AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Default Ortofon Cadenza Bronze w/tubes

I think I've narrowed my choices down on a cart upgrade to the Cadenza Bronze. One thing I seem to read quite a bit about is the cart's warmth, is anyone pairing this cart with a tube pre and/or amp? The table is a VPI Classic 2/3 hybrid with a 3D arm and I'll be going into my C2300. This Bronze/VPI combo seems highly regarded on the VPI forum, although in my research I've read a few people who felt the cart with tubes was a little over the top in warmth. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 PM

The Bronze is only a touch warmer than the Black, which is a bit more detailed or ultimately revealing depending upon your perspective. I don't find it too warm to be matched with tube gear, but it's all very subjective and YMMV applies. You really can't go wrong with either of those Cadenza models, both offer exceptional quality and value.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:51 PM

I am considering different cartridges for my soon to be delivered VPI Avenger.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 12-13-2016, 05:58 PM

I considered the Black, but my main concern there is the relatively low output for my C2300's stage and I'd rather not spend $1,000+ on a SUT. I've read many reviews that favored the Bronze over the Black. I suppose I'd also be open to other suggestions for the VPI Classic in the same price range as long as a SUT wouldn't be necessary, but so far the Bronze seems like the best fit based on my research.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Greetings from NC

I have the Cadenza Black with the VPI Classic Signature to the McIntosh C2300 and have no issue with output regarding the phono stage. You have me curious now. Jim
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Steve.......I am using an Ortofon Cadenza Blue on my Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable with a Micro Seiki MA-505 tonearm. It feeds the moving coil phono stage of my McIntosh C2300. I am getting excellent results with this combination. I also use the Ortofon Cadenza Black on my Michell Gyro SE turntable with an SME309 tonearm the feeds the moving coil phono stage of a McIntosh C1000C/P preamplifier. Both are fabulous.

I have read much about the different tonality between the Ortofon Cadenza models and the general consensus is the Bronze is the warmest sounding in the group. I doubt the sonic signature is tipped much above what would be considered close to neutral. My experience with several other current production Ortofon cartridges has shown me there is much similarity between them, which to me is a good thing because the three I have direct experience with all sound very good.

An advantage available with the C2300 preamp is you can tailor the sound of the moving coil phono stage by changing tubes in order to achieve different results. I use Gold Lion ECC83/B759/12AX7 tubes in my C2300 line stage and Telefunken ECC803S (12AX7) tubes in the moving coil phono stage. By changing the tubes in line stage and/or moving coil phono stage you have the option to dial in a sound that will please you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-13-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:12 PM

FWIW Bob at Bob's Devices recommended a SUT to be used with the Black and the C2300, though of course he makes and sells SUTs so maybe he has a slight bias

Dan, I use the Gold Lions in both my line and MM stage today in the C2300, that's a good point is that I could always tube roll. I might just be overthinking the whole warmth thing, I imagine either way it'll be a welcome step up from my 2M Black which I think is a great MM cart.

Last edited by Maks; 12-13-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:20 PM

When one considers a dedicated phono preamp, do they generally have a built in SUT, or is this something that is usually going to be a separate endeavor?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 PM

Default Ortofon Cadenza Bronze w/tubes

Interesting conversation. I've moved up from the Cadenza Blue (really a modded Red) to the A95. I certainly wouldn't describe the A95 as overly warm...It is quite "lively". And that's with Gold Lions in the MM phono stage. [emoji41]
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds

Last edited by scirica; 12-13-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
FWIW Bob at Bob's Devices recommended a SUT to be used with the Black and the C2300, though of course he makes and sells SUTs so maybe he has a slight bias

Dan, I use the Gold Lions in both my line and MM stage today in the C2300, that's a good point is that I could always tube roll. I might just be overthinking the whole warmth thing, I imagine either way it'll be a welcome step up from my 2M Black which I think is a great MM cart.
Does anyone have any info regarding Bob's Devices? Quality? Value?