AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Technology is changing fast enough where it is very unlikely I will own a piece of gear 10 years. Heck the oldest piece in my rack is the MS-300 and I can't find a suitable replacement otherwise it would be gone.
You might not, but a lot of us would. I still own my Rega Planar 3 from 30 years ago.

And it still works, and I can still get parts for it.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
chief tube tester

Shindo's son, Takashi, who maintains a long standing tradition at Shindo Labs in assisting his father, is an electrical wizard in his own right. If anyone were to carry on the torch it would him. Rest assured components and expertise will be available for many years.

-M
Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 PM

To Puma's point, other than my front end, all my equipment is more than 30 years old. All of it still works too but I can't get exact replacement parts for any of it.

And so what.

I didn't purchase the gear thinking, " Geez, I better buy from a company that's going to be in business in 30 years." I bought gear that I thought was the best available at the time. Fortunately it still works. If and when it breaks, I have no doubt it can be repaired and heck, maybe even improved. If I'm wrong, I'll just move on and buy something else.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Jeff,
Your question makes sense. But imho, passionate people like Ken Shindo do things in a way that they won't disappear with them. I'm sure that not only his son, but in a few years, others will be competent to make repairs as Ken Shindo himself.
But when you'll be in Paris, you'll have to tell me why so many negative thinkings about Shindo !
Like some psys, I would say that you burn to own one, and you'll do one day !
Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM

I don't think Shindo-sans age, small team (given his son is apprenticing), and his use of unobtainium NOS parts (which don't sound so unobtainium) ought to be primary driver behind audio enthusiasts decision whether to buy Shindo-sans products or not. High-end audio companies are in large part small, niche companies, many of which are operated by a handful of people and I don't see folks putting down many of these "marquee" names, like Lyra, Souluution, Rockport Technologies, DeVore Fidelity, etc...If you are only going to buy from large (in relative terms) high-end audio companies, you are going to be relegated to a few names in the high-end audio industry. Besides, the industry is replete with examples of larger audio brands, who presumably had management and design bench depth, who have gone out of business, and their size was not a defense against their eventual demise. Or as Serge cited, there are many examples of large companies who can no longer support older products because they no longer have replacement parts. Forget Krell, buyers are going crazy trying to buy additional laser assemblies for the Sony XA-5400ES CD/SACD player because Sony will no longer be producing the XA-5400ES and the laser assemblies are prone to go bad earlier in the player's life-cycle (and this is freakin' Sony we are talking about, not exactly a pip-squeek sized vendor).

I get Jeff and Stephen's concerns but I just think that's part of the friction costs of playing in the deep end of the pool. Most audiophools () are hopefully cognizant of who they are purchasing from and understand the obscolescense risk they are assuming in their purchases. If you can't swim in the deep end then don't dive in. Just my 2cents worth.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Jeff,
Your question makes sense. But imho, passionate people like Ken Shindo do things in a way that they won't disappear with them. I'm sure that not only his son, but in a few years, others will be competent to make repairs as Ken Shindo himself.
But when you'll be in Paris, you'll have to tell me why so many negative thinkings about Shindo !
Like some psys, I would say that you burn to own one, and you'll do one day !
Seriously, I ask these questions of any manufacturer that builds in small quantities.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM

As a Shindo owner this was a topic I raised with Matt before my purchase. I am comfortable because:

1) Shindo does maintain a cache of NOS parts for repairs.
2) Once supply gets down to a certain level my understanding is new production ceases of that model.
3) As Matt mentioned, Shindo has a son who has been involved in the production of equipment for a while and can carry on the legacy (ala Koetsu)

The issue of continuity applies to everyone. If anything, I'm more partial to the Shindo's and Koetsu's of the world who have had a consistant vision of Audio for 30+ years. That shows more stability to me than many US Audio manufacturers and dealers who are always trying to ride the latest audio wave (remember the stampede out of 2 channel to home theater?)

Further, I can't find even anecdotal evidance of anyone who has purchased a Shindo product that has had problems if any repair was needed. Compare that to the nightmares you hear on many audio forums.

Finally, while the dealer model may add some extra cost into the end product, we have individuals like Matt and Jonathan who we can go to when something goes wrong. Not only does the Shindo dealer provide pre sales assistance but they are a critical link on the back end as well.

Don't think I'm going to have any issues sleeping tonight as a Shindo owner.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM

While this topic may or may not be a legitimate concern going way into the future and who the heck knows what will be in another ten, twenty, thirty years, will the audiophile himself be alive? I myself, am not worried about it one bit.

All I know is that I enjoy Shindo very much right now, have plans to expand my collection going into the future and something tells me I will have more than enough spare parts in the form of a preowned, parts donor, same model Shindo if I have to.

The enjoyment and bliss I get from listening to my system today, far overrides any concerns going into the future with it. Out of all the possible things to worry about, audio gear is very far down on my list of concerns.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius
As a Shindo owner this was a topic I raised with Matt before my purchase. I am comfortable because:

1) Shindo does maintain a cache of NOS parts for repairs.
2) Once supply gets down to a certain level my understanding is new production ceases of that model.
3) As Matt mentioned, Shindo has a son who has been involved in the production of equipment for a while and can carry on the legacy (ala Koetsu)

The issue of continuity applies to everyone. If anything, I'm more partial to the Shindo's and Koetsu's of the world who have had a consistant vision of Audio for 30+ years. That shows more stability to me than many US Audio manufacturers and dealers who are always trying to ride the latest audio wave (remember the stampede out of 2 channel to home theater?)

Further, I can't find even anecdotal evidance of anyone who has purchased a Shindo product that has had problems if any repair was needed. Compare that to the nightmares you hear on many audio forums.

Finally, while the dealer model may add some extra cost into the end product, we have individuals like Matt and Jonathan who we can go to when something goes wrong. Not only does the Shindo dealer provide pre sales assistance but they are a critical link on the back end as well.

Don't think I'm going to have any issues sleeping tonight as a Shindo owner.
Excellent post and mirrors my sentiment exactly. Either way long live Shindo-San, I'm just getting started!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:33 PM

..... one of the many reasons, I decided to acquire McIntosh gear.. is for the very reason that Jeff raises...

McIntosh has a 60year plus reputation. You can have McIntosh repaired in many areas... there are hundreds if not thousands of McIntosh owners around the world....

I don't doubt that Shindo is outstanding gear, capable of lasting for many many years.... but what if, it does break?... Where do I turn to? Can I trust them? Will they have the parts?...

Not everyone can afford to roll over audio equipment on a whim, or have a number of spare stock parts at hand.... many audio enthusiasts enjoy this hobby..with minimal funds...

But, no one has yet answered Jeff's fundamental questions....

"Can the quality of sound that is produced by One man.... be guaranteed if repaired by just a 'good' electronics technician?...

Then again,... Shindo will never be mainstream.. I don't think that is the vision. It will be enjoyed.. by a very selected few.. and there is nothing wrong with that either...
Closed Thread