends in A/V/D. Hell, I was in a regional audio shop, just yesterday, and the guy auditioned a Hegel system via a Stevie Ray Vaughan song he streamed via his "smart" phone! Sorry, but I'm venting about our stone age internet service ... goosfraba ... goosfraba ... but it is a problem that we can't get around, at the moment, so I tend to stick with "hard-wired" equipment.

By the way, am I correct in assuming that "height" speakers are synonymous with ceiling speakers?

Thanks for the post
WiFi is ONLY needed if you plan to stream music through the processor. It has built in streaming capabilities. Firm ware updates are done via USB, go to their website and download the zip to a USB insert in Anthem and it automatically does its thing. So WiFI may be a non issue for you.

Yes, height speakers in general are ceiling speakers, they work in a narrow frequency range and are used for effects only.

My 2 channel setup has a Mcintoch Pre amp, Mcintosh amp, Schiit DAC, VPI prime table, and node 2.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I haven't heard the M28.
It has yet to be released, but if it is as good as the stereo amp we heard, multiplied by 3 ½, it will be a very, very tough competitor.
I installed one in my weekend system this weekend and it seems a revelation. Of course, it is only a brief encounter so far.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I installed one in my weekend system this weekend and it seems a revelation. Of course, it is only a brief encounter so far.

Since I think you have looked at both this and the M33, do these come from the factory with the full frequency Dirac Live or just the lower frequency version?
Old 09-01-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX-626 View Post
Since I think you have looked at both this and the M33, do these come from the factory with the full frequency Dirac Live or just the lower frequency version?
1. The M33 comes with the LE version. The full spectrum version is an add-on.
2. The M28 is a power amp. No processing, no controls, no EQ, of course.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
1. The M33 comes with the LE version. The full spectrum version is an add-on.

2. The M28 is a power amp. No processing, no controls, no EQ, of course.

Thank you
Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM
Keeping it real since '75

Quote:
Kal & Cleeds..... Thanks for the [pardon the pun] "input."

I'm happy to read that you folks have never had any issues related to the outdated USB 2.0 transfer rate. It does make one wonder, however, why some manufacturers are spending the money necessary to update to -- and feature, no less -- the newer USB transfer technology, aye?
As I said earlier, this particular use case scenario has no drawback to using USB 2.0. That being said, USB 2.0 came out in 2000 while the NEWEST Gen Thunderbolt 3 was released in 2019, so its just a matter of moving from 20 year old technology to something newer. If you wanted to summarize the differences down to a single statement though, the newer standards are just faster. USB 2.0 is simply "fast enough" for all but edge case scenarios though when it comes to audio. So USB 2.0 will go away at some point entirely but again, remember... The newer standards can run at the USB 2.0 specification so none of this is going to adversely affect the performance of your new preamp.