AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-22-2017, 11:07 AM

I will be very interested to hear what you think. I owned a VT100 years ago. I have never had a chance to hear the VT50.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:36 PM

Beware the tube rolling rabbit hole!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post

So what do you guys think of this older amp?
Have you ever considered consolidating your music system to a common quality brand and models?
Old 01-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Have you ever considered consolidating your music system to a common quality brand and models?
Maybe at some point, however at this point in time I am both experimenting and building in ways that I can afford.

I had considered possibly getting a Benchmark amplifier, which would consolidate, however I really want to try something different, to discover if at this point in time I prefer the tube sound.

I had considered getting a SST pre-amplifier, but at this point in time it would be both too expensive and a tad limiting in DAC.

I certainly have considered moving toward more McIntosh pieces (Every audio lover from Binghamton certain has to consider this); however to get more McIntosh would be both too expensive and probably not the best performance value for my hi-fi dollar. But having at least one piece is almost a requirement for me ....

I believe I would probably love to get more ARC. However, cost is very much a limiting factor for me in this one, although every piece I have seen or heard have been excellent!

Therefore I am really hoping that the little ARC gets me some of both that sweet ARC performance and a good taste of the tube flavor.

The bottom line is I have tried to keep moving forward and adding when and where I can. At this point I am very happy at what my system has evolved to and the pieces I have been able to obtain. Oh, by the way, even back in the old days my system always seemed to be a mish mash of different brands. Not always by plan, but more or less how it worked out by what I was able to obtain.

Looking at the old photo I found of my system back then... Audionics amplifies, Dayton Wright pre-amplifier, Nakamichi deck, Technics pro-line tuner, VPI record cleaner, KEF speakers, Audio-Linear table, SME III arm, Grace cartridge.... nothing much has changed ....
Old 01-22-2017, 03:03 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
I have not received the amp yet, but from my understanding it was completely re-tubed by ARC! I have not thought about rolling tubes. I think I need to get the unit and play with it a bit before thinking about that ....

I was sort of kidding you Randy. Seems ARC likes to do their own thing with tubes and I don't see much talk of people rolling them.

Good luck with it!
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 01-22-2017, 03:05 PM

I take it that your answer is no.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM

Randy, I personally think that you would gain more "arc magic" by pairing an arc preamp with your ampzilla. But you'll have fun with it I'm sure.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 PM

Bill: Hehe... at this point ... maybe down the road...

Craig: I have never heard of people doing a lot of rolling with ARC, but there are some threads out there. No interest at this point though...

Marc: Would love to try it, but none have presented themselves to me as of yet

Last edited by Randy Myers; 01-22-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Randy

The source of the amp also had an LS-26 for sale.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Hmmmm... I see a couple out there but not from the same source that I am getting the amp (unless he does not have in advertised). Either way I can't afford a pre now with just buying the amp. Down the road, probably would look at something like this....