AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 AM

I have had many cj preamps in my system and must say that there is a noticeable improvement with every new generation.
I think Lew also mentions this in his interview to TAS in their May/June issue.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
Yes, based on my experience. Less cost in chassis design more in parts quality. The et3 also includes a more modern circuit design based on the GAT.
Rone, my only contention with that argument is I believe the msrp on the ET-2 was $3800; whereas the ET-3 is $2500. So the argument could be made that extra $1300 accounts for the fancy case...or lack thereof...and that both units use parts of the same relative value.

I created this thread, because I'm considering the ET-3 to replace my ET-2. My only concern is, sometimes...when C-J guys say it sounds "better", they mean more "tube-y". I'm not looking for extra warmth; in fact, I thought the ET-2 was plenty warm...but still with good detail of course; until a new DAC made me realize my old one was veiling the sound a bit (and that's the first time I've EVER used "like a veil was lifted", in reference to a new piece of gear...lol).

I'm REALLY happy with the sound of my system right now; I'm only considering the ET-3 for the tube-rolling flexibility. If it was "better" to boot, that would be icing on the cake, of course; but I'm hesitant to mess with a good thing.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I'm REALLY happy with the sound of my system right now; I'm only considering the ET-3 for the tube-rolling flexibility. If it was "better" to boot, that would be icing on the cake, of course; but I'm hesitant to mess with a good thing.
I think that's great, CD. It's really nice to be there. I feel the same way about my system....
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 AM

I agree with PC. If you are happy with your system, why change?
I do not think the ET3 is more tubey based on my experience. But if you want even less tubey and more detailed and transparent sound the ET3SE is the one to choose.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:20 PM

While I don't mean to pile on, CD, count me in as a +1 on PC's and ronenash's "if you're happy with it" comments. Your posts indicate that you've given a lot of thought to--and absorbed more than a little feedback in--getting yourself to where you are now. So why not enjoy it?

But then you knew I'd say that.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 AKM version (to be replaced by inbound Bryston BDA-3), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Rone, my only contention with that argument is I believe the msrp on the ET-2 was $3800; whereas the ET-3 is $2500. So the argument could be made that extra $1300 accounts for the fancy case...or lack thereof...and that both units use parts of the same relative value.

I created this thread, because I'm considering the ET-3 to replace my ET-2. My only concern is, sometimes...when C-J guys say it sounds "better", they mean more "tube-y". I'm not looking for extra warmth; in fact, I thought the ET-2 was plenty warm...but still with good detail of course; until a new DAC made me realize my old one was veiling the sound a bit (and that's the first time I've EVER used "like a veil was lifted", in reference to a new piece of gear...lol).

CD...

You may find that tube rolling is not all it's cracked up to be. After trying some well regarded NOS tubes in my GAT, I'm back to my two best EH6922s. The amplifiers were built for and voiced with the tubes they supplied so it may be hard to improve much on a quality stock tube. I found it a little like changing cables... not sure which ones really improved the sound vs. just different. Now, on the other hand, the SE version of a c-j amp is always better.

Enjoy,
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, I am plenty happy right now...which is why I am proceeding ever so cautiously...if at all. I guess the way I see the ET-2 vs. ET-3, is at the very least...they're a tie. I certainly wouldn't expect the ET-3 to sound any worse (and if it did, well then...I'd could always sell it to someone who didn't think so).

If I found them to sound equally good...but the ET-3 offered the tube-rolling flexibility; however insignificantly beneficial...it might tip the scale ever so slightly. And if OTOH, I found the ET-3 to be surprisingly superior in some respect; well then, that would be icing on the cake and a rather easy choice.

Again...just thinking out loud, and weighing my options (and wallet).
Old 05-01-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
CD...

You may find that tube rolling is not all it's cracked up to be. After trying some well regarded NOS tubes in my GAT, I'm back to my two best EH6922s. The amplifiers were built for and voiced with the tubes they supplied so it may be hard to improve much on a quality stock tube. I found it a little like changing cables... not sure which ones really improved the sound vs. just different. Now, on the other hand, the SE version of a c-j amp is always better.

Enjoy,
Bob
wise

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I see the ET-3 guys seem to do a good bit of tube-rolling. It appears the ET-2...with its "limited" 8080...allows far fewer options. This leads me to still be intrigued by the ET-3.

Still no one who can stack them up, side-by-side? Will I be the first one to try both?

The ET-3 has a 6922? Lots of options to choose from there?
Looks like it's so.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM

all I can say is:
If I owned an ET2 today....I'd be chomping at the bit to move to a 6922 and relay controlled volume setting unit. like ET3, ET5, GAT.

whether is was a smart move on my part, or yet another one of a thousand+ dumb moves, I discounted the ET2 immediately due to it's "chip based" analog switch volume control...and held on to my ClassicSE until ET3SE hit the street.

I had (have?) a long standing hatred of what we called at Ampex "IC analog switches". Which I fully accept is rooted in urban legend and superstition more than reality.

having said all that, I'd love to hear YOUR report on comparing ET3 to ET2.