AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5351  
Old 06-29-2019, 04:02 PM
Comzee Comzee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode4 View Post
When I received my SE hot rod amp, there was no manual included with the amp. Is there something online I can use to what tubes I can change out in the amp? Right now it uses a 5u4,2 KT66's and a 6sn7.
I know there's some pictures of notepads Dennis has made for what tube + rectifier combos give how many watts.

You could use 6v6/6f6/ <- (run these safely with 5u4), 6l6/6550/kt66/kt77/kt88/kt120/kt150
And for rectifiers you could run 5u4/5r4 families, and gz34(5ar4).
Reply With Quote
  #5352  
Old 06-29-2019, 09:47 PM
x3workshop's Avatar
x3workshop x3workshop is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Harlem
Posts: 229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode4 View Post
When I received my SE hot rod amp, there was no manual included with the amp. Is there something online I can use to what tubes I can change out in the amp? Right now it uses a 5u4,2 KT66's and a 6sn7.
Reach out to Dennis and he'll give you an idea of what YOUR amp can use based on when it was made.
Reply With Quote
  #5353  
Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM
bearcity bearcity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Default

Check out the LP/3.1 Ultra on Ebay.
Reply With Quote
  #5354  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Miami Ed Miami Ed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Default

[QUOTE=bearcity;972216]Check out the LP/3.1 Ultra on Ebay.[/QUOTE

This preamp would sure look nice next to my Inspire universal. What a pretty shade of red.

I am using a 12VDC with the Inspire these days and am very happy with the combination. Regardless, it is very tempting with the upgraded volume control on the Inspire.

I am on the fence.

Ed

Last edited by Miami Ed; 07-12-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: To make it easier to read
Reply With Quote
  #5355  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Miami Ed Miami Ed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Default

[QUOTE=Miami Ed;972507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
Check out the LP/3.1 Ultra on Ebay.[/QUOTE

This preamp would sure look nice next to my Inspire universal. What a pretty shade of red.

I am using a 12VDC with the Inspire these days and am very happy with the combination. Regardless, it is very tempting with the upgraded volume control on the Inspire.

I am on the fence.

Ed

I fell off the fence. I just could not resist. Will report back when my preamp arrives.

I have a 12 by 10 room in which I use Spendor LS3/5A speakers with my Inspire Firebottle. At the moment I am using KT-150's with great results. I have swapped a bunch of different preamps in and out of this set up but I am really looking forward to hearing the 3.1 Ultra.

Ed
Reply With Quote
  #5356  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Miami Ed Miami Ed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Default

[QUOTE=Miami Ed;972632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ed View Post


I fell off the fence. I just could not resist. Will report back when my preamp arrives.

I have a 12 by 10 room in which I use Spendor LS3/5A speakers with my Inspire Firebottle. At the moment I am using KT-150's with great results. I have swapped a bunch of different preamps in and out of this set up but I am really looking forward to hearing the 3.1 Ultra.

Ed
My 3.1 Ultra arrived. I am really bowled over by this preamp. It is the perfect match for my Firebottle with KT-150's.

The most obvious thing one hears is that there is a lot more energy in the higher and lower registers. Drum brush strokes and guitar fingering are much more clearly heard but not in an exaggerated, artificial sense. Listening to classical guitar recordings, one is aware of the musician's fingers moving on the strings. This is not a distraction from the music but rather what one would hear in a concert.

Bass players in jazz combos are also more prominent in the mix. Given my low sensitivity speakers, there is not a tremendous amount of bass energy but what is there is very satisfying in my 10 by 12 room.

Musicians are presented in a wide and deep soundstage. Each performer can be heard in a near-holographic state. The impression above all is that these are living, breathing performers.

The DACT attenuator takes a bit of getting used to but it works fine in tracking the two channels. I think that this is one of the factors in the preamp's superb transparency. I love the minimalist design and the color as well. I would give this a high WAF.

I am really enjoying discovering new things on my favorite recordings with this outstanding preamp. Highly recommended!
Reply With Quote
  #5357  
Old 07-19-2019, 08:23 PM
bearcity bearcity is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Default

[QUOTE=Miami Ed;973459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ed View Post



My 3.1 Ultra arrived. I am really bowled over by this preamp. It is the perfect match for my Firebottle with KT-150's.



The most obvious thing one hears is that there is a lot more energy in the higher and lower registers. Drum brush strokes and guitar fingering are much more clearly heard but not in an exaggerated, artificial sense. Listening to classical guitar recordings, one is aware of the musician's fingers moving on the strings. This is not a distraction from the music but rather what one would hear in a concert.



Bass players in jazz combos are also more prominent in the mix. Given my low sensitivity speakers, there is not a tremendous amount of bass energy but what is there is very satisfying in my 10 by 12 room.



Musicians are presented in a wide and deep soundstage. Each performer can be heard in a near-holographic state. The impression above all is that these are living, breathing performers.



The DACT attenuator takes a bit of getting used to but it works fine in tracking the two channels. I think that this is one of the factors in the preamp's superb transparency. I love the minimalist design and the color as well. I would give this a high WAF.



I am really enjoying discovering new things on my favorite recordings with this outstanding preamp. Highly recommended!


I love that red color of your new pre. A part of me wants to get a pre-amp/amp combo just to get that color. Dreaming for sure.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #5358  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:22 AM
decooney decooney is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 392
Default

[QUOTE=Miami Ed;973459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ed View Post

My 3.1 Ultra arrived. I am really bowled over by this preamp. It is the perfect match for my Firebottle with KT-150's...
Miami Ed,
what preamp were you using prior to the Inspire 3.1?
Reply With Quote
  #5359  
Old 07-22-2019, 08:31 AM
Miami Ed Miami Ed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Default

[QUOTE=bearcity;973524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ed View Post



I love that red color of your new pre. A part of me wants to get a pre-amp/amp combo just to get that color. Dreaming for sure.

Enjoy!
Bear city, I hate to admit it, but the color was a factor. It looks stunning. Not a good reason to choose. Like you, I was dreaming of getting another amp that matches the color but I will stand Pat for now.
Reply With Quote
  #5360  
Old 07-22-2019, 11:54 AM
Miami Ed Miami Ed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 12
Default

[QUOTE=decooney;973792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Ed View Post

Miami Ed,
what preamp were you using prior to the Inspire 3.1?
Decooney, I ran a few preamps running the gamut from a couple of cheap Chinese preamps to my Aikido 12vdc with an Alps Blue Velvet volume control. Of these, the Aikido sounded the best.

The 3.1 is a marked improvement, in transparency and soundstage.

Ed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase