AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 AM

What do you guys use to host images to post here?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Retired

Don't recall if you have to be at least a subscriber to post pic's, or not. If not, you don't need to host (at least I don't bother). Click the 'Go Advanced' box below the message box. Then the 'Manage Attachements' box and browse for your pic file. I then do the left-click and 'copy image location' and use [img] the location info and [/img] to post the pic. Find that 800x800 is the best size, though one can smaller or larger.

Also, thou I don't think you access the classifieds without being a subscriber, there is an excellent deal on a pair of 1m WW Silver Eclipse 7 RCA cables listed. Shipping via USPS Priorty Mail small flat-rate box is likely around $30 to Hong Kong.

Have fun.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-29-2016, 08:59 PM

I dont think i have the rights to post attachments. Thanks for the heads up on the WW, will check it out
Old 12-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
What do you guys use to host images to post here?
Jumpman - I use Photobucket without any trouble.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 AM

Ok as is always the case. The local dealer for Avid is doing a sale and the pulsus is selling discounted. Is it significantly better than the Lehmman?
Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Retired

Not sure you would notice a big step up from the Lehmann SE to the Avid Pulsus with your current cartridge/TA/ICs. Everything depends on the weakest link. You might benefit more from a better cartridge/a Signature TA (Nordost wiring)/better ICs before stepping up on the phono preamp. My thinking is the $$ spent on the preamp should approximately equal that spent on the cartridge, so you have a good bit of leeway on the cartridge end of things. I recently rotated the AT33R into the mix and am enjoying greatly. Another personal 'rule-of-thumb' is that one needs to double the $$ spent on a cartridge to get a significant upgrade. For what its worth, I have two JMW9 Sig TAs and that allows a quick and easy swap between two cartridges. Lift one off and replace with the other. Takes about 2min to swap them.

Let me add that if it were my $$, based on what I've heard over the years, I would lean towards a Sig TA and one of the top-end MM cartridges to give a contrast to your MC cartridge. Something like the 2M Black or AT150MXL.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-30-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:54 AM

That's excellent advice. I think a new cartridge is the best route
Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Retired

Take what you've got, double the $$ and see what shows up. Have fun.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:20 PM

Just dropped by my VPI dealer and he's checking with VPI to see if they are making a jmw9 3D and if they are, will wait for that. Temped by the sound smith zephyr. As for IC, I run audio note anvx from scout to lehmman and aq diamond to pre.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Retired

There is a VPI forum on which Harry & Matt & a couple of other folks from VPI answer questions, etc. There is no 3D JMW9 TA at the moment (in Oct Matt alluded to "end of the year", so he still has a few hours ). No other time-line that I'm aware of for same. May be held up as they solve the problems they've had with the longer 3D arms or they may not see any advantage in the shorter length, which is naturally stiffer in any event. You can fit a 10" arm to a Scout, but not sure about the 12".

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-31-2016 at 10:09 AM.