AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2017, 08:28 PM

Default USB a to b recommendations?

Looks like I am going to join the Tidal bandwagon... will need a USB a to b cable to connect to my Oppo Sonica DAC. Seeking advice and input into selection. So many options.

Went to the Apple Store this weekend as the wife was going to get me a Mac mini for work and music. The staff there talked us out of it, saying it has not been updated in so long, that is a sign they are going to stop producing it. Their replacement appears to be the Mac Pro, which looks like it would be phenomenal for music, but I don’t know enough about it, it may be more than I need at the moment.

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

They said in this area it is mostly used by engineering firms and music producers. They call it the “trash can”, because that is what it looks like. It’s pretty slick looking, and ultimately I would like one. We got a second iMac I will use for any work from home, and more importantly - music. For now, that’ll be my source. Until, maybe a Mac Pro in the future... though that is for another post.

So, I have been looking at USB a to b options. 3 meters is bare minimum for my setup. The usual question is, how much are you willing to spend? $300 or so would be nice. We all know, once the discussion gets started, that number gets pushed up, and I am ok with it, within reason, if I get talked into it because additional cost seems truly or overwhelmingly worth it.

Initially, I have been looking at:

- AudioQuest Carbon - 3 and 5 meter options available (Coffee and Diamond are too much, but would love to try either)
- Shunyata Venom - 3 meters only available, very reasonably priced for such a well-regarded maker
- Cardas - Clear Serial Bus, has various nice sizing options, which is a plus
- Kimber - Kimber Kable USB B Bus vs AG Silver USB Bus. Each has 3 to 5 meter options. I have 8tc speaker cables, and they were an outstanding upgrade, so I’ve got good vibes for Kimber
- Wire World - would be nice, my other interconnects are WW thanks to Ivan, have each been noticeably superb upgrades, and when the time is right will likely pm him to see what is comparable. Ivan has a penchant for making us offers we can’t refuse.
- Pangea - Audio Premier SE, is super affordable, 3 and 5 meter options available. and I’ve been happy so far with their power cables, but know nothing about their interconnects. I suspect if I got this I would soon upgrade again. Would prefer to skip that step if I can, but am ok with this for a stepping stone if need be.

My system is not quite yet discerning enough to pick out the finer details, but I am hoping to get there. This is the fun of the hobby!

Any experience or feedback is welcome, especially if anyone has experience with these, or comparable, options.

Thanks,
Shrinky