AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-09-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeophile View Post
The signal ground should be attached to the ground posts on the back of the Triton/Denali and to any unused RCA jack on your equipment.
Just to make sure I understand it correctly, connecting to any RCA jack, like a digital coax input, would have the same benefit as connecting to an analog output RCA jack?

I tried to read up a bit about signal grounding, but it wasn't clear to me if you need to connect to an actual signal output, or if any physical connection to the PCB works just as well.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM

First I'd like to thank you all who are actively sharing and discussing valuable experiences and wisdoms. I have learned alot especially from this thread.

I have been testing various groundings using Triton's CGS/SGS posts (eg, DAC, amp, clock, network devices(switch hub, router)). What I found during these experiments is ... as more and more components and devices are connected to CGS posts, it is true noise flooer is lowered and stage is widen with more resolutions. But, at the same time, I found that the sound lost dynamic and became flat. I mean...it feels like losing high and bass. or it sounds like all the sounds converge to the middle. (sorry for my poor English.. it is not my mother tongue)

Is there anyone experience the same thing?

* I used OCC copper and silver wires
* Connections
- Components' RCA terminals (analog and digital) to CGS
- Network devices' chassis to CGS
- Network devices' dc plugs to CGS (like ifi groundhog)
* Multiple connection wires are connected one CGS post
(Around 10~12 wires are connected to 4 CGS posts)
* I use CGS posts of Triton v3 and Alpha a12
(I wanted to separate power distributors between audio components and digital devices)

Thank you.

Last edited by theLoner; 03-16-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Using the Triton V2 CGS, I've noticed that my system has less noise, a more expansive and 3D soundstage, a bit more dynamic punch, and plays louder. This was especially true once I got my amp grounded to the Triton.

I haven't noticed any change in frequency response...just more detail across the board and a richer tonal palette...likely due to less noise.

All my components are chassis grounded to the Triton, save for the pre, which is grounded from an unused RCA input.

IIRC, Shunyata recommends on their website to try adding one ground wire at a time and see what the effect is. In my case, getting them all grounded worked well, but YMMV.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuke View Post
Just to make sure I understand it correctly, connecting to any RCA jack, like a digital coax input, would have the same benefit as connecting to an analog output RCA jack?

I tried to read up a bit about signal grounding, but it wasn't clear to me if you need to connect to an actual signal output, or if any physical connection to the PCB works just as well.
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but my understanding is you can obtain signal grounding by connecting an RCA plug that is only wired to the outer, negative "shell" to an unused RCA jack. Not sure that it matters whether its an input or an output, analog or digital. Some types of components that already provide their own internal signal grounding systems, e.g. Esoteric or First Sound, etc. would not require this. This should obviate the need to connect to the internal circuitry (not all components utilize a PCB).
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLoner View Post
First I'd like to thank you all who are actively sharing and discussing valuable experiences and wisdoms. I have learned alot especially from this thread.

I have been testing various groundings using Triton's CGS/SGS posts (eg, DAC, amp, clock, network devices(switch hub, router). What I found during these experiments is ... as more and more components and devices are connected to CGS posts, it is true noise flooer is lowered and stage is widen with more resolutions. But, at the same time, I found that the sound lost dynamic and became flat. I mean...it feels like losing high and bass. or it sounds like all the sounds converge to the middle. (sorry for my bad English.. it is not my mother language)

Is there anyone experience the same thing?

* I used OCC copper and silver wires
* Connections
- Components' RCA terminals (analog and digital) to CGS
- Network devices' chassis to CGS
- Network devices' dc plugs to CGS (like ifi groundhog)
* Multiple connection wires are connected one CGS post
(Around 10~12 wires are connected to 4 CGS posts)
* I use CGS posts of Triton v3 and Alpha a12
(I wanted to separate power distributors between audio components and digital
devices)

Thank you.
My understanding is that if a component uses a 3-prong plug (with one prong being ground) and its plugged into Triton, Denali, etc. you do not need to run another chassis ground wire to one of Triton's CGS ground posts. However, if you have a component that is not powered by Triton, e.g. a monoblock that is too far away to be plugged into it, you can run a ground cable from a chassis screw or ground post, etc. from that component to one of Triton's ground posts to benefit from Triton's chassis grounding system.

For DACs, etc., you can provide signal grounding by the method described above, for example connecting a wire from the negative of a RCA plug to a copper bolt; not to one of Triton's ground posts. As for network devices, not sure how one might ground these for signal as they typically do not have a connection that one could attach a plug to. If their power supplies use 3-prong cords, then they should have "chassis grounding."
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 AM

I have heard that if a component is plugged into Triton, then the component is chassis grounded so I don't need to connect CGS post and componet's chassis with a grounding wire.

But.... Here are what I found so far ...
(all my components are plugged into Triton v3)

* if I connect component's terminals(eg. RCA(analog or digital), BNC) to CGS post, the noise floor is lowered with better resolution.
and then if I connect multiple grounding wires between the component and CGS, the noise floor is lowered even further but as I said in the previous post, the sound becomes flat (narrow dynamic range)
* the sounds become different as I switch the component's terminals for grounding connections.
From my experience, analog RCA terminals are most effective
* If I attach a grounding wire to a metal connector of ethernet cable and the other end to CGS post, it also lowered noise floor.
* If I attach a ground wire to chassis of a router(metal case) and the other end to CGS, it also lowered noise floor.
* But, if I apply many grounding wire to my audio system(incluing network), the sound became flat with better resolution (I hear the sound which I wasn't aware before but the tone of sound is downed.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
My understanding is that if a component uses a 3-prong plug (with one prong being ground) and its plugged into Triton, Denali, etc. you do not need to run another chassis ground wire to one of Triton's CGS ground posts. However, if you have a component that is not powered by Triton, e.g. a monoblock that is too far away to be plugged into it, you can run a ground cable from a chassis screw or ground post, etc. from that component to one of Triton's ground posts to benefit from Triton's chassis grounding system.

For DACs, etc., you can provide signal grounding by the method described above, for example connecting a wire from the negative of a RCA plug to a copper bolt; not to one of Triton's ground posts. As for network devices, not sure how one might ground these for signal as they typically do not have a connection that one could attach a plug to. If their power supplies use 3-prong cords, then they should have "chassis grounding."

I’m going to check this out. My Luxman L590 and D05 only have two prong IEC’s.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:53 PM
Racing Hoopties

Does the grounding wire have to be solid?
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Does the grounding wire have to be solid?
No.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
No.

[emoji106]
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack