AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 07-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Go Dawgs

Default Momentum Phonostage

The D'agostino Momentum phonostage has really piqued my interest lately, it looks amazing and matches the Momentum series perfectly. Does anyone out there have any experience with this piece or has heard it? Compared to some of Dan's other offerings, there's not a whole lot of press available about it. Enjoythemusic.com has a review of it here but I'm not very familiar with their writers or site:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superio...ier_Review.htm

I'm happy with the sound of my ARC Reference phono 2SE but am curious what there would be to gain (if anything) with the solid state Momentum piece. The ARC phono stage has that great liquid tubelike sound, however, it can get just a touch noisy at higher volumes since I have to use the high gain setting. Normally this doesn't affect listening at my usual low volume listening, but if I ever do get the urge to crank it up a bit, you can hear some enhanced tube rush/noise from the phonostage. I'm also getting up there in tube hours so I'll have to replace those fairly soon as well, so something to think about also. Maybe I could run across a show demo special at RMAF perhaps.....hmmm

It's such a good looking piece of gear as well.

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD player/transport, DCS Rossini DAC/streamer. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Old 07-07-2019, 04:32 PM

I have neither seen nor heard it but it also was of great interest to me at one point. I would certainly look into it if I was in the market for a phonostage of that caliber. All other D'Agostino gear I have owned has simply floored me so I have no doubt this phonostage is a serious piece worthy of a consideration.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:25 PM

Default Momentum Phonostage

I’ve heard it a couple of times at a dealer, the last time with the Momentum pre, an upper end Clearaudio table (I think the Master Innovation), the Relentless, and Wilson speakers (don’t remember which one but Marc was there, he‘ll remember). It sounded great, but the system was unfamiliar so I don’t know what may have been contributing.

Michael Fremer reviewed it in Stereophile in February 2017 and liked it, it’s one of their “Class A” recommended components. Here’s the review, it’s on the D’Agostino website.
http://cdn.dandagostino.com/document...inaleprint.pdf
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250 amp & HD preamp; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion; Boulder 508; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & EF power, Ztron Cobra IC & SC; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, ISOAcoustics Orea footers, HRS Damping Plates; SonicTransporter i7 & Synology DS412+; Audio Desk Pro
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6, WA7 & WA8; Auralic Aries Mini, Sonore MicroRendu & UltraRendu, A&K AK100 II, AKG Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow C, Various Moon Audio dragons
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, Nordost Blue Heaven power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Vintage Yamaha CA-1010 amp & CT-1010 tuner, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, Schiit BiFrost, AZ & WW cables
Video: Sony XBR65X850C; Apple TV-4; Vienna Acoustics Schönberg L/R, Webern center & surrounds; REL T1/T2/T3 subs; Arcam AVR850; Cambridge Audio 752BD; MIT-EXP SC

Last edited by Antonmb; 07-07-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:39 PM

I had the ARC REF2se and the REF3. The Dag phono pre is so much more dynamic and quieter. I have a bunch of Dag gear and I think the phono pre is the “sleeper” in the bunch. It’s truly a special phono pre. Audition in your system.

Dan D'Agostino Momentum Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi DAC
dCS Vivaldi Clock
dCS Network Bridge
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
JL Audio f113 x 4
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Esoteric K-03X, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MEN220, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
I’ve heard it a couple of times at a dealer, the last time with the Momentum pre, an upper end Clearaudio table (I think the Master Innovation), the Relentless, and Wilson speakers (don’t remember which one but Marc was there, he‘ll remember). It sounded great, but the system was unfamiliar so I don’t know what may have been contributing.

Michael Fremer reviewed it in Stereophile in February 2017 and liked it, it’s one of their “Class A” recommended components. Here’s the review, it’s on the D’Agostino website.
http://cdn.dandagostino.com/document...inaleprint.pdf
Thanks Tony, don’t know how I missed that.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD player/transport, DCS Rossini DAC/streamer. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
I had the ARC REF2se and the REF3. The Dag phono pre is so much more dynamic and quieter. I have a bunch of Dag gear and I think the phono pre is the “sleeper” in the bunch. It’s truly a special phono pre. Audition in your system.
Thanks for the info.....what were some of the other differences you heard in the sound? Did you have both Phono preamps on hand so you were able to compare for a period of time? I read the review that Fremer wrote and am curious if your experience matches up with what he reported. A home audition would be great but I’m not sure my dealer has ever had the Phono pre on display at his store. If he did I could get a loaner for a weekend.....I’ll have to ask next time I’m in there.

- Buck
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 PM

There’s a used one on the gon right now
C2600,MP1100,MC452,Dr. Feikert Woodpecker w/Koetsu Blackline,Bluesound Node 2i, Pioneer UDP-LX500 W/ Modwright Mod, Legacy Signature SE,Audio Desk Vinyl Cleaner Pro,Granite Audio #430 IC’s #560 SEGC Power Cords Furman IT-Ref 15i
Old 07-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

I am in the camp of matching pieces, like in this case all D’Ag or another alternative like a Clear Audio Turn Table and their selection of phono amps.
Power Conditioning, Filters & Switch: Nordost QRT Power Product Line, Furutech GTX-D NCF/GTX 105D, 20 AMP Dedicated w/Surge Protection, AQVox SE switch, Keces LPS P3’s & P8 w/Nordost AC power and Ghent DC cables for Gigafoil v4, modem, routers, switches & Stillpoints.
Cables, Isolation, Room Treatment: Nordost Supreme Reference (Odin) Distribution, Reference Line (Valhalla 2) Components and Speakers, Ansuz C2, HRS M3X Platforms & Damping Plates. Stillpoint’s Ultra 6/SS and Vicoustic Room Treatments
Power & Sound: D’Agostino Pre-Amplifier to D’Agostino Momentum Mono’s driving Wilson Alexia’s
Source and Digital: Aurender N10, Brinkmann Nyquist MKII
Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 PM

I, too, am in the synergy camp. The ARC phono pres I had were with ref5se and ref6. I prefer the sound of the Dag gear by a large margin. I loved the ARC gear, but for me, the Dag gear is a big sonic step up. IMHO

Dan D'Agostino Momentum Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi DAC
dCS Vivaldi Clock
dCS Network Bridge
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
JL Audio f113 x 4
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Esoteric K-03X, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MEN220, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand