AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 07-10-2019, 01:05 AM

Default Porsche 718 GT4 and Spyder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqW-cQPL6tE
Old 07-10-2019, 01:14 AM

That GT4 will be an absolute hoot to drive. GT3 suspension and a a naturally aspirated flat-six. 4L 420hp engine. What more can one ask for? In fact I would prefer this to any Turbo!

I've never owned a GT4 but did take the previous gen out for a test drive. It was faaantastic. The Spyder are also fun and I have owned two gens of the Spyder but I prefer the Cayman/718 platform.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:18 AM

Kudos to Porsche for addressing the PURIST's needs.

The new 718 Cayman GT4 uses a 4.0-liter, 8000-rpm, bored, stroked, and turbo-free version of the 992-generation 911's 3.0-liter 9A2EVO engine. Hitting the high notes requires new cylinder heads, valves, pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft. The intake manifold, with two resonance flaps, is also new. The free-breathing six-cylinder makes 414 horsepower at 7600 rpm and 309 pound-feet of torque from 5000 to 6800 rpm. That’s an increase of 29 horses over the 2016 GT4, which made identical torque. The only gearbox paired to this engine is a six-speed manual.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That GT4 will be an absolute hoot to drive. GT3 suspension and a a naturally aspirated flat-six. 4L 420hp engine. What more can one ask for? In fact I would prefer this to any Turbo!

I've never owned a GT4 but did take the previous gen out for a test drive. It was faaantastic. The Spyder are also fun and I have owned two gens of the Spyder but I prefer the Cayman/718 platform.
I never drove one but considered buying it at some point but the mark-up over list was too much for my taste.

Seeing how the previous one has done, it's fair to say that you wouldn't lose money if you can get one at list.

It will certainly be more fun than a turbo. I always thought NA to be the only way to go. When I drove the 991.2 I thought that the car had worse acceleration and overall enjoyment vs my 997.2 S
Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I never drove one but considered buying it at some point but the mark-up over list was too much for my taste.

Seeing how the previous one has done, it's fair to say that you wouldn't lose money if you can get one at list.

It will certainly be more fun than a turbo. I always thought NA to be the only way to go. When I drove the 991.2 I thought that the car had worse acceleration and overall enjoyment vs my 997.2 S
They do retain value very well. Virtually the same price as new even with 40k miles for the last gen. My “greedy” dealer was not happy with my GT3RS “etiquette” as he put it LOL (I wasn’t as impressed with it as I thought I’d be and sold it right away). Sooo if I wanted to get one it would be very tough with a new dealer at this point as most people have deposits in place for years. I’ll look into it though. Expensive? Yes! But it is a fun way to “park” the money and it will cost virtually nothing to enjoy it for a few years and if kept looong term may even appreciate.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
They do retain value very well. Virtually the same price as new even with 40k miles for the last gen. My “greedy” dealer was not happy with my GT3RS “etiquette” as he put it LOL (I wasn’t as impressed with it as I thought I’d be and sold it right away). Sooo if I wanted to get one it would be very tough with a new dealer at this point as most people have deposits in place for years. I’ll look into it though. Expensive? Yes! But it is a fun way to “park” the money and it will cost virtually nothing to enjoy it for a few years and if kept looong term may even appreciate.
That's how you should see it. Not expecting to make money but to drive it for free for a few years.

You should look into it as the market as reached a saturation point on all of those "limited run" models. You can see the 720s hasn't been selling the way McLaren thought it would, Ferrari is a bit of an oddity in this market but even they are feeling it.

On Porsche, the number of gen2 GT3 coming on the market is absolutely insane. There is at least 1 or 2 per day over the last couple of months (when I started following the market). Even the RS is barely over list now.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's how you should see it. Not expecting to make money but to drive it for free for a few years.

You should look into it as the market as reached a saturation point on all of those "limited run" models. You can see the 720s hasn't been selling the way McLaren thought it would, Ferrari is a bit of an oddity in this market but even they are feeling it.

On Porsche, the number of gen2 GT3 coming on the market is absolutely insane. There is at least 1 or 2 per day over the last couple of months (when I started following the market). Even the RS is barely over list now.
While I’ve never really looked at any of the new cars as an investment,
I’ve always been careful and methodical in my approach to acquiring and enjoying the various Porsche, Ferrari and other performance cars so as not to lose a bunch of money on them in the process. In fact from a dozen or so Porsche and half a dozen Ferrari cars, only a few cost me in depreciation. The “special models” have always been a fun and rewarding experience. Some much more than others. It was a fun way to “park”, “make a little”, “lose a little” money for sure.

That obviously does not apply the regular models. That’s called “bend over” when it comes time to trade or sell Which is the obvious norm, even with Ferrari less popular models. $380k in, $180k out in less than 8 years (599GTB for example is now at $120k) is not my idea of fun but a preowned Ferrari at $100k to $180k is a solid way to have fun after depreciation as they tend to find a bottom and stabilize there.

Mclaren is a great car, one drive and one is a believer but they do not enjoy the same heritage as Porsche or especially Ferrari with their street cars. I waited to see what the preowned market had to say about the McLaren and it clearly told me do not buy “new” as well..

The Porsche special models are typically the very pinnacle of performance for the “purist” hence the strong resale. The Porsche “turbo everything” and “you can’t have a manual” in “das rocket ship” because “we know better than you what you need” phase will not be too kind on resale hence the prices cooling off on those models. Now you will say “Danke” for bringing you a 4 cylinder turbo too! Whaaat?? No thanks.

The 4L, non-tubo flat six, singing it’s glorious battle hymn to the top of the naturally aspirated redline, while rowing your own 6 speed, will make any purist have a “cargasm” and walk away soaked in adrenaline and a permanent grin. That’s what matters when it comes to resale.

Last edited by PHC1; 07-10-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Agreed with everything you said.

Ferrari special models do appreciate but if you expect the same of a standard 488 purchased new (or even over sticker if you're crazy enough), you will be in a lot of pain
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Agreed with everything you said.

Ferrari special models do appreciate but if you expect the same of a standard 488 purchased new (or even over sticker if you're crazy enough), you will be in a lot of pain
Definitely NOT in the market for a 488, I've had my fun with those UBER cars. Even spec'd out and ordered a 458 Spyder and had a long standing deposit on the 458 Speciale. The 458 Spyder came in but I turned it down, dealer was very happy. When it came time to order the Speciale, I was already burned out from having so many cars coming and going. It was an obsession of sorts.

My dealer was very happy to have a 458 spyder for resale at something other than "sticker" as I was already a customer with a buyers order at msrp. Not sure how it went with the Speciale, probably made out very well.

The key is getting into a brand new Ferrari model right away and I am talking about their bread and butter models. (For that to happen, one must buy a preowned model and perhaps take a small hit from the dealer and have a deposit well in advance) Once in, if held more than a year to two at most, watch out below. If one year is enough of fun and keeping the mileage under 3k, you won't lose a dime. I got back exactly what I paid for my 458 coupe. It becomes easier down the road since when one car is traded towards the other, there is less of tax implication, at least in PA.

Last edited by PHC1; 07-10-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Just spoke to my local dealer and there are 22 people in line for a GT4 with deposits. So the chances are "slim but not impossible" but I've heard that one before...